Feedback + my experiences in Don't Starve

First off, I am thoroughly enjoying the experience.

I am into my 20+ hour into the game and now at the point waiting for more content.

Summary of deaths:

Death 1: Died at day 8:

I managed to survive the first pack of hounds on day 5, but the second pack on day 8 did me in.

Managed to survive long enough to map out 2 islands.

Learnt about researching.

Notes : Survived quite long only armed with a spear , no armour (I am a horrid pack rat)

Death 2: Died at day 4:

Got rather careless and let the light radius shrink placing me in the darkness.

Notes : Learnt to place at least 1 board or 6 charcoal at campsites to ensure that never happens again.

Death 3: Died at day 3:

Found the desert rock biome

Got too close to Tallbird while mining for gold for alchemy lab, hence got one shotted.

Death 4: Died at day 10:

After retrying to figure out how to get manure, I had the intelligent idea to beat the living snot out of the pigmen. Summary, don't attack pigs unless fully armoured. Failed to dodge 8 angry pigmen. (again no armour)

Death 5: Died at day 27:

After the hostile method didnt work, tried feeding them. Success, started farming but manure supply was difficult to keep stocked. However refusing to part with my backpack, died while learning to catch bees. Note : They hurt without the beekeepers hat.

Note : Inner pyromaniac unleashed , torching a large concenration of spider nests.

Death 6: TBA

Haven't died yet at day 80: (Had to drop my packrat behaviour, donning Logsuit as default)

Have cross swords with a fire hound. Killed a tenticle for a lovely weapon. Killed a treeant over an argument about 1 chopped 2 planted method.

Is it intentional that all research and map is carried over from games?

I found myself if I researched something in each death or learnt more about the map I came out ahead.

Regarding pigs, is anyone doing what I am currently doing with them?

I kill them every morning for a stable supply of meat, and pig skins (18 research points each, who knew pig skin was

made out of research gold). Having 2-3 houses nearby means neverending supply of meat and effigy peices. Having

run into werepigs in a previous death, killing them every morning removes the risk. Killing 1 pig before the other two

can react, 5 second routine every morning.

Bridges, a defensible position?

I got into the habit of building supply bases at the bottle necks of bridges. For every circle/bridge on the map, I tried

to at least have one campfire, with emergency food stocks. Bigger camps were situated near beefalo herds.

Campfire habits?

As I mentioned earlier I try to place 5 boards and 40 charcoal at each site. I found 1 board or 6 charcoal was enough

for an evening if added to fire halfway into dusk period.

Suggestions:

Like in diablo 3: Shift + click allows a character to attack and stay in one spot. I found some of my near deaths were

because the clicking spot made the character move to the spot instead of attacking the mob that was there.

Game could host a journal activity, logging how you died in previous lives or even replaying the last 10 to 30 seconds

before death for prosperity. Could spawn its own post, Best/Most memorable deaths.

When trying to pick up objects, the character could try to pick up all of the similar item within a small radius, for

example, logs, one click could attempt to pick up all the logs in that radius. I found it difficult to click on items that

were obscured by trees and other objects. Maybe have a button that we could push to ghost back a layer allowing

easier access/view.

GREAT feedback. Also, welcome to the forums.

Maybe have a button that we could push to ghost back a layer allowing easier access/view.

You can press [Q] and [E] to rotate the view and pickup obstructed objects. There's more control tricks in my signature ;)

And yes, slaving pigs is a little overpowered right now, it seems a common way of not starving currently.

I found some of my near deaths were because the clicking spot made the character move to the spot instead of attacking the mob that was there.
When trying to pick up objects, the character could try to pick up all of the similar item within a small radius, for example, logs, one click could attempt to pick up all the logs in that radius. I found it difficult to click on items that were obscured by trees and other objects. Maybe have a button that we could push to ghost back a layer allowing easier access/view.

Use the action key ( [sPACE] bar ) to attack, gather items (hold down), or anything else... It's so much easier this way.

Regarding ur question about research points:

In January a major overhaul is coming for the research point system. They will most likely be removed entirely and replaced with a prototype system where building the first of anything costs alot more resources, after which the price drops for the 2nd and all the following ones. The exact way of prototyping may still change, there are lots of suggestions for a different system than just "a more expensive first building", but research points will be removed regardless.

Additionally, after the change in January, starting a new game or creating a new world will reset ur tech. Currently research points and previous researches stay no matter what, and cannot be reset.

Regarding pigs, is anyone doing what I am currently doing with them?

I kill them every morning for a stable supply of meat, and pig skins (18 research points each, who knew pig skin was

made out of research gold). Having 2-3 houses nearby means neverending supply of meat and effigy peices. Having

run into werepigs in a previous death, killing them every morning removes the risk. Killing 1 pig before the other two

can react, 5 second routine every morning.

Well i spotted a post from Kevin saying that the duration between pig man respawing from their houses has been extended, so it won't be as easy to use them. Also, from what I could tell, pig men no longer drop meat when they die. Then again, they eat meat like mad men now, so it's hard to say...