Here's how early you can get to a point of indefinite survival

Day 14 - I have plantations for everything. I can walk to my left a bit for whatever poop and dead beefalos I need. I walk one island to the right for rocks.

Basically after this point all there is to do is spend a week or so exploring the rest of the place, build more farm plots, and wear hats. A crockpot could be useful but is unnecessary.

I really hope hounds destroy your stuff in addition to trying to kill you. If not, they're going to need to add things that do.

http://i49.tinypic.com/ev55jb.jpg

Nice going for 14 days there, if you want to farm and hoard as quickly as possible, than yes, you can survive by simply stocking up. But do remember that it is a choice to play that style and that most players tend to need a fair amount of time to get to that point when they first start. I would not worry too much though, every update thus far has added a lot to the game and I am sure Kevin will make surviving harder.

I agree with 501105 if you know what your doing and rush for it you can set yourself up really well early on. What the game needs is progression because your farm and everything looks great from the picture but how would it look after some ravenious hell hounds run through and burn the dense clusters of grass, saplings, bushes and trees you've put up? Suddenly your camp doesn't look so good with one single mid/late game enemy. Its worth noteing that since that would be such a devistateing senario we should have ways of preventing it from happening.

It took me about 8 hours to figure out how to do that. Granted the first 5 hours or so Spent not knowing what the shovel was for since you couldn't dig holes.

But now I just spend the first day collecting twigs and fling then making an axe and a shovel. Then I chop down a couple trees and dig up every sapling, grass tuft, and berry bush I pass by. After that all you need to do is find a few rocks to mine and some grassland to settle on and you're set.

Frankly, if I still had the first world I made I could probably get all that done in 3 or 4 days. I spawned on a temperate zone with bushes, trees, and a few rocks, and right above it on the next island was a giant herd of beefalo.

That 14 day one involved about 3 or 4 days of exploration, then another 3 or 4 days of moving stuff from my campsites to my settlement. Then I just planted, mined, dug up the graves I'd passed and collected poop while my stuff grew.

I can't wait until that doesn't work anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah, I'm expecting things like hounds and storms and tornadoes and other malign scenarios to ruin my **** and make the game more interesting.

There are no enemies though ^^

And the update is a week away...

If I play for the 2nd time on a map I already explored, in 14 days I will have my base/farm already set up, everything explored, and I'll be hunting them tentacles. :<

I think I should survive 50 days to unlock the next character. Which is SO doable, I'm just going to be bored out of my mind till then..

One word- Beta

They are working on making the -middle- and -end- game parts of Dont Starve better and better.

The new hounds will change things. The birds stealing back seeds already makes you roam further to farm.

Pigs changing on you and not being so loyal means having to go seek them out when you need them.

Spiders are looking less and less like the big bad as the game goes on.

The grue i think will always remain.

It also depends on the player and how they chose to play. I know how to survive. I move slowly. Gaining a full appreciation for my surroundings exploring the new recipes and trying out all the new tools.

Its as much about self motivated exploration as it is about survival in my books.

Hounds should not destroy your stuff, Soon there may be natural disasters that will deal with your situation. and 14 days really isnt very much btw, im at day 114

The point wasn't that I was far, the point was that I basically never needed to move again and I had only played for 14 days.

And I know its just a beta, I was just pointing out my particular way to have a really easy time of things so that the devs and community could try and think of ways to make what I did harder. As much as the game exists at this point I have essentially figured it out and only die due to carelessness (Especially noticeable the few times I played 'Survive a night -> Take a shot')

That looks... boring.

I see your point and I too would like to see more things to do later in the game, but consider this is just the beginning of the game.

Knowing that... men, what a boring way of playing; rushing to get the basics. This game is about exploration and experimentation, not about turtleing up and waiting for the game to deliver.

You didn't even unlocked some of the stuff you can build. Why ask for more things when you don't use the things you were already given?

You strike me more of the RTS kinda guy. This is more of a casual game.

I didn't rush. 14 days to do all that was pretty leisurely. And I didn't do it to turtle, I did it so I could spend days exploring, fighting, and finding stuff. I usually wind up with a rock fire on every island, but I drag everything back to my main settlement once I've cleared the islands. The point of settling somewhere is that you have a fairly safe haven where you can stock up and recuperate before braving the wilderness again.

I'm in the middle of fighting some tentacles right now (day 57), but I'll post another shot in a bit.

And you're right, I hadn't unlocked everything. That's because not everything is necessary at the start. From that point on I unlocked and built everything else. Right now the only thing I don't have is a pig house and a couple of the hats.

And no, I don't like RTSs - too much micro-managing. I enjoy the campaigns if the game is well-designed, but multiplayer I could never get the hang of. I'm not Korean.

Not starving is the main feature of the game, but it is not all there is to do. I see not surviving more as a mainquest that never changes and that you are free to choose whatever sidequest you formulate for yourself. I spent a lot of time getting all hats and getting 6 garden gnomes so that I could put a creepy group of them near my firepit. My point is that you should try to let yourself go and float a bit, stay alive, but dont let not starving be everything you do in the game.

http://tinypic.com/r/yi6b5/6

That's where that world is now. All the piles on the ground are full stacks. I have broken every rock (except a handful on one faraway island). I have explored every area. I just made a raid into the swamps to fish and kill tentacles and spiders. My health is low so I'll stay at home for a day to recuperate.

Next I'm going to get some pigs. Also collect a lot of **** for making farm plots so I can grow some recipe ingredients.

My settlement is how I've gone about not starving. I'm not there all the time. I stay for a few days, bring in the harvest, heal and build if necessary, then I go do random junk. I want to see what happens if you give the pig king all kinds of things. He already gave me some gold for stuff.

There are only two mandrakes on my whole map.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I have to replant my forest.

You strike me more of the RTS kinda guy. This is more of a casual game.

Casual? THIS IS HARDCORE SURVIVAL AYE!

Tentacles do not casually feel u up like you would a damsel at ur school prom! They savagely kill u and murder u without hesitating, without mercy! Sigh its probably karma for me getting that poor piggie killed while stealing tallbird eggs :(

Edited by NeedPants

http://tinypic.com/r/yi6b5/6

That's where that world is now. All the piles on the ground are full stacks. I have broken every rock (except a handful on one faraway island). I have explored every area. I just made a raid into the swamps to fish and kill tentacles and spiders. My health is low so I'll stay at home for a day to recuperate.

Next I'm going to get some pigs. Also collect a lot of **** for making farm plots so I can grow some recipe ingredients.

My settlement is how I've gone about not starving. I'm not there all the time. I stay for a few days, bring in the harvest, heal and build if necessary, then I go do random junk. I want to see what happens if you give the pig king all kinds of things. He already gave me some gold for stuff.

There are only two mandrakes on my whole map.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I have to replant my forest.

Impressive, you could also try experimenting with the crockpot, you can make a lot of things with it and some recipes are not even discovered yet.