So what is the point of Scrappy Werepig's loot?

I geniuinely don't get what the value behind the loot is, the range expander has little to no functional application beyond the earlygame, which isn't when you're going to be getting this item. It's mostly just a cool way to look at your base. And the hat is just not useful at all. This doesn't feel like a worthwhile reason to take on this boss, are Klei just gonna add a bazillion drops to him like they did to NMWP?

• Like 4

It's bad enough that the range increase is minimal, why does it filter the screen on top of that? I thought the point was to see better. It could at least up the map range to match

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think the horizon expander could probably be improved if Klei buffed some items that use range to execute. For example, let the lazy explorer/soul hop teleport further while this is worn (I would say just increase their range but this'd let client side zoom mods cheese it).

You could also add a 'blind fire' mode to blowdarts (mostly the howlizter) similar to the Forge's burst attack that allows you to manually aim your ranged projectiles in order to shoot mobs at the edge of your vision. Or just have the horizon expander also buff the range of ranged weapons by a lot if you're not concerned about the consistent damage (although to be fair even automatic aim often misses moving targets at the current range).

If we wanna get really cool/crazy, what if you could use this item to spectate an occuvigil, or other players? You could load in areas manually or check in with your teammates. Or even spectate new players to see if they're gonna grief your server.

I think an item like the range expander has a lot of potential.

The chapauldron on the other hand is an enigma to me. We already have a bevvy of incredibly useful headgear available to us. The dreadstone helm and eyemask cover the earlygame while the Brightshade helm is excellent in the lategame. The dreadstone helm especially is specifically essentially forced on us by virtue of having to defeat NMWP to even fight Scrappy Werepig in the first place.

Protection from earthquakes isn't a big deal in the slightest, the main damage earthquakes deal is to your IRL sanity as they clutter your caves with useless garbage and later boulders. But we have access to pillars to prevent that, and in cases where we go away from our pillars we can very easily just tank earthquakes by wearing armour or simply sitting on a beefalo. Or yknow, avoid the rocks as they fall.

Maybe this item is just meant to be a flavour thing, I don't know. It certainly looks very funny, but it's not worthy of being boss loot at all. I think if this item is going to remain as-is I'd want a way to get a blueprint so we can put it on random pigmen/bunnymen/merms for the funnies. And i'd also want another item of loot for pre CC Scrappy Werepig to make it actually worth defeating him.

You could try to argue that the main benefit of killing Scrappy Werepig is being able to re-fight NMWP, but NMWP's loot can be very easily and cheaply duplicated with construction amulets and deconstruction staves.

• Like 1

The point is scrap! Scrap walls give a decorative incentive to repeating the fight, while the need for scrap to summon the Celestial Champion gives a gameplay incentive to repeat the fight. The other stuff is more of a bonus imo, I like using the horizon expandinator for tracking suspicious dirt piles, but I can see why it would be underwhelming.

• Like 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

On 3/24/2024 at 5:46 AM, Gi-Go said:

It's good for ocean and for klaus sack. Not very impressive but an item I don't mind having.

Lazer cannon tho... man I wish we'd get that. 

Taking into account that to get the hat you need to fight a boss that requires you to previously to get ruins gear and fight him first in the caves, it is a very, very bad reward. This also scares me because, just like the Ice Crystaleyezer, they are still  putting effort in implementing some content that gives us almost no good reward. It is even worse because there is a much more efficient mod than the Hat.

I really hope that they will  buff this hat soon... and also buff the crystaleyezer. It is sad to see new items that doesn't work efficiently or are a nuisance.

• Like 2