Another Red Gem crafting use, for another light source

Seeing as it's dropped from the fire hound (and as the drop is now not even guaranteed), and can already be used for magic stuff, why not give it a crafting recipe to be a useful light source too?

Thinking something along the lines of lasting 2-4x as long as the miner's helmet (aka 2-4 nights worth of exploring), and it'd follow you around (so hands-free) floating slightly behind you (at about a pigman's speed), with a light range about 1.5-2x farther than a torch. It'd be a nice renewable alternative to fireflies, while still being rather rare due to how rarely fire hounds show up and drop the gems. Of course, if you wanted to add an extra hazard to it, you could make it light anything it passes over/through on fire as well.

Not sure what the crafting recipe would be though, maybe some red feathers + a gem + some gold.

A craft-able Navi? I love Legend of Zelda!

Seriously though, with how much other stuff you can have following you, and how important inventory space is, I feel this item would not be very well balanced.

Having the red gem replace gold in the Miners Hat and just having it last longer would probably be the most realistic/balanced change along the lines of your suggestion. Starting small is never a bad thing either.

A craft-able Navi? I love Legend of Zelda!

Seriously though, with how much other stuff you can have following you, and how important inventory space is, I feel this item would not be very well balanced.

Having the red gem replace gold in the Miners Hat and just having it last longer would probably be the most realistic/balanced change along the lines of your suggestion. Starting small is never a bad thing either.

Was mainly suggesting following behind as an unique drawback, rather than just being a 'straight upgrade' to the miners helmet, since it would mean you'd have to move slower to stay within the light, unlike miner's hat/torches which are centered directly on your character. Overall though, just a hands-free alternate to the miner's hat using renewable resources is what I'm after by suggesting it, since fireflies are limited .. about 100 on a map I'd have to guess.

Though if fireflies were made to re-spawn over time then that would be fine, too.