[Tutorial] Creating a "handslot-equippable-item" from scratch

Malacath

After making a TEX file for the ground item, should I delete the PNG?

sorry, i haven't modded in don't starve before, clearly :nightmare:

nope, you don't need to delete it. I often keep my photoshop files in the same folder as the images and the compiler doesn't seem to mind.

• Like 1

As I've just recently found out for myself, custom animations are crazy complicated and difficult to make. If you manage to make the animation in spriter, I could probably show you how to put it into the game, since I'm currently working on doing that with my own mod right now d:

I don't know if there is a way to just change the picture of the panflute to a violin in the animation, if that's what you were wondering. 

Do you know which .scml file I make the animation in, or do I just start from scratch?

Do you know which .scml file I make the animation in, or do I just start from scratch?

I'm actually not sure, I've never tried editing the existing character template .scml file animation, I always start from scratch. But you could start from scratch and just copy all the body part folders (and a picture of the violin) into a new animation folder with the new scml file and animate it from there

I'm actually not sure, I've never tried editing the existing character template .scml file animation, I always start from scratch. But you could start from scratch and just copy all the body part folders (and a picture of the violin) into a new animation folder with the new scml file and animate it from there

Ok, I've started to make the animation. (it, er, might take a while.) Do you know where the bottom of the character is? Like, in spriter, which part of the file is the ground is DS? (I don't want a floating Wilfred :p)

Ok, I've started to make the animation. (it, er, might take a while.) Do you know where the bottom of the character is? Like, in spriter, which part of the file is the ground is DS? (I don't want a floating Wilfred :razz:)

yea, the line in the center is where the ground will be.

also, here's a tutorial that helped me figure out spriter. 

I didn't quite figure out bones, but my animations worked fine without them

yea, the line in the center is where the ground will be.

also, here's a tutorial that helped me figure out spriter. 

I didn't quite figure out bones, but my animations worked fine without them

Alright, I've made the animation and I think it looks pretty good. Ill upload it o you can take a look at it.

Where do I put the animation so the violin uses it when played?violin_anim.zip

Edited by NeddoFreddo

I have created a character using the extended sample character template tutorial and I want my character to have custom made item at spawn in his inventory.

I'm part I'm getting confused at is, when you tell to expand the prefab table(little weak in coding). Since I'm making this inside my already working character mod folder, how do I go about modifying the modmain.lua file. 

I would really appreciate the help.

:juggling:

Alright, I've made the animation and I think it looks pretty good. Ill upload it o you can take a look at it.

Where do I put the animation so the violin uses it when played?unknown.gif  violin_anim.zip  

Thanks.

EDIT: The version uploaded here is old, in my file Wilfred has been moved to the line in the middle so he is not floating. So please ignore that and don't worry 'bout it.

Edited by NeddoFreddo

Where do I put the animation so the violin uses it when played?unknown.gif  violin_anim.zip  

Thanks.

EDIT: The version uploaded here is old, in my file Wilfred has been moved to the line in the middle so he is not floating. So please ignore that and don't worry 'bout it.

Okay, so what we're going to do is make an entirely new prefab and set this as it's idle animation, then just switch your character's build to this one for the duration of the animation, and then switch it back.

For simplicity's sake, since your file is already called violin_anim, we'll call this new prefab "violin_anim".

First, open up your animation in spriter and find the "animations" panel on the right. Rename "entity_000" to "violin_anim" and rename "PlayViolin" to "idle" and save it.

Now we need to give it a stategraph, so go into your "scripts" folder and make a new folder inside called "stategraphs". Open that folder, and create a new .lua filed called "SGviolin_anim.lua"

And put this into that .lua file (I copied this from a different tutorial about making creatures)

