Pinecones

The point of the lumpy evergreen is that they're going extinct and once they're gone, they're gone.

Sure thing. But if they are supposed to extinct, where do they come from? The point here is to turn an evergreen into a lumpy evergreen. Not to turn a lumpy evergreen into a normal evergreen, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Sure thing. But if they are supposed to extinct, where do they come from? The point here is to turn an evergreen into a lumpy evergreen. Not to turn a lumpy evergreen into a normal evergreen, so that shouldn't be a problem.

They're the navel oranges of DS.  Maybe someone/thing was helping them propagate before, but they disappeared, leaving lumpies in the lurch.

I like the idea of a random chance for a lumpy evergreen.  I always feel bad cutting them down.

I agree, I also hate cutting down lumpy evergreens as well as birchnut trees, because it's way less efficient than cultivating evergreens with pinecones. Birchnut trees only drop a single birchnut, and often not even one. I'd hate to eventually have deforested deciduous tree biomes and occasional compact rows of cultivated invasive evergreens everywhere. I'm all for more cultivation options of the other tree species and consequently long-lasting variety.

There is currently no incentive to cut down any other tree species other than evergreens, making these Birchnut tree guards a rather pointless and wasted addition.

An idea that just popped up: Create different kinds of logs: hardwood log for birchnut trees, conifer wood log for evergreens.

According to a quick google search, hardwood burns longer whereas conifer wood burns quicker but also hotter (due to its high amount of resin). So, for Don't Starve, you could increase the fuel value of hardwood logs (or decrease conifer wood logs') and thus increase the attractiveness of cultivating birchnut trees in a scientifically accurate way!

I agree, I also hate cutting down lumpy evergreens as well as birchnut trees, because it's way less efficient than cultivating evergreens with pinecones. Birchnut trees only drop a single birchnut, and often not even one. I'd hate to eventually have deforested deciduous tree biomes and occasional compact rows of cultivated invasive evergreens everywhere. I'm all for more cultivation options of the other tree species and consequently long-lasting variety.

There is currently no incentive to cut down any other tree species other than evergreens, making these Birchnut tree guards a rather pointless and wasted addition.

An idea that just popped up: Create different kinds of logs: hardwood log for birchnut trees, conifer wood log for evergreens.

According to a quick google search, hardwood burns longer whereas conifer wood burns quicker but also hotter (due to its high amount of resin). So, for Don't Starve, you could increase the fuel value of hardwood logs (or decrease conifer wood logs') and thus increase the attractiveness of cultivating birchnut trees in a scientifically accurate way!

The problem is you're trying to treat birchnut trees the same as evergreen trees when the simple fact of the matter is that birchnut trees are a more intricate beast than evergreen trees are.

For starters, you're mistaken; if you chop down a birchnut tree in it's largest phase it's guaranteed to drop a birchnut meaning that birchnut trees can easily replace themselves. The only time a birchnut tree will not drop a birchnut is if you chop down a tree that's not fully grown or during winter when the tree has lost all it's leaves. I'm unsure if a birchnut tree drops a birchnut if burnt to a crisp, but I doubt it.

The reason why a fully grown birchnut tree only drops a single birchnut as opposed to a fully grown evergreen tree dropping two pine cones is because unlike pine cones, you can eat birchnuts. This is a matter of balance. You can either choose to replace the tree or eat the birchnut.

Also, calling the birchnut guards "pointless" is ironic considering they're the answer to your birchnut deforestation woes. You see, when a birchnut tree goes feral, it will spawn birchnutters. If you kill a birchnutter they have a chance to drop twigs or birchnuts. A single birchnut guard can easily spawn a couple dozen of birchnutters. I once got 15 birchnuts off a single birchnut guard. Each one of those birchnuts could be used to make a birchnut tree if I so desired. 1 birchnut guard = 15 birchnut trees.

Not to mention if you can manage to fell the birchnut guard with an axe it'll drop a few birchnuts as well.

You say there's no incentive to chop down birchnut trees, but trail mix is an awesomely easy crock pot food to make and it's not all that bad in the healing department. Plenty of incentive if you ask me, and with 15 birchnuts, that'll make quite a lot of trail mix and a small grove of birchnut trees to see if I can't get one to go feral again.

Archived