[Request] I Want To Mod - But I Don't Know How!

Khrayfish

The title says it all, I have never modded a game in any way ever.

That being said, I want to start by making a mod for Don't Starve.

However, I have no idea how I go about this, I don't understand any of these mod functionalities or any of that stuff, I'm not sure where to go for help and I don't even know what to search.

Now, the mod that I have in mind (The one I want to create) is basically just a hunting mod, it revolves around the Koalephant hunting mechanic but I want to make a few more creatures, some aggressive, some passive etcetera.

So yeah, any help to help me get started off in the modding side of things would be more than greatly appreciated!

-Khrayfish

In case it isn't obvious to anyone, he is implying for you to download mods and look at how they're put together.

It would still be REALLY nice to have a central location that we can easily reference for what functions are available in vanilla, guides and tutorials, and just general modding information.

It would also be nice if said reference could be added to by the community.

Or, in other words, a wiki for modding Don't Starve. Or add a modding section to the existing Don't Starve wiki.

The problem with that is the following:

1) If you can read the code, then each function is its own explanation. They've steered away from overly complex use of the language, so most of the time user documentation isn't really warranted. The only exception I can think of is the UI pieces.

2) They are still updating the game, making large changes each patch. A wiki about the code would be out of date in 3 weeks or less. Many of the tutorials submitted also went out of date within a month or two. Community modding wikis are only really possible when the game has entered a more stable phase.

The title says it all, I have never modded a game in any way ever.

That being said, I want to start by making a mod for Don't Starve.

However, I have no idea how I go about this, I don't understand any of these mod functionalities or any of that stuff, I'm not sure where to go for help and I don't even know what to search.

Now, the mod that I have in mind (The one I want to create) is basically just a hunting mod, it revolves around the Koalephant hunting mechanic but I want to make a few more creatures, some aggressive, some passive etcetera.

So yeah, any help to help me get started off in the modding side of things would be more than greatly appreciated!

-Khrayfish

Do you have any coding knowledge ? You need to know a few basic concepts of OOP ( object oriented programming ).

Also , some photoshop will be required to create the new looks of you new creatures.

Here's an excellent tutorial on how to create your very own creature. The coding part. All you have to do is photoshop yourself the bodyparts and animate them. 

PS: You don't need photoshop. Any kind of image manipulator that has layer manipulation will do just fine. 

This question comes up a lot and the answer is always the same. If you have to ask such a basic question, then you are expecting modding to be as simple as building a Lego house with a nice big colorful instruction sheet to show you every step of the way. And, generally, if you even ask a question like that, then modding is probably way over your head. We just don't have a nice way to tell you that. Simply because to even understand any tutorials, you have to understand coding.

If you're capable of coding at all, then instead, you just dive into several mods, that are close to what you're looking for, to figure out how it all works. Then, when you get stuck, you come here and ask for help.

OP, you're entry level question is about one of the most difficult things to mod in the game.  Only a few great modders here are even capable of doing this.  For a taste, I'd suggest you read this entire thread about a similar mod (though this one is much more ambitious, it does touch on new mobs).  Here >>

This question comes up a lot and the answer is always the same. If you have to ask such a basic question, then you are expecting modding to be as simple as building a Lego house with a nice big colorful instruction sheet to show you every step of the way. And, generally, if you even ask a question like that, then modding is probably way over your head. We just don't have a nice way to tell you that. Simply because to even understand any tutorials, you have to understand coding.

If you're capable of coding at all, then instead, you just dive into several mods, that are close to what you're looking for, to figure out how it all works. Then, when you get stuck, you come here and ask for help.

I think what @tehMug is trying to say is that lots of us modders that work with the code have at least hundreds of hours working with some kind of programming language. If you have no knowledge whatsoever then it is not possible to just "dive in", you need to start with the basics. What is a variable and what types are there? What is a function and what are parameters? What is a table? What is the syntax used in the language? What are the most commonly used functions? What are the most common mistakes made by the coder? What are the most common errors that you get as a result of mistakes?

After that you can "dive in" and start to figure out the quirks of modding for this game.

Archived