Add ways of preserving veggies

Golden cans? But seriously, has anyone ever had food problems in Dont Starve?

How luxurious!  Of course, the gold is more symbolic of using a limited/precious resource than actually using gold.

The issue of food preservation is related to vegetarian play; with the combination of shorter spoil time and lack of grown veggies in the winter, there are structural/design issues keeping players from attempting a different style of play. I am a founder of the Dried Veggies caucus, but there are also Picklers and Greenhousers.

On the whole vegetarian playstyle: with the recent addition of Wigfrid, I feel like there should be a vegetarian character that refuses from eating meat aswell. Not only would that be a good challenge, but also a nice motivation to add some veggie preservation mechanics to the game.

Ah, the glorious history of canned foods... maybe Alchemy Engine could unlock "Improved Canned Food, now with aluminum cans!" for more taste, less lead poisoning.

And then there is the shadow manipulator version; Shadow Cans;

Displace your food from time AND space!

Something might be done with magic to transform foods between meats and vegetables. Something like a magic crock pot. Fun things could be done as well with things going awry with low sanity producing foods with odd effects, perhaps a bit of randomness in what the recipe yields.

I remember at one point making food with lots of honey. I believe I was making dragonpies with 1 dragon fruit and 3 honey and it randomly would be either a pie or candy. It was delightful. I'm gonna go test that right now in fact, maybe I can even come up with some percentages.

Edit: I must have imagined it or the cooking priorities were changed.  :wilson_resigned: Either way I like the idea of a magic cooking pot.

Edit: I remember now! I was making cookies! I'm testing That now.

Edit: I must have imagined it or the cooking priorities were changed.  :wilson_resigned: Either way I like the idea of a magic cooking pot.

Yep, when making cookies with 1 pumpkin and 3 honey there's a 50/50 chance that it'll be either Taffy or Cookies. I love that so much  :wilson_love:

Something might be done with magic to transform foods between meats and vegetables. Something like a magic crock pot. Fun things could be done as well with things going awry with low sanity producing foods with odd effects, perhaps a bit of randomness in what the recipe yields.

I remember at one point making food with lots of honey. I believe I was making dragonpies with 1 dragon fruit and 3 honey and it randomly would be either a pie or candy. It was delightful. I'm gonna go test that right now in fact, maybe I can even come up with some percentages.

Oh man, I was so mad when I ended up with taffy instead of dragonpie!  But I sure learned a lesson on that one.

On the whole vegetarian playstyle: with the recent addition of Wigfrid, I feel like there should be a vegetarian character that refuses from eating meat aswell. Not only would that be a good challenge, but also a nice motivation to add some veggie preservation mechanics to the game.

I like this idea; the character could have a special ability (like Wickerbottom's books) that lets them do super-preservation of veggies (pickles or something else).

Too bad the kill mechanics would be too difficult to negotiate; a "freegan" character would be hilarious ("I didn't kill it, the Beefalo just stood in fire."). Oh wait, that's how I normally play. 

Archived