--[NEW] Stategraphs are used to present feedback to the player based on the state of the creature.  Here we setup two states,--		one to handle when the creature is idle and one to handle when the creature is running.local states={	--[NEW] This handles the idle state.    State{        name = "idle",        --[NEW] Tags are how we can classify states.  The 'canrotate' tag tells the animation system that these animations can		--   	be flipped based on which way the creature is facing which means we don't have to create multiple animations.        tags = {"idle", "canrotate"},        --[NEW] Here is how we define what happens when we enter this state.        onenter = function(inst, playanim)        	--[NEW] In this case, all we want to do is play a looping version of the idle animation.            inst.AnimState:PlayAnimation("idle", true)        end,    },}--[NEW] Event handlers are how stategraphs get told what happening with the prefab.  The stategraph then decides how it wants--		to present that to the user which usually involves some combination of animation and audio.local event_handlers={	--[NEW] The locomotor sends events to the state graph called 'locomote'.  Here we setup how we're going to handle the event.    EventHandler("locomote",         function(inst) 			inst.sg:GoToState("idle")        end),}--[NEW] Register our new stategraph and set the default state to 'idle'.return StateGraph("SGviolin_anim", states, event_handlers, "idle", {})

(this SHOULD work, but I skipped a few of it's steps that you probably won't need. So if it crashes, tell me)

Now we need to make the prefab file. go to your scripts/prefabs folder, and inside, make another new lua file called "violin_anim.lua"

And this should be all you need to put inside it

--Here we list any assets required by our prefab.local assets={	--this is the name of the Spriter file.	Asset("ANIM", "anim/violin_anim.zip"),}--This function creates a new entity based on a prefab.local function init_prefab()	--First we create an entity.	local inst = CreateEntity()	--Then we add a transform component se we can place this entity in the world.	local trans = inst.entity:AddTransform()	--Then we add an animation component which allows us to animate our entity.	local anim = inst.entity:AddAnimState()		--The bank name is the name of the Spriter file.    anim:SetBank("violin_anim")    --The build name is the name of the animation folder in spriter.    anim:SetBuild("violin_anim")      --We need to add a 'locomotor' component otherwise our creature can't walk around the world.    inst:AddComponent("locomotor")    --We need to add a 'physics' component for our character to walk through the world.    MakeCharacterPhysics(inst, 10, .5)    --[NEW] Here we attach our stategraph to our prefab.    inst:SetStateGraph("SGviolin_anim")	    --return our new entity so that it can be added to the world.    return instend--Here we register our new prefab so that it can be used in game.return Prefab( "monsters/violin_anim", init_prefab, assets, nil)

in your modmain.lua, add "violin_anim" to your list of prefabs

now in your character's.lua file, add this to the "local assets" thing; 

Asset( "ANIM", "anim/violin_anim.zip" ),

And now, when you want him to do that animation, do something like this;

local function DoTheAnimationThing(inst) --or whatever you want to call it	inst.AnimState:SetBank("violin_anim")	inst.AnimState:SetBuild("violin_anim")	inst:SetStateGraph("SGviolin_anim")	--THIS WILL CHANGE HIM BACK AFTER THE 2 SECONDS OF THE ANIMATION	inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst.AnimState:SetBank("wilson") end)  --DON'T CHANGE WILSON	inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst.AnimState:SetBuild("your chracter's name i forgot") end)	inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst:SetStateGraph("SGwilson") end)end

And that will cause him to change into the animation state when you call the function "DoTheAnimationThing".

probably

• Like 1

post-655693-0-67536500-1440018193_thumb.Okay, so what we're going to do is make an entirely new prefab and set this as it's idle animation, then just switch your character's build to this one for the duration of the animation, and then switch it back.

For simplicity's sake, since your file is already called violin_anim, we'll call this new prefab "violin_anim".

First, open up your animation in spriter and find the "animations" panel on the right. Rename "entity_000" to "violin_anim" and rename "PlayViolin" to "idle" and save it.

Now we need to give it a stategraph, so go into your "scripts" folder and make a new folder inside called "stategraphs". Open that folder, and create a new .lua filed called "SGviolin_anim.lua"

And put this into that .lua file (I copied this from a different tutorial about making creatures)

--[NEW] Stategraphs are used to present feedback to the player based on the state of the creature.  Here we setup two states,--		one to handle when the creature is idle and one to handle when the creature is running.local states={	--[NEW] This handles the idle state.    State{        name = "idle",        --[NEW] Tags are how we can classify states.  The 'canrotate' tag tells the animation system that these animations can		--   	be flipped based on which way the creature is facing which means we don't have to create multiple animations.        tags = {"idle", "canrotate"},        --[NEW] Here is how we define what happens when we enter this state.        onenter = function(inst, playanim)        	--[NEW] In this case, all we want to do is play a looping version of the idle animation.            inst.AnimState:PlayAnimation("idle", true)        end,    },}--[NEW] Event handlers are how stategraphs get told what happening with the prefab.  The stategraph then decides how it wants--		to present that to the user which usually involves some combination of animation and audio.local event_handlers={	--[NEW] The locomotor sends events to the state graph called 'locomote'.  Here we setup how we're going to handle the event.    EventHandler("locomote",         function(inst) 			inst.sg:GoToState("idle")        end),}--[NEW] Register our new stategraph and set the default state to 'idle'.return StateGraph("SGviolin_anim", states, event_handlers, "idle", {})

