Giants? Seriously?

MassiveZ

Jup, the games focus is about survival in a hostile environment. The hostility of said environment is based on realistic influences like hunger and wild animals (hounds) and the occasionally lightning strike and other more fantastical ones like shadow creatures, ghosts giant one eyed deers and so on.

It has a taste of horror in some way that many of the overnatural dangers are in fact horror in the definition of not entirely understandable or explainable.

But it is no horror game per se, in my opinion.

So adding more crazy stuff is exactly what the packaging was promising....

(way to much strange words...sorry ^^)

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/30759-what-if-dont-starve-was-much-moregrotesque/

We had this discussion before. Don't starve is in fact a survival horror game (reasons: horror based plot, inspired by Tim Burton, read the thread I linked if you wanna go into details), it's not horror in the sense of jump scares , its subtle, it's more of a visit to Adams Family House or inside Jumanji, you are going to die, the question is when, and in what horrible way. Hell, even Minecraft has been considered as survival horror.

(more about definitions of horror by vsouce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEikGKDVsCc )

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/30759-what-if-dont-starve-was-much-moregrotesque/

We had this discussion before. Don't starve is in fact a survival horror game (reasons: horror based plot, inspired by Tim Burton, read the thread I linked if you wanna go into details), it's not horror in the sense of jump scares , its subtle, it's more of a visit to Adams Family House or inside Jumanji, you are going to die, the question is when, and in what horrible way. Hell, even Minecraft has been considered as survival horror.

(more about definitions of horror by vsouce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEikGKDVsCc )

I actually read the thread before.

I'm just the kind of raisin sorter who thinks having included horror elements don't make a game a horror game.

As defined in the Oxford Dict.:

HORROR

an intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust

which isn't really a part of Don't Starve as I experience it. More like some sort of ''burtonesque Wonderland'' in the sense of weird and mystery,

not horror, disgust etc.

Officially it is a survival, roguelike, in an dark and mysterious environment. Don't get me wrong, I clearly see the horror elements but still I don't se the game as of the horror genre. But let's keep the different views. They can only lead to better and richer discussions.

I had respect for you.

Now it's running away over the hill.

This is not constructive, there is no way for stimulating discussion to originate from a post like this.

TEXT FORMAT SHENANIGANS

Yeah, I'm not bein' real constructive either.

I actually read the thread before.

I'm just the kind of raisin sorter who thinks having included horror elements don't make a game a horror game.

As defined in the Oxford Dict.:

HORROR

an intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust

which isn't really a part of Don't Starve as I experience it. More like some sort of ''burtonesque Wonderland'' in the sense of weird and mystery,

not horror, disgust etc.

Officially it is a survival, roguelike, in an dark and mysterious environment. Don't get me wrong, I clearly see the horror elements but still I don't se the game as of the horror genre. But let's keep the different views. They can only lead to better and richer discussions.

Alright, fair point. "Burtonesque wonderland", I like that description

The Magical Title Fairy himself basically said its not survival horror.  

Its not survival horror.

let's discard 98% of murderous content for a second, and review the very basics:

You are stuck in an otherworldly place being stalked by a horrible **** monster that threatens to murder you immediately once the lights go out.

Now you are telling me this isn't survival horror, but I am sitting here imagining you in the said situation spending every waking second of your time shitting your pants. Just shitting them. Non stop. And then the lights go out.

I'm not going to get into an argument.  But I'll leave you with this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_horror

" games inspired by horror fiction that focuses on survival of the character "

" the player is made to feel less powerful than in typical action games, because of limited ammunition, health, speed, or other limitations "

The player is also challenged to find items that unlock the path to new areas, and solve puzzles in certain locations. " (sounds really familiar, wonder where have I seen it in Don't Starve, hmm)

The player character is vulnerable and under-armed,[8] which puts emphasis on puzzle-solving and evasion, rather than violence.[9] Games commonly challenge the player to manage their inventory[10] and ration scarce resources "

I absolutely love how you posted the link without bothering to read the content yourself. 

Exactly. The giants upcoming won't be something boring like a dragon. It will be like a giant badger thingy (Way more interesting than dragons, Right?) Don't starve was never meant to really be Horror, just an indie survival game With a twist! If you aren't looking forward to the dlc then don't buy it.

Don't Starve does incorporate elements of survival horror, but we have to remember, this a world with:

Talking humanoid pigs, giant spiders, one eyed flightless birds, Scottish walrus hunting parties, rock lobsters, giant purple worms, humanoid bunny's that turn into nightmare creatures on low sanity, mechanical chess monsters, Krampus, fist sized bees and giant killer trees.

Zombies and normal horror cliches don't fit into Don't starves world.

Don't Starve does incorporate elements of survival horror, but we have to remember, this a world with:

Talking humanoid pigs, giant spiders, one eyed flightless birds, Scottish walrus hunting parties, rock lobsters, giant purple worms, humanoid bunny's that turn into nightmare creatures on low sanity, mechanical chess monsters, Krampus, fist sized bees and giant killer trees.

Zombies and normal horror cliches don't fit into Don't starves world.

For the last, ****** time, no one said zombies or cliches.

All I said was instead of going with "here have some giants, because reasons", I would love to have seen emphasis on enriching the eerie atmosphere of the game further.  

Sure I may have used trollish examples, but everyone with IQ that is not in the double digits should have been past that at this point.

Archived