My experience so far with this DLC

Rain rain rain rain snow, tools be wet, let me cut a tree so Charlie won't bite me, OMFG leave me alone terrorbeak. Dead. Rain and snow fall waaaaaay too often. Rly. And tools should dry near a fire, it becomes unplayable with like a 3-day or so drying period, as probs rain will start to fall again. 

Since I play Maxwell a lot, I feel kinda cheap because I don't I have to deal with these catastrophic sanity issues from rain  :cool2:

Usually a good idea is to gather a crap ton of flowers and make the Pretty Parasol, in the survival tab, don't need a science machine. Those things got me through an entire summer before I experienced negative side effects from wetness.

Setting it to Autumn in custom world to me feels like I'm cheating. I set everything to default, if I get Autumn then cool if not well....

Personally I think Klei will change it so we always start with the same season every new game. At least I think it's better that way.

By that time you should have the gear to handle the cold and the rain though.

If you don't find a swamp before winter, that's not necessarily the case, as you'll be left with just an umbrella to deal with the wet, which I'm not sure that's enough for spring (all 3 of  my worlds so far have started autumn, so I can't speak to a spring start).   That's what happened to me as I spent a lot of time in my first RoG world oogling new biomes and creatures, rather than full-on exploring like normal.   One could argue that RoG is for hardcore players who know how to explore a map entirely by the first winter, but is that REALLY what Klei wants to be REQUIRED to survive?  I got my stuff soaked in winter by being caught out because chester was glitchily trapped on a frog pond, and he had my umbrella.  By the time I got back to him in the first snow my gear was soaked and I never recovered, since I had only 1 winter hat (only 1 beefalo found in the world), the heat stone is super-weak, and koalefants are nowhere to be found (due to a  bug). 

All that said,  I think if the wetness in winter was toned down a lot, and drying happened quicker, and koalefants are a thing again, it would be much, much better.

If you don't find a swamp before winter, that's not necessarily the case, as you'll be left with just an umbrella to deal with the wet, which I'm not sure that's enough for spring (all 3 of  my worlds so far have started autumn, so I can't speak to a spring start).   That's what happened to me as I spent a lot of time in my first RoG world oogling new biomes and creatures, rather than full-on exploring like normal.   One could argue that RoG is for hardcore players who know how to explore a map entirely by the first winter, but is that REALLY what Klei wants to be REQUIRED to survive?  I got my stuff soaked in winter by being caught out because chester was glitchily trapped on a frog pond, and he had my umbrella.  By the time I got back to him in the first snow my gear was soaked and I never recovered, since I had only 1 winter hat (only 1 beefalo found in the world), the heat stone is super-weak, and koalefants are nowhere to be found (due to a  bug). 

All that said,  I think if the wetness in winter was toned down a lot, and drying happened quicker, and koalefants are a thing again, it would be much, much better.

I don't know what's wrong with me. But I actually enjoy the challenge. It...feels right this way. I'm honestly in two minds about it. If they nerf it I'll be both happy and sad. If they keep it as it is I'll be both happy and sad. Man this DLC is messing with my head :). Basically the number one priority what ever season you start with out of Spring and Autumn, gather resources for rain coat, hat and Pretty Parasol/Umbrella.

Also they probably didn't want to put the Koalefant in the beta. We will definitely see it again.

Umbrella+straw hat (or any of the 20% water resistant hats for that matter) provides 100% rain protection.

Umbrella+straw hat (or any of the 20% water resistant hats for that matter) provides 100% rain protection.

Straw hat gets wet though doesn't it? So wearing it while wet will reduce sanity. Anyone found a way to dry items yet?

Straw hat gets wet though doesn't it? So wearing it while wet will reduce sanity. Anyone found a way to dry items yet?

My straw hats aren't getting wet, and as far as I can see, no items with water resistance above 0% get wet.  And none of your items should get wet when you have 100% coverage.

ETA: And you can dry your items inside a chest it seems.  I plopped a wet garland inside one and it was dry in a few seconds.  The same applies to your own inventory if you are dry.

Ya, I'm fine with difficulty, but what we need to NOT have is forcing people to stay in their base for days on end drying out or staying warm.  That ain't fun any way you slice it.

As for straw hats, I thought I'd seen someone say they did nothing.  My bad!  They kind of shouldn't though, really.  And also straw hats plus umbrella are not going to address the cold issue in winter.  At least not until we can get vests and a working heat stone again.

Ya, I'm fine with difficulty, but what we need to NOT have is forcing people to stay in their base for days on end drying out or staying warm.  That ain't fun any way you slice it.

As for straw hats, I thought I'd seen someone say they did nothing.  My bad!  They kind of shouldn't though, really.  And also straw hats plus umbrella are not going to address the cold issue in winter.  At least not until we can get vests and a working heat stone again.

That may have been me, but I was just saying I hadn't seen a difference in protection.  I then retracted that after more testing, and confirmed there was water resistance by checking the files.

My straw hats aren't getting wet, and as far as I can see, no items with water resistance above 0% get wet.  And none of your items should get wet when you have 100% coverage.

ETA: And you can dry your items inside a chest it seems.  I plopped a wet garland inside one and it was dry in a few seconds.  The same applies to your own inventory if you are dry.

Hmm...I remember reading somewhere that only the log suit and football helmet did not get wet. Clarification on that please. I would check but unfortunately my younger brother wanted to have a go on Don't Starve. So the laptop is in his tiny possession :)

I started a game as Wickerbottom... Since I had NO idea that my stuff could get wet and that it would drain my sanity like crazy, by mid winter, I was totally insane without any means of getting it back up. All of my stuff was wet and I was trying to make it dry out near the fire which was not working because it was snowing. I was freezing my ass off even near a fire, burned all my wood and just consumed all of my ressources really quickly and ended up dead due to the constant attacks from nightmare creatures.

Having a beefalo hat, some rain protection, staying dry at all costs, saving tons of firewood for winter is a must it seems... Also wickerbottom seems really bad now that sanity can be drained like crazy from being wet... I think the mechanic needs a LOT of tweaking.

The thing I hate the most is that at first you have no idea how to dry your stuff up (putting it in a chest seems to do the trick but that's not obvious at all). Also, it seems that when you are wet you get cold faster which is insane considering that it's always snowing in the winter.

Archived