How To: Install a Mod from the Steam Workshop

Cheerio

• Developer

1. Open the Steam Workshop

post-283016-0-19469900-1384417060_thumb.

In the Steam Library tab, click on 'Don't Starve'. Then click on the 'Browse the Workshop' button above the 'RECENT NEWS' heading.  

post-283016-0-13518600-1384417069_thumb.

You should now be able to browse all the mods available on the Workshop. 

2. Download the Mod

post-283016-0-23618500-1384417075_thumb.

Click on the mod you want to install.  Now click on the subscribe button.  The mod will now be dowloaded next time you run 'Don't Starve'.

3. Open the In Game Mods Screen

post-283016-0-09069600-1384417040_thumb.

Launch 'Don't Starve' and click on the 'mods' button on the right hand side of the screen.

4. Enabe the Mod

post-283016-0-73755000-1384417050_thumb.

Now click the checkbox next to any of the mods you want to enable.

Congratulations! Your new mod should now work with any worlds you already have and any new ones you create. Have fun  :-).

Hi. I'm having the same problem, but only on Linux version. I have a dual boot machine and the Linux version doesn't show me the mods I subscribed on Steam (they appear normally on Windows version in the same machine). When I enter the Mods area, I receive a message "Verifying mod details...", then another one informing that the mods are being downloaded (these messages appear every time I enter there), but nothing happens. Here is a shot of the screen after the messages:

rd8qtP1.png

And the mods were downloaded. When I enter "~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/dont_starve/mods/" I can see them all. Is there any problem with Linux version? I don't have any problem playing the game, only with mods.

I did not know that there were "versions" of the game.Is there a way for us to get mods as files from the workshop instead of as direct downloads into the game?

Could I ask for clarification? Are you playing Don't Starve through the standalone game client or through Steam?

Standalone, and that's the problem. I didn't know about the Steam nonSteam bit when I bought and want to know if I can get Steam mods on nonSteam Don't Starve. 

Ah thanks for clarifying that for me. The only way to download and install mods for the standalone version is to get them from the downloads section of the Klei forums. Here's a handy how-to for installing mods from the Klei forums.

If the mod is only available on Steam and not on the Klei forums, you may have to contact the mod creator and ask if he or she can put it on our forums. 

Ah thanks for clarifying that for me. The only way to download and install mods for the standalone version is to get them from the downloads section of the Klei forums. Here's a handy how-to for installing mods from the Klei forums.

If the mod is only available on Steam and not on the Klei forums, you may have to contact the mod creator and ask if he or she can put it on our forums. 

Thank you for the help. I know how to get mods from the forum already, and have even begun construction of one rather amateur mod. I suppose I will just have to hope more modders mod for standalone.

Thank you for the help. I know how to get mods from the forum already, and have even begun construction of one rather amateur mod. I suppose I will just have to hope more modders mod for standalone.

Honestly, I'm not sure why they don't, assuming they know of its existence. It's not difficult at all to upload here.

Archived