(this SHOULD work, but I skipped a few of it's steps that you probably won't need. So if it crashes, tell me)

Now we need to make the prefab file. go to your scripts/prefabs folder, and inside, make another new lua file called "violin_anim.lua"

And this should be all you need to put inside it

--Here we list any assets required by our prefab.local assets={	--this is the name of the Spriter file.	Asset("ANIM", "anim/violin_anim.zip"),}--This function creates a new entity based on a prefab.local function init_prefab()	--First we create an entity.	local inst = CreateEntity()	--Then we add a transform component se we can place this entity in the world.	local trans = inst.entity:AddTransform()	--Then we add an animation component which allows us to animate our entity.	local anim = inst.entity:AddAnimState()		--The bank name is the name of the Spriter file.    anim:SetBank("violin_anim")    --The build name is the name of the animation folder in spriter.    anim:SetBuild("violin_anim")      --We need to add a 'locomotor' component otherwise our creature can't walk around the world.    inst:AddComponent("locomotor")    --We need to add a 'physics' component for our character to walk through the world.    MakeCharacterPhysics(inst, 10, .5)    --[NEW] Here we attach our stategraph to our prefab.    inst:SetStateGraph("SGviolin_anim")	    --return our new entity so that it can be added to the world.    return instend--Here we register our new prefab so that it can be used in game.return Prefab( "monsters/violin_anim", init_prefab, assets, nil)

in your modmain.lua, add "violin_anim" to your list of prefabs

now in your character's.lua file, add this to the "local assets" thing; 

And now, when you want him to do that animation, do something like this;

local function DoTheAnimationThing(inst) --or whatever you want to call it	inst.AnimState:SetBank("violin_anim")	inst.AnimState:SetBuild("violin_anim")	inst:SetStateGraph("SGviolin_anim")	--THIS WILL CHANGE HIM BACK AFTER THE 2 SECONDS OF THE ANIMATION	inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst.AnimState:SetBank("wilson") end)  --DON'T CHANGE WILSON	inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst.AnimState:SetBuild("your chracter's name i forgot") end)	inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst:SetStateGraph("SGwilson") end)end

And that will cause him to change into the animation state when you call the function "DoTheAnimationThing".

probably

1. THANKS!

2. When I load the game everythings fine until I play the violin, then an crash message popped up:

It said something about line 23 of my violin.lua file:

22:local function HearViolin(inst) --or whatever you want to call it
 23:   inst.AnimState:SetBank("violin_anim")
 24:   inst.AnimState:SetBuild("violin_anim")
 25:  inst:SetStateGraph("SGviolin_anim")
 26:   --THIS WILL CHANGE HIM BACK AFTER THE 2 SECONDS OF THE ANIMATION
 27:   inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst.AnimState:SetBank("wilson") end)  --DON'T CHANGE WILSON
 28:   inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst.AnimState:SetBuild("wilfred") end)
 29:   inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst:SetStateGraph("SGwilson") end)
30: end

The message said that it didn't understand what line 23 meant.

Can you help?

3. Thanks again! here is a screen grap of the arror. post-655693-0-67536500-1440018193_thumb.

Edited by NeddoFreddo

Is there anyone willing to do a step by step on how to create an hand equipable item? Because I been reading the tutorial and it just tossing me off like folder? text files? lua files?

Im looking at the spoilers and I'm thinking ok it needs to be a text file so I convert my png into a text file. Seems easy enough but then it mentions you need to edit it and add this to it (step one :setting up your mod)

mymod
        exported
        |->        myitem
                |->        ground_myitem
                        |->        ground_myitem.png
                        swap_myitem
                        |->        swap_myitem
                                |->        swap_myitem.png
        images
        |->        inventoryimages
                |->        myitem.png
        scripts
        |->        prefabs
                |->        myitem.lua
        modmain.lua

his code into it. But when I open the text file with the notepad + + I get 26 lines of gibberish that I dont understand. It's definitely not english lol.

