Land/ocean edges too safe

Hey guys, I actually don't have Reign of Giants yet. I have to finish the semester first :razz:. So perhaps it's kind of ridiculous for me to be making a suggestion here, but I thought this was worth suggesting.

I've always felt the sea-shores are way too safe, and that annoys me. They function kind of like walls, and can protect you from mobs on one side. They provide respite. I have a map where I built a base into an almost-island and it's too sheltered from the perils of the open world. I feel safe when I camp next to the edge -but that should not be so! 

If this DLC is being developed to add more to the overworld and add new mobs, why not add a mob to the edge of the ocean? Something that would hide most of the time, but if you get too cozy hanging out near the edges, could come along and unexpectedly attack you from the shore. Perhaps a more aquatic version of tentacles? (Kracken arms? To like, reach out at you from the water?) Or something freaky from the deep ocean? I dunno. It would add some deterrent to using oceans as walls. Just a little extra something to scare the bajeebers out of Wilson at night and put him back in his place.

An actual ocean giant would be cool, but maybe a little far fetched. Whatever it was would probably be hard to reach to attack back unless it was actively attacking you, and maybe you wouldn't be able to collect much of the loot it dropped because it would all go into the water. Maybe it would also occasionally eat a pengull that nested too close to the water. Reaching out a slithery tentacle, making some horrible gurgling noises. . .

So now I've put this out there. *shrug* I can't wait to partake in this new DLC.

Not on RoG, the frogs can cross oceans and frog rain will hit you here you stand regardless of you being surrounded only by land edges.

After a frog rain ended I was standing on an edge with a very narrow ocean strip with the frog rain frogs on the other side of the ocean strip thinking I was safe and they jumped trough it to kill me.  :hypnotized:

They actually make it harder for you to run away from frogs now :razz:

Not on RoG, the frogs can cross oceans and frog rain will hit you here you stand regardless of you being surrounded only by land edges.

After a frog rain ended I was standing on an edge with a very narrow ocean strip with the frog rain frogs on the other side of the ocean strip thinking I was safe and they jumped trough it to kill me.  :hypnotized:

They actually make it harder for you to run away from frogs now :razz:

Well hey, maybe that does the trick then! Those bull frogs have no respect :p

Yeah. I like the Kraken idea. Maybe it could look like the giant tentacles in the caves, but it would be green. I never really thought of the ocean as a "protection" though. I just like to camp out there when I'm doing a major exploration to get something that I need, not for safety, but for the calming ocean sounds it makes. Eh.

I really like the idea of a danger coming from the sea. I think it could be very simple. For example :

If you build a few things on a square of land, right next to a shore, some cracks could appear in the ground, and after a few days, cracks would get bigger, and then the whole peace of ground would collapse into the sea.

If you want a monster, I also have an idea I like. What abouta kind of giant Medusa? (from greek mythology, not a jellyfish). On the first days, only the snake would attack you (or, most likely, your structures), making you believe it's a kind of Hydra, you're facing. But after a fex days camping on the shores, a giant face could come out of the water and eat the peace of land.

Yeah, I know it may sound dumb, like this, but with appropriate design, I really think it could be great.

I prefer the first idea, though, cause it's 'Dont Starve', not 'Don't Get Killed by Wildlife'.

Archived