Birch trees/forest

I'm kinda against anything that resembles Minecraft (without a specific purpose).

I wouldn't like to have a legion of minecraft-fans boycotting Don't Starve because of unnecessary resembles. It's not like they did it first (most of their stuff was done before) but it's fan base is so big that we are bound to encounter a really big bunch of hotheads willing to defend "their" game talking **** about any other game they think "copied" Minecraft.

Minecraft didn't invent trees or forests. I live in Canada where pine and birch trees are exceptionally common in wooded areas. Mother Nature herself did it first. Other tree types are a good idea, even if they provided the same wood as the pine trees, it would add aesthetic variation to the forests. If it were taken further where it would provide a unique resource, perhaps the birch bark 'paper' from around the trunks, that could add some interesting crafting ideas. Bushcrafters build cups, bowls, containers of all sorts out of this versatile bark...and that's in real life!

I'm kinda against anything that resembles Minecraft (without a specific purpose).

I wouldn't like to have a legion of minecraft-fans boycotting Don't Starve because of unnecessary resembles. It's not like they did it first (most of their stuff was done before) but it's fan base is so big that we are bound to encounter a really big bunch of hotheads willing to defend "their" game talking **** about any other game they think "copied" Minecraft.

This game would be very limited if it took out everything that resembled minecraft. Either way I don't understand why a type of tree would be connected to minecraft.

This game would be very limited if it took out everything that resembled minecraft. Either way I don't understand why a type of tree would be connected to minecraft.

I'm not talking about everything that resembles Minecraft, I'm talking specifically about birch trees. It's just that is a very distinguishable tree. The majority of trees are colored somewhere between dark green and brown. Birch trees are to trees what dalmatians are to dogs.

BUT, considering Klei is Canada-based, I guess there shouldn't be a problem.

Either way, I'm just trying to save us from a bunch of angry fanboys, that's all. But I bet a birch tree guardian would kick ass :D

I would point out that 'maple syrup' can be made from trees other than maples. Birches are one of the big alternate sources of sap. Obvious game mechanic addition is obvious. :c)

In addition, their loose outer bark is waterproof and is great for tinder!