Also mymod. Is that a folder in itself or is it suppose to go into the modmain.lua? where do I place the files and etcs

Is there anyone willing to do a step by step on how to create an hand equipable item? Because I been reading the tutorial and it just tossing me off like folder? text files? lua files?

Im looking at the spoilers and I'm thinking ok it needs to be a text file so I convert my png into a text file. Seems easy enough but then it mentions you need to edit it and add this to it (step one :setting up your mod)

mymod
        exported
        |->        myitem
                |->        ground_myitem
                        |->        ground_myitem.png
                        swap_myitem
                        |->        swap_myitem
                                |->        swap_myitem.png
        images
        |->        inventoryimages
                |->        myitem.png
        scripts
        |->        prefabs
                |->        myitem.lua
        modmain.lua

his code into it. But when I open the text file with the notepad + + I get 26 lines of gibberish that I dont understand. It's definitely not english lol.

Also mymod. Is that a folder in itself or is it suppose to go into the modmain.lua? where do I place the files and etcs

@BlueSideWind, The stuff that is "definitely not english lol" is lua code (I'm assuming that's what's in the file). If you are unfamiliar with lua then I suggest learning it before starting to create a mod. I suggest going here to help you out or here. Also, you are not converting the .png into a text file but a .tex file. You can use this tool to convert the .png to a .tex file.

• Like 1

1. THANKS!

2. When I load the game everythings fine until I play the violin, then an crash message popped up:

It said something about line 23 of my violin.lua file:

22:local function HearViolin(inst) --or whatever you want to call it
 23:   inst.AnimState:SetBank("violin_anim")
 24:   inst.AnimState:SetBuild("violin_anim")
 25:  inst:SetStateGraph("SGviolin_anim")
 26:   --THIS WILL CHANGE HIM BACK AFTER THE 2 SECONDS OF THE ANIMATION
 27:   inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst.AnimState:SetBank("wilson") end)  --DON'T CHANGE WILSON
 28:   inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst.AnimState:SetBuild("wilfred") end)
 29:   inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst:SetStateGraph("SGwilson") end)
30: end

The message said that it didn't understand what line 23 meant.

Can you help?

3. Thanks again! here is a screen grap of the arror. attachicon.gifScreenshot (6).png

hmm, maybe you need to also add 

to the violin's and character's "local asset" list in their .lua files, and not just in the modmain. Maybe.

Do you think you could send me a copy of your entire mod? Like just make a copy of the folder, zip it, and post the zip file here so I can look at it?

Also, if everything goes correctly, if you type this into console: c_spawn("violin_anim", 1)   it should spawn a looping version of your animation. (but I'm guessing it will still crash if it crashes normally for you)

hmm, maybe you need to also add 

to the violin's and character's "local asset" list in their .lua files, and not just in the modmain. Maybe.

Do you think you could send me a copy of your entire mod? Like just make a copy of the folder, zip it, and post the zip file here so I can look at it?

Also, if everything goes correctly, if you type this into console: c_spawn("violin_anim", 1)   it should spawn a looping version of your animation. (but I'm guessing it will still crash if it crashes normally for you)

OK, here it is.wilfred.zip

@BlueSideWind, The stuff that is "definitely not english lol" is lua code (I'm assuming that's what's in the file). If you are unfamiliar with lua then I suggest learning it before starting to create a mod. I suggest going here to help you out or here. Also, you are not converting the .png into a text file but a .tex file. You can use this tool to convert the .png to a .tex file.

Oh no its not that well it kind of is. Lets see (scroll back to page one)

1 Setting up our mod

Let me assume that you already have your artwork in the form of an inventoryimage of size 64x64 pixels, an image you intend to use for the "ground"-animation and an image you intend to use for the swappable build all in the *.png format.

