Survive in summer

Hello,

First, i'm not complaining, i know there is an update in three days and probably some more stuff.

I've survived Winter and Spring and was not perfectly prepared for Summer, but i'll try. I die near day 61 because of a stupid error (meat and bunny, oups !)

But there are some things annoying me :

- If i die in winter, and respawning at touchstone, i can try making a torch and burn things for running to my base.

It's hard but sometimes possibles.

In summer, i can't hope make this, because there isn't a refreshing thing you can make with basic stuff.

- In theory, you could try make a pretty parasol and at least, gaining time to go to your base. But it is the second point : a great part of the plant are withered. So you can't harvest grass, twig etc to make things. I've not find enough for even a torch.

- Seeing that so many things wasn't harvestable, i wonder : why even bother travelling ? There is nothing to do especially in summer !

Sometime i go outside in winter when i lack of twig or grass. I could harvest some : they will not grow back since winter, but at least i can find some, so i have a reason to travel.

In summer, if so many things are withered, it is not worth a trip far of my base.

- If i die of heatstroke, i respawn with the same level of heat. Meaning i start losing HP. Don't know if it is the same with the cold in winter. Maybe restart the temperature at death ?

- In the cave, resources are withering too... I was knowing there was heat, but if there is at this point nothing fun in cave in summer, i find it really sad.

- There is a lack of summer related content. Things to do in summer, to find in summer. I know there is an update soon and that the summer is new, so content will be add. But for the moment, summer is dead time. And deadly, too.

Just a word about touchstone : i know that you must prepare things near touchstone, if you want really it to be usefull. But summer let you less chance if you make errors. It could be a will, of course, but i find more interessing a desesperate run to survive burning all in your way in winter that the "ok, i'm dead" that summer is for now.

Hope it can help !

Gonna go summer for the first time right now... got about 15x ice and... well that's it.

A chest near touchstone with some things inside can save your life, but to be honest... I always too lazy to do that. And I die. I die quite often like this. Lazy is bad.

M'kay?

Starting from spring is harder, but if you start in autumn, there's no reason at all not to be able to build eight ice hats.  I mean aside from the messed up winter wetness system. 

I think Klei's taken quite a bit of flak on the cave weather thing, so I'm interested to see where they actually go with it in the update.  Lantern juggling was definitely hard enough without wearing a block of ice on my head, making it harder to use either the miner helmet or shelmet.  But cave diving in the summer seems a bit more plausible than in the winter to me right now.  At least the ice block actively cools you.  All the winter clothing and heat stone do is delay your inevitable freezing.

Just a word about touchstone : i know that you must prepare things near touchstone, if you want really it to be usefull. 

What else could we tell you ?

I started my game in spring and mini glaciers where big enough to make an ice cube hat (and I'm sure I could have make a second).

So with a pretty parasol and an ice cube hat, it's easy to survive half of the summer and using well the heat stone will allow you to deal with the second part.

But the question is what to do during summer ? For me the answer was simply to work on my base. One important thing to do during summer is to dig saplings, grass tufts and berry bushes before to plant them near to your base and more important, near to an ice flingomatic: with the tumbleweeds it's the only way to get grass and twins.

It's not a really good season to explore the map because forest fires are really bad but if you be careful and work on the expansion of your camp those 20 days can't be so bad.

What else could we tell you ?

I regret just that you could try to reach your base in winter, by burning things, then you can't do this in summer, because you can do nothing.

If i don't prepare for winter, i could try, and often will die, but sometime, burn all i can to survive work, and i find there is here something fun and challenging. If i don't prepare for summer, i will die or not die only depending of distance between my base and me. Not my choice of burning this sapling or not. No "If i burn this sapling i'm sure i can reach this tree... But if i do that, i burn a sapling, forever... But if i do not, i lost my world. But the tree is so near !"

There is no choice. I love desesperates choices !

I regret just that you could try to reach your base in winter, by burning things, then you can't do this in summer, because you can do nothing.

Yes, I agree with you on that point. We can only hope that there will be something to deal with it on the next update !

After all, I can't tell you more. The only solution for now is in fact to be provident.

Archived