Wilson's Lament

(I am by no means a noob to creative writing, but this IS my first attempt at a DS fan fiction, so feel free to give me any feedback or suggestions! Enjoy! :) )

Don’t Starve

Wilson’s Lament

post-43632-13764594236592_thumb.png

A mortified, disheveled Wilson P. Higgsbury burst through the berry bushes, in a clearing in the forest glen. His hair and clothes were sprinkled with twigs and leaves, and his fine suit was torn where his body had been scratched, but still, at least he was alive. As Wilson stood there, gasping for breath, he listened as the sound of the roaring Hounds faded out into a mixture of angry Tallbirds chirping by the rock fields, pecking away at the beasts’ furry hides. They probably found a defenseless egg more appetizing and easier to catch than human scientist armed with an axe. With a sigh of both relief and exhaustion, Wilson trudged to an open flower field, about two hundred feet away from the unwelcoming pig village, which shut him out of their wooden huts the minute the sun hit the horizon.

The evening quickly waned on into night, a half moon rising over the exhausted scientist. He was cooking a couple of carrots over his campfire, and had wrapped his wounds with a poultice made of honey and fresh reeds from a nearby marsh, lest the deformed mosquitoes that lived there tried to get to his blood first. Wilson ate his meager meal with caution, listening warily to the sounds of insects chirping, Hounds howling, and snoring Beefalo. The noises were scattered near and far, but it was impossible to see anything in the thick blackness that surrounded the campfire.

Wilson gazed sadly at the fire, his troubled mind lost in thought. Why did Maxwell send him to this harsh wilderness? Why does this god-like stranger delight in torturing him? Why did he believe every word of that “secret knowledge” if there wasn’t any indication as to where it came from? And, probably the answer Wilson begged for the most, how would he ever get back home? The island was completely unfamiliar, there were no other humans on it, and judging by all the mythical flora and fauna, it probably wasn’t even in this dimension! It seemed like ages since he had reached out to any friends or family, so who would ever think to look for him?

Wilson supposed he had himself to blame for that one. He’d practically thrown away his social life when he chose to stay secluded in that laboratory in the middle of the forest. He had no company other than that of his test tubes, foot notes, lab rats, and shelves of books. If he were to make a successful breakthrough all on his own back home, who would he show it to? Who would be there to marvel at his accomplishments, or lend him a helping hand if it didn’t succeed? It was heartbreaking to think that the only voice of companionship he’d heard in that cabin turned out to be an elaborate puppet show. To shut yourself out of the world is one thing; to be shut out is another.

Poor Wilson began to cry as he buried his head in his knees. As much as he hated being stuck on this island, the experience had opened his eyes to realize how lonely he truly was. He’d taken the chances for potential friendship for granted, dismissing it to toil away on an experiment without an observer, a performance without an audience. Crying wasn’t going to get him off the island, either, but after being so desperate to flood his mind with knowledge, Wilson needed some time to clear it out, to drain it of the distress and terror that made him too overwhelmed to think straight.

Finally, by morning, Wilson had calmed down. He dried his eyes to see the sun rising in the teal-blue sky. With a small smile and a deep breath, Wilson got back on his feet, and held his axe over his shoulder; he had a lot of work to do over the next few days.

The End

Edited by ral365
  • Like 2

I love it! Wonderfully written, almost poetic! :excitement: The emotion and feel is great. Nice job capturing the emotion. It seems as though he took it from a personal experience, as though you've felt that way before. It didn't drag, either. Just the right balance. BRAVO!

I love it! Wonderfully written, almost poetic! :excitement: The emotion and feel is great. Nice job capturing the emotion. It seems as though he took it from a personal experience, as though you've felt that way before. It didn't drag, either. Just the right balance. BRAVO!

Thank you! ^^ Glad I did a good job for my first DS fanfiction

Wow, talk about inspiring a 'been there, done that' feeling, even if that's not the case. o.O Nice job.

Well, I've never been trapped on a deserted island in another dimension before, lol, but I do know what it feels like to realize how lonely you are after thinking that you're happy being by yourself all the time. :(

As for the being lonely bit, now that I've sadly lived through for most of my life thanks to my Asperger's. Hyper-intelligent, yet prone to shutting out the world due to the world seeing you as weird or unusual. After a while, those with the condition often find that it's easier to be alone, which eventually bites the person in the tail-end in some way.

As for the being lonely bit, now that I've sadly lived through for most of my life thanks to my Asperger's. Hyper-intelligent, yet prone to shutting out the world due to the world seeing you as weird or unusual. After a while, those with the condition often find that it's easier to be alone, which eventually bites the person in the tail-end in some way.

Amen. I'm an Aspie, too. But through the years, I've realized that I WANT to have friends and family in my life. My dreams wouldn't be complete without them with me. <: )

Oh, I'm not saying I am friendless, far from it. I have a select group of friends that accept me for who I am. For us, the invention of the Internet was a blessing in disguise...a blessing poor Wilson was never able to take advantage of.

Oh, I'm not saying I am friendless, far from it. I have a select group of friends that accept me for who I am. For us, the invention of the Internet was a blessing in disguise...a blessing poor Wilson was never able to take advantage of.

That's why I had that be Wilson's main character development change in my DS animated film idea (in the General Discussion thread: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?23537-Don-t-Starve-Animated-Film ). He develops a loving bond with Chester, and later, after he set the other characters free, they all become his good friends, too. :)