With those we aim for the following folder structure in our mod-folder ""

Okay so from what I read or at least from what I'm guessing. You should have 3 .png done with the correct sizing. (I used the "assets.zip" as a guide and toss my images in there) So I got that done. Now I'm suppose to toss it in the right folders which is where? Is it in the "Mod-folder"? or is it in "My character mod folder" or am I suppose to place it into a new  folder thats in the mod folder called "myitem" folder (useing myitem name for now change it later)

Local C>Steam>Steamapps>Dont Starve>mods>(mycharacter,myitem,)

Also "myitem.lua" << is this an entirely new lua or is it just in the "modmain.lua"

@BlueSideWind

Create a new folder in the mod directory:

Local C\Steam\Steamapps\Don't Starve\mods\mymod (your new folder)

Then in that new folder you created, make two new lua files called modmain.lua and modinfo.lua. The next step is where you will be following this folder structure:

mymod
        exported
        |->    myitem
                |->    ground_myitem
                       |->    ground_myitem.png - (The ground image)
                       swap_myitem
                       |->    swap_myitem
                              |->    swap_myitem.png - (The swap image)
        images
        |->    inventoryimages
               |->    myitem.png - (The inventory image)
        scripts
        |->    prefabs
               |->    myitem.lua
        modinfo.lua
        modmain.lua

The 'myitem.lua' is not part of the modmain.lua, it is actually the file used to put the code for your prefab, so they are completely separate files.

• Like 1

OK, here it is.attachicon.gifwilfred.zip

Huh, for some reason the mod crashes whenever I try to apply it. But that may just be a problem on my end.

But looking through the files, something is off about the violin_anim.zip in the anim folder.

I think it's because you need to move the "violin_anim" folder into the "exported" folder with the rest of the prefabs. That's probably why the compiler couldn't find it. Then it should export a new violin_anim.zip to the anim folder, and hopefully that will fix the problem.

Huh, for some reason the mod crashes whenever I try to apply it. But that may just be a problem on my end.

But looking through the files, something is off about the violin_anim.zip in the anim folder.

I think it's because you need to move the "violin_anim" folder into the "exported" folder with the rest of the prefabs. That's probably why the compiler couldn't find it. Then it should export a new violin_anim.zip to the anim folder, and hopefully that will fix the problem.

The autocompiler says that it 'cant script violin.anim' or something. Here's a screenshot:

post-655693-0-19313300-1440122011_thumb.

Maybe I should just change all the lines in the files from anim/violin_anim.zip to exported/violin_anim/zip, because it made a .zip folder in that folder. Or I could jut copy the .zip from exported and put it in the anim folder?

EDIT: OK, I put the .zip in the anim folder, and it didn't crash the game instantly. But, when I equipped the violin and played it, the normal panflute animation played and then, just as the first note came out, it crashed. The error message said that there was an error in line 24 of the violin.lua in the scripts folder. The paragraps with line 24 in looks like this:

local function HearViolin(inst) --or whatever you want to call it        inst.AnimState:SetBank("violin_anim")    inst.AnimState:SetBuild("violin_anim")    inst:SetStateGraph("SGviolin_anim")    --THIS WILL CHANGE HIM BACK AFTER THE 2 SECONDS OF THE ANIMATION    inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst.AnimState:SetBank("wilson") end)  --DON'T CHANGE WILSON    inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst.AnimState:SetBuild("wilfred") end)    inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst:SetStateGraph("SGwilson") end) --or that wilsonend

So if you can help it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT2: And this is a screenshot of the autocompiler getting it's little self confused: 

post-655693-0-64072500-1440123470_thumb.

Again, thanks.

Edited by NeddoFreddo

The autocompiler says that it 'cant script violin.anim' or something. Here's a screenshot:

attachicon.gifScreenshot (7).png

Maybe I should just change all the lines in the files from anim/violin_anim.zip to exported/violin_anim/zip, because it made a .zip folder in that folder. Or I could jut copy the .zip from exported and put it in the anim folder?

