Challenge Ideas for the next run

Hey folks, I've been feeling the ONI itch recently and decided to start a new run in May but for some reason I really want to suffer a bit so I'm looking for hard but realistic challenges. My last two playthroughs were

- All Achievements + Max Difficulty on Flipped Asteroid moonlet + Teleporter, which I finished

- All Achievements + Max Difficulty on Radioactive Moonlet (no teleporter), which I got all the tricky achievements and stabilized, but eventually got tired and stopped playing

I don't want to necessarily retry these exact challenges or the same thing in a different moonlet so I'm wondering if folks have ideas of twists to make the experience either harder or that introduce some interesting new challenges.

A few ideas I have

- 100 dupe challenge in some moonlet start + all achievements + max difficulty (has anyone even tried this? is it doable at all with little to no deaths? classic starts I know are doable. I assume a teleporter is required at least for flipped asteroid, I can see radioactive being doable without it due to so much water)

- get all dupe challenges until 100, no deaths allowed on a moonlet start + All Achievements + Max Difficult 

But I wanted to see if folks have better ideas.

Thanks!

Its probably not that challenging, but I was thinkign about "only native species" run on moonlets. Bacisally I would have to farm plants and ranch critters only on planets where those plants/critters live naturally. I would have to colonize all 5 moonlets and have permanent garrison on all of them. I would also try to make foods from local reosurces, to avoid just shipping berrry sludge from one asteroid. Finally I would not use interplanetary launcher. The whole point would be to learn interplanetary logicstics, rather than just shipping resourced to 1 main colony.

Edited by GluttonyMain
  • Like 2

Some ideas: 

- No lizer usage. Produce O2 from algae or pWater...

- Gulp fish cooling system. Turbines are for weaklings, be modern, be green!

- Get Moos runch with good cows population

- No geyser usage. Use resources worldgen offers you, get space mining for more

- Wheel energy only. Generators are not allowed. Turbines - for cooling, not for electricity

- No exploits. Inf.storages, pot planting etc is forbidden. Play game as developers want it to be played :)

Any of these may be combined with each other...

Edited by asurendra
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, SackMaggie said:

This will make early game (possibly) imposible to survive.

With full achievements - for sure. Without locavore I think its quite possible as all you need is to plant some mealwoods and build oxygen diffusor

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GluttonyMain said:

Its probably not that challenging, but I was thinkign about "only native species" run on moonlets. Bacisally I would have to farm plants and ranch critters only on planets where those plants/critters live naturally. I would have to colonize all 5 moonlets and have permanent garrison on all of them. I would also try to make foods from local reosurces, to avoid just shipping berrry sludge from one asteroid. Finally I would not use interplanetary launcher. The whole point would be to learn interplanetary logicstics, rather than just shipping resourced to 1 main colony.

I was thinking about something similar, but doing it for all asteroids.

I probably wouldn't go without interplanetary launchers, as I like the 'trade' back n forth, but I'd have each asteroid run its own self-sufficient colony of 2-4 dupes, So no big primary colony, and each colony would run its own farms/ranches. Launchers would only be used for resources a colony couldn't produce on its own (like refined metals).

The challenge would be in laying out what each asteroid would do, with limited labor on each, and in getting them self-sufficient enough that I wouldn't go crazy micromanaging them all. :) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, GluttonyMain said:

That's a really really cool set of ideas. I always have this imaginary goal of try to farm all plants/critters but then you inevitably just end up going the good old optimized routes and it never comes true. Your approach would make it naturally happen, or at least get closer to naturally happen. I wonder if to take it a step further preventing any type of ongoing interplanetary trade (other than for what's needed to set-up the base to begin with) which means, as much as possible, sustainability has to be achieved with whatever geysers/etc are available (with a fallback to asteroid fields if not possible), at least for the 5 bigger moonlets.

I may try this + max difficult and maybe all achievement, but let's see what people suggests.

Loving the ideas overall, keep them coming!

Edited by PedroS123

Abyssal-heavy

Not really a significant increase in difficulty but my last run was to try and destroy as little abyssalite as possible. Going through natural breaks or thin spots. Made me change up builds a bit and spread out some production and logistics.

My rule of thumb was 3 abyssalite tiles per biome for "free" and every one after was 10x dupe days per tile (4th 10, 5th 20...). So relatively east to get to a second biome but tough to get to multiple. 

If you combined this with some other restrictions it could be a challenge. Great topic... have fun!

You could try the plug slug challenge. All electricity created via slugs as soon as possible, only manual before that. Allowed to use the hydrogen the slugs produce for extra power. Slugs need to be fed which might get interesting to manage lategame.

Could even extend that to slug morphs replacing all pumps wherever temperature allows it.

• Like 1

Currently playing a challange run my self

Rules are:

Not allowed to use water geysers except of those on the water planet. They may be analyzed but it must be done while they are dormant.

Full achivement run (obviously)

No space research production (Data Banks), all space research must be obtained from inspecting stuff, analyzing geysers and analyzing artifacts.

No carepackages. - teleporter is ok.

No exploits. (unlimited storage, infinite gas oil well etc.) Automating stuff to save on power (incubator for example) is ok. 

19 minutes ago, SkunkMaster said:

Full achivement run (obviously)

No space research production (Data Banks), all space research must be obtained from inspecting stuff, analyzing geysers and analyzing artifacts.

Are those feasible together? All from coffee mugs?

20 minutes ago, SkunkMaster said:

No exploits. ([...] infinite gas oil well etc.)

If getting infinite pressure from a building that cannot overpressure is an exploit, I would really like to know what the "etc." is. (I'm honestly curious, because I've never seen that one listed before. I'm not trying to start a discussion over the definition of "exploit", I've had enough of those.)

15 hours ago, pnambic said:

Are those feasible together? All from coffee mugs?

I'll cross that bridge once I get there. that said there are a bunch of unique artifacts to be found and studied and every planet has like 5 or so geysers, each giving between 10-20 data banks.

15 hours ago, pnambic said:

If getting infinite pressure from a building that cannot overpressure is an exploit, I would really like to know what the "etc." is. (I'm honestly curious, because I've never seen that one listed before. I'm not trying to start a discussion over the definition of "exploit", I've had enough of those.)

It might be a mod thing, but my oil wells can output gas even when the oil aint running and the water is backed up. 

And when it comes to exploits, It's part of the challange. This is a solo game, people should build and play the way that gives them the most joy.

17 minutes ago, SkunkMaster said:

I'll cross that bridge once I get there. that said there are a bunch of unique artifacts to be found and studied and every planet has like 5 or so geysers, each giving between 10-20 data banks.

Fair enough; I thought you might have done it before, maybe. My current base has Cosmic Archaeology done (overdone; all unique artifacts collected), I have about 500 leftover data banks, and maybe another 150 in unanalysed geysers, but I got 1200+ from the orbital lab, and I'm unsure how much repeated coffee mugs yield

17 minutes ago, SkunkMaster said:

It might be a mod thing, but my oil wells can output gas even when the oil aint running and the water is backed up. 

And when it comes to exploits, It's part of the challange. This is a solo game, people should build and play the way that gives them the most joy.

As I said, I'm not trying to restart the exploit discussion, I just wanted to see your personal "don't do that"-list.

Edited by pnambic