Tips for a Noob

DFox

Hello, I created this thread asking for tips to help because I'm very bad at the game, at first I was going well, the most I got was 23 days, and now I'm dying almost always on the second day, wanted some tips to play better because I am noob in the game ...

And wondered why almost all the worlds I generate has islands, it is rare to have bridges to other islands and such.

Well if you've lived 23 days then it sounds like you're doing fine. Most of the fun from the game comes from making mistakes that get you killed. For example, I was trapped at sunset on an island with no light source and I died. After that I always kept a torch on me and that saved my life once when my firepit went out. Lesson learned.

If you're getting maps that don't have any bridges then I think that's good. Bridges are boring and a waste of time because there's nothing on them. You should be happy.

The Problem is that I get about 2 days walking to find rocks and scarce resources are well.

Okay, to survive you need the basics: grass, sticks, and logs. When you start you need to first find these along with flint. If you spot any berry bushes, carrots or seeds, snag and eat them right away if hungry. You'll want to make an axe ASAP and cut down 3-4 large trees to net about a dozen logs. Check you invention tab to see whether you can craft a camp fire, because once you can you're good for your first night, so long as you have extra logs or grass to burn. As an emergency measure also craft a torch (don't equip it).

Now with you axe you can also hunt rabbits. Don't focus on them , just whenever you spot a rabbit outside it's hole and it's farther away than the length of your pinky finger (estimated distance), place yourself between it and its hole, then attack it. Odds are you'll kill it and get food.

Once you've survived a few nights and crafted one of every tool (pick, axe, shovel) you can proceed to start cooking food. Cooked food is better than uncooked, it satiates more hunger, which is good. Cook any carrots, berries, and meat morself you find. Once you have about 40 cooked meat bowls or berries you're ready to venture across the land bridge and start collecting stones that you'll need to invent the science machine and unlock better inventions, like the fire pit. I hope these tips help.

Make a new world?

That's defeatist talk! You just gotta cowboy up! :p

I'll try to follow your tips, I have a problem with being anxious, I start making the fire stone making machine and the science of alchemy, bag, etc, so when I'm without recourse and ate all the food without much need, I will attack monsters before prepare armor and i end up dying =/

I'll try to follow your tips, I have a problem with being anxious, I start making the fire stone making machine and the science of alchemy, bag, etc, so when I'm without recourse and ate all the food without much need, I will attack monsters before prepare armor and i end up dying =/

It happens. I once got carried away with exploring and didn't realize I no longer had the essential resources required to create a camp fire or even a torch! It's basically the example I gave above. You just have to think ahead. Always have food (at least 4 cooked meat morsels) and the basic to create at least 2-3 torches or a camp fire. If you're hunting monsters you need a spear and a log suit, that or pig men at your beck and call.

Once hounds are introduced then these simple preparations will be a little more complicated. Right now you can afford to leave your spear behind if you aren't hunting spiders, but if hounds randomly spawn and attack you then you'll wish you had a weapon. So be sure to carry a spear with you after the Nov 27th update... just to be safe.

I don't think you're bad at the game at all. One of my biggest problems is rushing and being aggressive in my decisions. I die all the time doing what you do. I think the best way is trial and error to find what works for you. Trust me it's taken me a couple plays to get an understanding of the game since i haven't read anything about it. The important thing is to decide which type of island you want to start your home base. You can then spend your first day collecting food and finding it. Try not to take too many risks.

Hello, I created this thread asking for tips to help...

I would be glad to help out :)

First Day

Gather pretty much everything except flowers, as they are almost useless. I don't think I need to explain this too much because surviving until Day 23 is pretty good :wink:

Hunger

Always cook your food before you eat it. Try to keep your belly around a balanced 70 hunger points to insure that you don't accidently starve.

Hunting / Gathering Food

Try to find a grassland biome with a lot of bunnies. Hunting bunnies without a trap is quite simple. Align yourself in a line behind a bunny and the nearest bunny hole so that you intersect the bunny when it is trying to run away, and you will end up killing it most of the time.

Bird traps are very useful, as sometimes birds will get caught without even baiting the trap! But try to acquire log armor and a spear first before trying to hunt spiders for silk :wink:

Farming is not very reliable until you have a lot going at once, but if you have access to a lot of manure, then you can plant a seed and fertilize it, and it will be fully grown within seconds. Be sure to fertilize the seed though, and not the farm itself!

If you have access to a pig village, I suggest killing them off because they drop meat. They also respawn every day or so, making them a very reliable source of food. Don't attempt this until you have atleast log armor though!

Inventory Management

Try dropping off anything you won't need before exploring. Don't cook food until you need to eat them because if you gather more, they won't stack with their cooked counterparts! If you are hungry, eat any food that is in a small stack. Example: Eating 2 berries and a morsel rather than eating 2 morsels, and still having berries that take up space.

I hope some of this helped, and I am sorry if this is too much to read :)

Edited by Enchanter

Patience.

That is my tip.

Don't go rushing about into the exploration until you are sure you have a nice safe home to go back to.

I like to have a few things before I set off.- Armour is a big one for me. I also like to have materials to make at least 3 fires.

Food enough to last at least 5 days.

Big tip...do not, I repeat do NOT, attempt to herd beefalo in the first time in the morning. They chase you until very nearly dark, which makes just before twilight the best time to attack one to draw them along with you the first time. If you have a long way to take them, I suggest short bursts to keep you from being completely overwhelmed unless you know your map well.

Another little thing I haven't seen mentioned yet... if you're really struggling for food, you can cook and eat Seeds. They're not much, but 3-4 will at least "take the edge off" and refill your hunger bar a bit. Since you don't need Seeds until later on (when you're ready to farm and/or trap birds), it's no biggie if you eat the ones you find lying around your initial island area.

So this is the first indie game I have ever bought. I usually just play demos...get bored....then do something productive, but that is all a thing of the past:)

I have made it to day 22 so far that is my best before I try some hair-brain scheme and get killed....Oh BTW I LOVE THIS GAME!!! I am having a great time with it. However I have yet to see a beefalo or pig man or anything out of the ordinary. Kinda wondering if I am playing it way too safe? On the game where I made it 22 days I ended up getting killed by a tree that just stood up came over to my fire and killed me!? That was crazy I should have thought to equip a torch, that probably would've worked.