[Don't Starve] Possible Split-Screen? [Ps4]

I know the topic of multiplayer for Don't Starve has already been discussed, and Klei has good reasons for not putting it in the game, but I was just curious if you guys have thought about a possible split-screen option for the Ps4 version?

I beleive it wouldn't be too difficult to add to the game and it would simply allow friends to hang out and enjoy a fun game together. The mechanics could be similar to Minecraft as in it could allow player 2 to pick one of the characters and just play with player one in one of the worlds that have been created. You wouldn't even need to save player 2's progress since you don't "level-up" and you could just store their items in a chest before they stop playing, much like in Minecraft.

The actual screen could just split into two sections, one for each player, (each player having their own inventory) and accessing the inventory for each player simply wouldn't pause the game anymore. (Of course hitting the pause button would pause the game for both screens in case you need to leave the game unattended.) As for the map. Each player could access it separately and find each other if they were to split up.

Overall, I believe it would be an interesting and enjoyable game mechanic that would still keep the amazing single player game your team seems to be going for, but still adding an option to play with friends. I think this would be a great way to keep players intertwined in the game and keep them wanting more. (Hint hint to a possible sequel?) Anyways, it is just a thought I had while playing and I even created an acount just to post this. I hope Klei believes this can be done and takes it into careful consideration. Thank you. :)

I know the topic of multiplayer for Don't Starve has already been discussed, and Klei has good reasons for not putting it in the game, but I was just curious if you guys have thought about a possible split-screen option for the Ps4 version?

I beleive it wouldn't be too difficult to add to the game and it would simply allow friends to hang out and enjoy a fun game together. The mechanics could be similar to Minecraft as in it could allow player 2 to pick one of the characters and just play with player one in one of the worlds that have been created. You wouldn't even need to save player 2's progress since you don't "level-up" and you could just store their items in a chest before they stop playing, much like in Minecraft.

The actual screen could just split into two sections, one for each player, (each player having their own inventory) and accessing the inventory for each player simply wouldn't pause the game anymore. (Of course hitting the pause button would pause the game for both screens in case you need to leave the game unattended.) As for the map. Each player could access it separately and find each other if they were to split up.

Overall, I believe it would be an interesting and enjoyable game mechanic that would still keep the amazing single player game your team seems to be going for, but still adding an option to play with friends. I think this would be a great way to keep players intertwined in the game and keep them wanting more. (Hint hint to a possible sequel?) Anyways, it is just a thought I had while playing and I even created an acount just to post this. I hope Klei believes this can be done and takes it into careful consideration. Thank you. :-)

You must obviously be new here...

Lock this before we have another incident please

@OP Klei's reasons for not adding multiplayer apply to split-screen too.

As they said in the official sticky thread discussing MP, the code has been designed for SP purposes only. Adding multiplayer wouldn't simply require "some extra code", it would require rearchitecting the game engine at a fundamental level. Every creature AI would need to be redesigned to react to not just one player, but two or more; this would apply for all NPCs as well as every unique creature e.g. Deerclops, Krampus.

Every resource generation would need to be adjusted in a balanced way to enable two or more players to survive while at the same time maintaining the difficulty - after all it's much easier for one person to light a fire for the night while another gathers food for sustenance; this makes the game less of a challenge. Equally with MP new logic would have to be added to handle some player deaths, e.g. one player dies - does the world continue for the other player? Does the first player have an opportunity to respawn and join their comrade even if they haven't prepared a Meat Effigy?

It becomes way too much work. The game has been designed as an SP experience. I agree it'd be awesome to have MP, but Klei's arguments against having MP in the game are understandable and justified.

Let's hope they make plenty of awesome new DLC (Reign of Giants!) for now, and keep our fingers crossed they revisit the franchise with a brilliant sequel that supports MP :)

Couldn't have said it better myself, KomodoDave.

I too will be keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that Klei makes either a sequel or a spiritual successor with the idea of Multiplayer incorporated from the ground up. With so much interest in the topic, I would be surprised if they haven't given it considerable thought for a future game.

Luckily for us, Don't Starve is currently easily enjoyable as a single player experience.

Couldn't have said it better myself, KomodoDave.

Luckily for us, Don't Starve is currently easily enjoyable as a single player experience.

Yes indeed; I wasn't even aware of the game's existence until it was made available on PS4 last week. Now I'm just glad it exists. What a brilliant addition to the survivor genre, and how grateful I am for such a beautifully living, interactive world, and a game with such community-oriented content development and active support :)

Archived