Suggestion: Shrine, Guy for the beginning, Randomly generated map

Hi there!

Straight to the point: Implement a research (f.e. 1000 research points) that allows you to build a shrine (f.e. 30 planks 30 cut stone) to the mysterious guy from the start. The shrine should have an "offerings counter" (counts the amount of gold you put in it each time, until you reach f.e. 1000 gold nuggets). When the offerings limit is reached the player should be prompted to summon the guy. When he pops into existence, the man will ask the player, if the player would like to be transferred to a new randomly generated world (with all his chests and stuff in them plus the things he is carrying). Old world will be lost with all the structures in it (farms, pig houses etc.). The day counter in the new world will pick up from the day the player left the old world.

Positives of adding the above concept to the game:

+ Players that like the "infinite concept map" will be satisfied

+ Players that don't like the "infinite concept map" will also be satisfied (they just don't research the shrine and stay)

+ Allows not all biomes to be generated on the starting map and thus not so much cpu usage when the whole map is revealed and new monsters, terrains, plants etc. are introduced as the game developes

+ Exploring is very satisfactory to the player in this game (at least for me ^^)

+ Not resetting the day counter has a more natural feeling to the whole concept of "how long will you survive" (people will also have something to brag about and compare total days survived without getting bored on the same map with no buffaloes, flint etc. left)

+ Having to collect 1000 gold nuggets in order to be transferred is a great goal for people and will ensure that the player will spend a lot of time on each world.

Negatives of adding the above concept:

- Everything will be infinite (mandrakes, buffaloes, beehives etc.), because the player jumps from world to world

- Transferring chests can become a problem, when they are many by simply requiring too much space around the player when he wakes up in the new world (this has a solution though: either limit the number of chests transferred f.e. 5, or collect a fee for each chest the player likes to be transferred f.e. 20 gold nuggets/chest*)

*there is a limited number of inventory slots, a player can carry so much gold nugget stacks when required! (i am personally a fan of this solution instead of the "limited chests" one, since it gives more freedom to the player)

- Randomly generated map with no pig king will mean that the player is stuck forever

- Other stuff i haven't think of...

Thank you for finding the time to read my post. You have created a great game. Keep u the good work.

Cheers!

This is too artificial.

What about :

You meet a girl on the island, you have a child together. Then you die.

Your child spawns in another world, uses his shovel on the graves of his/her parents and gets her/his inheritance.

That isn't what the OP is going for, the OP wants a way to go to a new island with his items, without dying. And to have two graves hold ALL your stuff would be… strange.

What about :

You meet a girl on the island, you have a child together. Then you die.

Your child spawns in another world, uses his shovel on the graves of his/her parents and gets her/his inheritance.

You dig up your parent's graves? That's mildly disturbing. I say "mildly" because I'm running around digging up random graves all the time in the game... but at least their anonymous people and not my parents (hence the "mildly disturbing" aspect). ;)

I don't know, is there a point to it? I mean, in past games where 2 characters have a child the purpose was to create a long spanning chronology and combine unique stats (i.e. from the parents to the child). I don't see the need for either here. Wouldn't it just be as good to have your character hop on a boat and sail to another island chain?

That isn't what the OP is going for, the OP wants a way to go to a new island with his items, without dying. And to have two graves hold ALL your stuff would be… strange.

Yup. While Kevin didn't indicate whether the journey would be one-way, I'm hopeful it isn't. I would like it to be more like how the Nether works in Minecraft. You have a way to a new world, but you can travel back. I enjoyed this because it also allowed me to transfer resources only found in one world to the other and vice-versa.

Why not simply transfer the player to a new map with only items in his inventory ? So he just moves on with the stuff he cares the most for and it doesnt become to overpowered (and don't have the hassle of the chest transfer etc)

That could work, but I would still want a way back. It all depends on what the new areas is all about. I mean, I would hope it's not just a remap of the same world.