EDIT: OK, I put the .zip in the anim folder, and it didn't crash the game instantly. But, when I equipped the violin and played it, the normal panflute animation played and then, just as the first note came out, it crashed. The error message said that there was an error in line 24 of the violin.lua in the scripts folder. The paragraps with line 24 in looks like this:

local function HearViolin(inst) --or whatever you want to call it        inst.AnimState:SetBank("violin_anim")    inst.AnimState:SetBuild("violin_anim")    inst:SetStateGraph("SGviolin_anim")    --THIS WILL CHANGE HIM BACK AFTER THE 2 SECONDS OF THE ANIMATION    inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst.AnimState:SetBank("wilson") end)  --DON'T CHANGE WILSON    inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst.AnimState:SetBuild("wilfred") end)    inst:DoTaskInTime(2, function(inst) inst:SetStateGraph("SGwilson") end) --or that wilsonend

So if you can help it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT2: And this is a screenshot of the autocompiler getting it's little self confused: 

attachicon.gifScreenshot (8).png

Again, thanks.

huh, I don't know why the compiler is acting up like that. Maybe this is one of those cases where one of the image files just messes the compiler up for no reason? Can someone else with more knowledge about that confirm if this is the case or not?

But no, you shouldn't change the lines in the file. There are supposed to be two violin_anim.zip files. One in the "anim" folder. and one in the "exported/violin_anim" folder. But they will both have different contents (if you hover over the file with your mouse, it should tell you whats inside)

the one in the "anim" folder should only have like two things in it; the "build" file and the "atlas-0" file. And the other one in the "exported/violin_anim" should have all the individual body part images for the Spriter animation and stuff.

huh, I don't know why the compiler is acting up like that. Maybe this is one of those cases where one of the image files just messes the compiler up for no reason? Can someone else with more knowledge about that confirm if this is the case or not?

But no, you shouldn't change the lines in the file. There are supposed to be two violin_anim.zip files. One in the "anim" folder. and one in the "exported/violin_anim" folder. But they will both have different contents (if you hover over the file with your mouse, it should tell you whats inside)

the one in the "anim" folder should only have like two things in it; the "build" file and the "atlas-0" file. And the other one in the "exported/violin_anim" should have all the individual body part images for the Spriter animation and stuff.

Well, Ive done some poking around (ok not that much) and figured out that the autocompiler isn't compiling Wilfred. At all. I have updated the modicon and it isn't being updated. Furthermore, when I looked in the .tex file for the modicon, it still shows the old one, showing that the autocompiler refises to compile wilfred. But it is compiling other mods. for some reason. Hope this means something to you.

Well, Ive done some poking around (ok not that much) and figured out that the autocompiler isn't compiling Wilfred. At all. I have updated the modicon and it isn't being updated. Furthermore, when I looked in the .tex file for the modicon, it still shows the old one, showing that the autocompiler refises to compile wilfred. But it is compiling other mods. for some reason. Hope this means something to you.

hm. If it isn't compiling anything at all, I'm starting to think it is that one bug with the compiler breaking down because of some random image file. It's nothing you did wrong, just a strange bug that apparently tends to happen.

Try this; Remove the violin_anim folder from your mod (copy and paste it somewhere else first though so you can paste it back in when you need it again).

Now run the game again. if the auto compiler runs correctly, then we know thats the problem.

I've never experienced this problem myself, but from what I've heard, one of the textures (body parts) in your animation is making the compiler bug out, and if you simply erase and re-draw that texture, it'll usually fix the problem. I'm pretty sure you wont need to do anything with the animation itself in spriter.

The real hard part is finding which one is causing it, since you probably dont want to have to redraw all the parts. Maybe you can think of a way to test it first to make sure thats actually the problem, like see if it compiles if you replace all the textures with blank images. If it still doesnt compile, then we know thats not the problem.

hm. If it isn't compiling anything at all, I'm starting to think it is that one bug with the compiler breaking down because of some random image file. It's nothing you did wrong, just a strange bug that apparently tends to happen.

Try this; Remove the violin_anim folder from your mod (copy and paste it somewhere else first though so you can paste it back in when you need it again).

Now run the game again. if the auto compiler runs correctly, then we know thats the problem.

I've never experienced this problem myself, but from what I've heard, one of the textures (body parts) in your animation is making the compiler bug out, and if you simply erase and re-draw that texture, it'll usually fix the problem. I'm pretty sure you wont need to do anything with the animation itself in spriter.

The real hard part is finding which one is causing it, since you probably dont want to have to redraw all the parts. Maybe you can think of a way to test it first to make sure thats actually the problem, like see if it compiles if you replace all the textures with blank images. If it still doesnt compile, then we know thats not the problem.

Which violin.anim? the one in exported or .anim?