I need help organizing my chests

I have a 3 x 3 square of chests in my base and I was all excited because I was going to finally organize all my stuff. Then I started trying and I don't really know how to organize it o.o So far I've filled the top left, top middle, and top right chests with Logs, Rocks, and Twigs+Cut Grass, respectively. I have the rest just filled with completely random and unorganized stuff. Someone help, please. Thanks!

I have a 3 x 3 square of chests in my base and I was all excited because I was going to finally organize all my stuff. Then I started trying and I don't really know how to organize it o.o So far I've filled the top left, top middle, and top right chests with Logs, Rocks, and Twigs+Cut Grass, respectively. I have the rest just filled with completely random and unorganized stuff. Someone help, please. Thanks!

Decide what items you are going to put in your chests BEFORE you store them, then organize that way.

Such as : Minerals, rabbits, refined components, magic components (Gems, Nightmare Fuel Living Logs, etc,) basic building  materials (Grass, twigs, logs, reeds, etc,) gravedigger items, Things/Gears,  farming resources (manure, rot, stone grass and logs [ONLY used to build other farms] etc,) and you get the idea. 

If you have so many chests you get confused, you can place one item on the ground next to the chest to help speedily identify what that chest holds (just make sure it can't spoil or be eaten if left as a marker though. It's not a good idea to have anything like mandrakes or pigskins dropped on the ground and keep them inside the chest and use some other permanent duration inedible item as a reference marker instead.)

I usually just organize my chests into different types of objects. One chest for food items, another for functional items, another for building supplies, etc. But leave important things in your inventory/backpack/Chester, like weapons and armor and heat stones and things you need to survive for a night away from your camp should you get stranded. This is usually my strategy, I hope you figure yours out!

I usually end up with more chests than that.  I have a row of chests for raw resources (rocks, grass, wood, etc), a row for different types of equipment (winter, weapons, armor, etc), a row for other materials (spider web, beefalo fur, hound teeth, etc), and a row for magical type stuff (gems, thulecite, living logs, etc)  In those rows I divide things up by type or function.  One chest for spider glands & ashes, one for spider webs, one for things like bees, lightning bugs & spider eggs, one for teeth, fur & other stuff.

Oh, and you don't use much gold after a certain point in the game, so while having some on hand is nice, you really don't need several chests full of the stuff.

I usually end up with more chests than that.  I have a row of chests for raw resources (rocks, grass, wood, etc), a row for different types of equipment (winter, weapons, armor, etc), a row for other materials (spider web, beefalo fur, hound teeth, etc), and a row for magical type stuff (gems, thulecite, living logs, etc)  In those rows I divide things up by type or function.  One chest for spider glands & ashes, one for spider webs, one for things like bees, lightning bugs & spider eggs, one for teeth, fur & other stuff.

Oh, and you don't use much gold after a certain point in the game, so while having some on hand is nice, you really don't need several chests full of the stuff.

More nightmare fuel? 

Decide what items you are going to put in your chests BEFORE you store them, then organize that way.

If you have so many chests you get confused, you can place one item on the ground next to the chest to help speedily identify what that chest holds (just make sure it can't spoil or be eaten if left as a marker though.

+1 for both of these things (edited quote).

Instead of creating a singular storage area, what I do is create a couple chests near my main area (fireplace), and then additional chests near specific areas that the contents contain to (BTW, thank you TeoSS69 for giving me the inspiration initially). Once I have a base, I create chests next to certain areas of it and start sorting like-resources in them. One day I'll post pics of my camps, but for the time being:

• Fireplace: remains the dumping ground for anything that doesn't fit in my other chests nicely... like spider eggs I haven't used, lureplants, nightmare fuel, etc.
  • Twig/Grass Farm: multiple chests with twigs, grass, logs, rocks, and flint/gold. Each chest is stacked to the maximum with a single item, they're not dispersed amongst the multiple chests
  • Kitchen: really it's just an icebox surrounded by crockpots and drying racks, but if I feel the need to build a chest, it usually has tallbird eggs, charcoal, rocks, and more sticks.
  • Crafting/Science: gems, gears, hounds teeth, pig skins, etc. The stuff that, no matter how well off you are, are a bit rarer to obtain and necessary to craft --> upwards
  • Trophy case: spider silk, beefalo wool, extra logs/twigs/charcoal, and 1-2 sewing kits at all times. This area tends to be two unique but joined sections that are separated by a walkway, and where I lay out Deerclops' eye, tentacle spikes, clothing, fighting gear and various tools made throughout the days with abandon
  • Danger zone ("panic room", the area with tooth traps): teeth, spider glands, rotten eggs, nitre, charcoal, healing salves, darts of any kind, fire/ice staffs, pan flutes, etc... basically, anything that will help me with annihilating Deerclops and my overgrown Beefalo herds, and/or the materials that will get me there

Yyyeah, I run into the same problem a lot. I don't ever store food in chests, because I know I'll forget about it and just end up with a whole lot of rot if I don't keep it in the icebox, but here's how I tend to organize things.

Basic crafting: Grass, twigs, rocks, silk, etc. Most of the bare bones things that you burn through often for early-game things. You wouldn't include any ingredients for crafting recipes that go beyond the alchemy machine in this chest.

Winter necessities: This is where I keep my Koalephant vests, Beefalo hat and whatever other things I use that are exclusive to Winter (usually Blow Darts and items I would use to handle Deerclops.)

Cave exploration: This chest'll have my re-usable light sources (all two of them!) and nitre. Always so much nitre.. I also use this to store the things I get from the caves, like Bunny Puffs and Guano.

Magic crafting: Nightmare Fuel, Living Logs, the three different gems. Keep all these in a separate chest from where you keep your basic crafting supplies, they'll just be a hassle if they all get mixed together.

Ancient crafting: Thulecite, the three other types of gems, Deerclops' eye. You get the picture.

Wood: I like to have an entire chest dedicated to wood. Pinecones, logs, boards. Good to have excess of all of them.

Archived