Mad Demigods

I guess this is loosely based on the Krampus. What if there were powerful beings in the Don't Starve world which would give you arbitrary rules to follow and attempt to punish you when you break them?

Of course, the point would not be to overload the player with rules. The point would be to present an interesting decision: Do you follow the demigod's rule which will hinder your ability to survive? Or, do you defy it and face its wrath? No matter what you choose, it would be a challenge, and you'd have to figure out which would be better in your specific situation.

The player should probably be presented with only one rule at a time, and it would only be in effect for a limited amount of time. Maybe the player would be rewarded if they followed it well enough. Punishments could take the form of adverse weather or monster attacks, for example. Perhaps if you make one of the demigods especially angry it will appear in person as some sort of boss monster. Maybe you can offer them presents to appease them.

So, for example:

There could be a rabbit demigod called Buni. It would demand that you do not eat any meat for a certain period of time. You try to eat as little meat as possible, but you're no vegetarian, and, every time you eat some, Buni gets angrier. It starts causing more and more lureplants to spawn as punishment for your sins. However, you manage to stave off its ultimate vengeance by offering it top hats and dapper vests. This manages to keep Buni happy enough until the rule goes out of effect.

I guess this is loosely based on the Krampus. What if there were powerful beings in the Don't Starve world which would give you arbitrary rules to follow and attempt to punish you when you break them?

Of course, the point would not be to overload the player with rules. The point would be to present an interesting decision: Do you follow the demigod's rule which will hinder your ability to survive? Or, do you defy it and face its wrath? No matter what you choose, it would be a challenge, and you'd have to figure out which would be better in your specific situation.

The player should probably be presented with only one rule at a time, and it would only be in effect for a limited amount of time. Maybe the player would be rewarded if they followed it well enough. Punishments could take the form of adverse weather or monster attacks, for example. Perhaps if you make one of the demigods especially angry it will appear in person as some sort of boss monster. Maybe you can offer them presents to appease them.

So, for example:

There could be a rabbit demigod called Buni. It would demand that you do not eat any meat for a certain period of time. You try to eat as little meat as possible, but you're no vegetarian, and, every time you eat some, Buni gets angrier. It starts causing more and more lureplants to spawn as punishment for your sins. However, you manage to stave off its ultimate vengeance by offering it top hats and dapper vests. This manages to keep Buni happy enough until the rule goes out of effect.

I like this idea! But It don't feel don't starvish... How about No warnings like how every player starts off  clueless...

Its a good idea but the current explanation just doesnt make any sense in the Don't Starve world.

That's kinda why I'm trying to stress the deminess of these beings. They're not supposed to be as powerful as Maxwell, and they're certainly not supposed to be as powerful as whatever Shadows are over him. They're just magical beings that are strong enough to mess with the player. I think there might be room for something like that in the world of Don't Starve.

Archived