Weak item alternatives to character specific mechanics

Firstly, let me note this is not a pure suggestion, but rather I'm making this post to see how other people feel about this

The Scrap Hat that Scrappy Werepig drops has got me thinking... are other folks also interested in there being weaker alternatives to some specific character mechanics?

Here's an example:
Woodie's hardhat currently protects against falling debris. This is something I absolutely love about it, but I wish I could use this outside of him at times.
I was honestly expecting the Scrap hat to have this feature, turns out it doesn't, it just protects against Werepigs thrown junk projectiles.

Would it too much to have this hat protect against falling debris too?
Personally I figure not, since it is stuck behind low durability and a boss fight. But it did have me wondering if people would be for, or against more items that shared this sort of 'weaker alternative' aspect.

Wigfrid's shield is another item that the scrap hat reminded me of. I was looking at it and thought it would also be fitting as a handheld shield. Just, far weaker, and without the parry ability. I admit that it's too late for the scrap hat to do this, but the concept of another weaker alternative to the shield would be something I'd be interested in. Somewhere a bit under the Shield of Terror, even.

Anyhow, thoughts on something akin to this? It doesn't have to be drastic. We've got items like the Spider hat, and panflute to reference even, with their character specific abilities being absolutely stronger. Just thought this'd be a fun topic.
image.png.ea65b41f92960759b06d26ad02b1de11.png

• Like 15
  • Shopcat 1

That’s the way it’s always been, character kit items or skills have just been faster access to something else you could get later in the game.

Walter has Woby which is both a 9 slot storage and a rideable mount, but anyone can obtain chester & tame a Beefalo.

Wortox can soul hop but anyone can get a teleporting staff.

Walani had a surfboard but anyone could build a boat.

Willows skill tree gives her a Fireball that’s just an early game Dwarf Star.

Wilson can craft the Multi-Colored Easter Egg, but Anyone can do the specific requirements needed to obtain one without him.

• Like 4
  • Wavey 1

I personally always like it when characters have easier access to something everyone has access to, or when they have an "upgraded" version of existing items so to speak.

Stuff like Winona having an alternative way to repair clothing and wortox essentially having a passive lazy explorer at all times is pretty damn nice. Just so long as there's aspects differentiating the character exclusive thing from the item existing for everyone else (as well as either not entirely overshadowing or trivializing the other) I'd welcome more things like that with open arms.

• Like 4