WTF?!? Steam auto DL's 4 "online" mods, now DS is broken

Not sure what to post here.

My game just downloaded 4 mods which I am not subscribed to as follows:

1. deathwatch

2. starvinggames

3. leaderboards

4. messenger

I know a few(maybe all?) of these were being worked on by Cheerio. They were put into my mod folder under their respective titles (instead of Workshop-"some number"). 

I didn't catch them before loading and now have all sorts of weird issues such as:

-koalephant mod crashes everytime now, been using it for a long time.

-game stutters when opening chests, icebox, scrolling through menus etc.

-structure mods I had have had the images disappear (they are still in the game as they have physics and the light works (ie Wilson's cabin))

-the game just generally runs slower than before

Any enlightenment on this issue would be greatly appreciated as Don't Starve is essentially unplayable as it is now. I also removed the mod I was working on to make sure it was not affecting it.

Thanks,

Prof

• Developer

Here's some more info about the crash that happens when entering Maxwell's Door: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31869-crash-steam-adventure-mode-world-gen-bug/

As I said in that thread, we've already got a fix for that issue.  We're also cleaning up the mods folder!

And yeah, like @ProfFarnsworth said, we'll have a fix soon.

UPDATE: Should now be fixed: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/31849-dont-starve-update-notes-feb-26-2014/#entry419646

• Developer

Hey @ProfFarnsworth, one thing that I neglected to mention (or include in the patch notes, oops!) was that the patch we released yesterday adds the Koalefant hunt to the world customization options, which meant changing some of the Koalefant/hunt code. I'm guessing that's the root of the issue with the Koalefant mod.

Please let us know if you're continuing to have issues with other mods, though.

Hi Seth,

Still having all of the problems I described in the first post. Started a new game as well to see if it was just rebuilding the structures to fix, but to no avail. I have seen others post similar problems which is the image is not appearing.

Quick example: Wilson's cabin (afro1967 - workshop) has a light that turns on when you are near. I can still see the light and bump into the collider for the object, but cannot see the object or use it. This also occurs when building new.

My creature mod, however, has all aspects visible (creature, dead, inv, and crockpot) so I think it may be only related to structures (amateurs guess).

The stuttering when going through menus is brutal though. I will try enabling mods one at a time to see if one is causing it, but I have around 40 so I'll post back later.

Regarding the koalefant mod, it is an error of trying to do arithmetic on a nil value using TUNING.KOALEFANT_HUNT_COOLDOWN. I assume this was altered to change the cooldown based on world settings. As this mod has not been updated since August, I do not expect you guys to worry about it. However, can I not do an "if" statement to check if the value is nil and return something in that case to at least get past that point?

Thanks for all the help and replies. If you need any more detailed info (mods in use, crash screen, etc) please let me know. I'd be glad to help.

My guess is that happends because of new DLC load system and MOD system changes.

New rev 5 MOD system passes all mod's prefabs to DLC asset routine: HandleDLCAssetSwitch( allModPrefabs )

Inside this function the other function HandlePrefabSwitch(v) is called, which just unloads all mod's prefab files:

local function HandlePrefabSwitch( name )
    UnregisterPrefab(name)
end

p.s. sorry for my bad english.

• Developer

Hi Seth,

Still having all of the problems I described in the first post. Started a new game as well to see if it was just rebuilding the structures to fix, but to no avail. I have seen others post similar problems which is the image is not appearing.

Quick example: Wilson's cabin (afro1967 - workshop) has a light that turns on when you are near. I can still see the light and bump into the collider for the object, but cannot see the object or use it. This also occurs when building new.

My creature mod, however, has all aspects visible (creature, dead, inv, and crockpot) so I think it may be only related to structures (amateurs guess).

The stuttering when going through menus is brutal though. I will try enabling mods one at a time to see if one is causing it, but I have around 40 so I'll post back later.

Regarding the koalefant mod, it is an error of trying to do arithmetic on a nil value using TUNING.KOALEFANT_HUNT_COOLDOWN. I assume this was altered to change the cooldown based on world settings. As this mod has not been updated since August, I do not expect you guys to worry about it. However, can I not do an "if" statement to check if the value is nil and return something in that case to at least get past that point?

Thanks for all the help and replies. If you need any more detailed info (mods in use, crash screen, etc) please let me know. I'd be glad to help.

Fix for the structures mod should be coming out before too long: we're testing the build now. The stuttering menus is related to the loading and unloading that I mentioned in the other thread. We've got a programmer on the case, but it might be a few days before that fix comes through.

As for the koalefant mod: you are absolutely correct. I changed the name of that tuning variable that you mentioned (KOALEFANT_HUNT_COOLDOWN is the old name) when I added the koalefant hunt to the world gen customization options. The solution that you mentioned would absolutely work. Alternately, you can replace that variable with the new name: HUNT_COOLDOWN. If you look in the tuning.lua file and search for that string, you'll see what all the new variable names are by looking above and below that variable. Good luck!

Excellent, I have a problem mod in RoG so I can test the fix as soon as it is out. No worries about the stuttering fix, I found more mods = more stuttering, so keeping a minimum seems to work better.

Thank you for the koalefant info, I will definitely fix that mod.

I'd just like to say you guys are the most supportive development team I have ever seen with regards to your fans and mods. I have only been around a month and am blown away. Prime example: even with the DLC craziness, I still get a reply about a mod abandoned months ago. Just saying, very impressive, and thank you.

• Developer

It's our pleasure! Seriously: this is my first 'live' release--previously, I'd only worked on big retail games where you finish about a month before it hits the shelves and you know that it's been certified as stable by the publisher when you finish. It's been really nice to engage with an enthusiastic and understanding community as we work together to make the best game possible for you to enjoy :D

It's our pleasure! Seriously: this is my first 'live' release--previously, I'd only worked on big retail games where you finish about a month before it hits the shelves and you know that it's been certified as stable by the publisher when you finish. It's been really nice to engage with an enthusiastic and understanding community as we work together to make the best game possible for you to enjoy :grin:

and you guys have been doing a great job imo, I love the open communication from the devs in the past days, let alone in the previous weeks before the beta came out, great work, :encouragement:

Archived