What does a shovel do?

I've just started playing. It's awesome!My question is what does a shovel do? I think it could be neat if you had to dig a small hole to plant some things, or even to trap some kinds of creatures.

I agree. Should be able to use as a weapon (can you?), plant seeds (first thing I would do) - now I know you can just easily plant a tree, but maybe the shovel should be a part of that? If not, it should be involved in agriculture. It could also be used to put out fires (with sand etc)

Should be able to use as a weapon (can you?)

You can. It's my first weapon of choice (because it's useless for everything else, except digging up graves).

[...] plant seeds (first thing I would do) - now I know you can just easily plant a tree, but maybe the shovel should be a part of that? If not, it should be involved in agriculture.

Couldn't agree more. Planting trees and seeds should require a shovel-made hole first. I made a whole forest not 3 steps away from my camp because I couldn't be bothered to travel 10 steps to cut trees (and by cutting I mean "commanding my army of pigs to swipe the whole forest for me). Replanting a forest is just to easy, there's no excitement in collecting wood.Also, planting seeds (and only seeds) with nothing more than a shovel would be a faster but troublesome way of getting food before being able to have a garden (which wouldn't require holes to plant).Overall, it would be more balanced and we would have more options with the same items we already have.