Older items gonna be falling behind as junk or useless. My solution? Stations giving them upgrades.

Simple as is, we got several stations now that going to be underused after we craft everything. I think it's an opportunity to make crafting stations a lot more relevant later on and make them be able to upgrade tools and staves durability, ability and planar wise.

Alchemy Engine, Shadow Manipulator and Ancient Pseudoscience Station becoming more relevant to give us options to power up to some degree or repair certain tools would make a big difference to keeping them and actually using them more.

Durability, planar damage, blocking abilities, more cursed tenticles, faster attacks, throwing ability...

Klei devs did mention they want us to use everything we have and mix match stuff to situations and how we wanna handle them, and if they work on that front I think they could surely improve our arsenals and gameplay as a whole to someday having those older bosses updated to match an evolving game.

Is this change necessary? Maybe, maybe not. But fun to think of possibilities of what they COULD do and how we could have more fun in this game since we're mostly combat oriented as a whole anyway. Make combat fun and update tools and you've got a survival game with more depth and enjoyment for everyone.

Ever wanted to throw a spear in DST? I'd have fun with that.

10 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I disagree just due to my low regard for stationary objects. I don’t see any point, you can add fun to things with potential like bunnies or critters or twiggy trees

I mean, it's one way to loop back to vanilla structures and items without tossing it all out to the trash.

I think to keep old items relevant-ish new items should use them as part of their crafting recipes.

Something like the Shadow Scythe requiring a darksword

Sure, that'd essentially increase the items required to craft new items but I don't really care :D

I really want a dreadstone upgrade to thule club. It's a dumb reason but hear me out. 

Thulecite club is likely inspired by the aztec weapon macuahuitl (they look a lot alike and ancients have some obvious aztec theming with thulecite, ruins and all).

One thing that differs between the two is that a club isn't meant to cut unlike a macuahuitl which has sharp obsidian shards on the edges.

I don't need to explain the similarity between obsidian and dreadstone. Sharp, hard, shiny, dark. Dreadstone is basically evil obsidian. With ancients using dark shadow magic masterfully it's a no brainer if they ever got their hands on dreadstone they would weaponize it. So maybe somewhere in the ruins there's a blueprint to make a new upgraded thule club. 

I'm still thinking about the stats and mechanics. So it'll be repairable with dreadstone 1 piece of it should repair like 25%. Doesn't break just useless at 0%. It will keep the previous abilities, the tentacle and movement speed. Maybe convert it's damage or some of it to planar. Shadow tier buffed to 3. Every 5% durability lost dreadstone shards shatter and do an aoe damage splash exactlt like bramble armor but a bit more damage. 

I wanted to make it have a debuff like abby petals but that would be massively OP so decided against it. Maybe bleed but that just doesn't fit DST in the slightest.

This would make it the best weapon in the game but i think it's a fair price.

Thanks for reading if you did.

• Like 1

Kinda yea, would too want upgrade with dreadstone or brilliance for like adding specific lunar or shadow affinity to items, reinforcing them with marble or thulecite to last longer overall.

To be fair if we get upgrade stations and we could use thulecite to increase durability of certain items it would do wonders overall. Dreadstone to reduce shadow attacks and or increase damage against them etc.

Some games do it and have upgrades for the sake of keeping all items relevant. I think terraria got the tinkerer and there's Corekeeper with upgrade table that asks for materials and money.

At most I could only think about upgrading ruins gear so it could be relevant for once, would also add more content to the shadow side of things.

I see absolutely no reason to not make them repairable given how brightshade and void is, also with how inconvenient ruins gear is to make then people would not ever go for it if it's just going to break on them again and they have to go all the way back for more.

If you mean just upgrading normal gear such as spears then no, gear is meant to be left behind as you get better stuff.