Catcoon drops should be tweaked

I think the Catcap is dropping way to much. I already have 4 of them and they are really good. I don't even need other hats.
Also the meat you get is too good. Maybe it should drop a morsel.

Agreed on the cap.   There was never much reason to use the rabbit earmuffs but now there's even less, unless a total newb is still learning and doesn't explore much at the start and so doesn't find the autumn biome.  But really, it seems like it's almost always near the center of the map these days - shouldn't be hard to find.

Moreover it drops a fully formed cap.  Aside from the giants (which Klei has said will change) no other creature drops fully formed clothing.  Well, the spider queen but in that case you're pretty much wearing her skull, whereas the catcap is clearly tailored.  And the spider queen is much harder fight than a catcoon. I feel like considering the ease of killing them (or they just kill each other) and finding caps lying around, the player should at least be forced to toss some beefalo wool or silk in the mix.  Do a *little* work for it.  Imo the meat is balanced by the fact they're limited.  But the cap, you only need one and then just repair it forever.  Or use up a couple and repair your last one.  You sure get enough of them.

The thing about making it a rarer drop is that you have a hard limit on how many catcoons you get. But I do admit that you can end up with a lot fairly easily, and that it's strange for it to drop as a fully formed hat.

Perhaps, like the giants, it's already planned to be changed into an item for crafting instead.

Agreed on the cap.   There was never much reason to use the rabbit earmuffs but now there's even less, unless a total newb is still learning and doesn't explore much at the start and so doesn't find the autumn biome.  But really, it seems like it's almost always near the center of the map these days - shouldn't be hard to find.

Moreover it drops a fully formed cap.  Aside from the giants (which Klei has said will change) no other creature drops fully formed clothing.  Well, the spider queen but in that case you're pretty much wearing her skull, whereas the catcap is clearly tailored.  And the spider queen is much harder fight than a catcoon. I feel like considering the ease of killing them (or they just kill each other) and finding caps lying around, the player should at least be forced to toss some beefalo wool or silk in the mix.  Do a *little* work for it.  Imo the meat is balanced by the fact they're limited.  But the cap, you only need one and then just repair it forever.  Or use up a couple and repair your last one.  You sure get enough of them.

Yes, there are really easy to find. Winter isn't really scary anymore. And I agree that the rabbit earmuffs are now nearly useless.

I hope they change the dropchance or make it craftable. 33% percent is too high for such a good hat.

I didn't know that the meat was limited. But now that I know that they've just 9 lives it seems ok. :)

I think the Catcap is dropping way to much. I already have 4 of them and they are really good. I don't even need other hats.

Also the meat you get is too good. Maybe it should drop a morsel.

Yes! Yes! Yes!  :livid:

Morsel instead of Meat and maybe a Catcoon pelt (with 10% drop rate) instead of a Catap as a ingredient for the recipe.

It would require additional 4 Silks to craft the cap.

What do you think?

Yes! Yes! Yes!  :livid:

Morsel instead of Meat and maybe a Catcoon pelt (with 10% drop rate) instead of a Catap as a ingredient for the recipe.

It would require additional 4 Silks to craft the cap.

What do you think?

It would be better like it is now. Not to forget, that they hunt birds and rabbits for you. Even if catcoons are limited, they give you a lot and make the early game extremly easy. Rain, cold and hunger are no big threats until the catcoons run out. But with this extra time you can prepare really well.

Archived