Mature palmcone trees should drop 2 sprouts

20 hours ago, chirsg said:

A sprout should drop from palmcone trees at every stage. It's really too stressful for no reason to farm up a lot of palmcone trees for any reason. 

This one i agree with 100%. Is is especially dumb for followers who will knock them down when they are not fully grown, so you need to wait for the perfect time when all are fully grown.

Edited by Jakepeng99

@chaosmonkey Curious how you think about this now that gleams are much faster to collect. Personally I can see both sides here. Portal farming is definitely more balanced around banana bushes and monkeytails, at the same time palmcone trees are much better for efficient wood farming.

How about the idea of increasing the return on palmcone seeds out of the portal?

45 minutes ago, JazzyGames said:

@chaosmonkey Curious how you think about this now that gleams are much faster to collect. Personally I can see both sides here. Portal farming is definitely more balanced around banana bushes and monkeytails, at the same time palmcone trees are much better for efficient wood farming.

How about the idea of increasing the return on palmcone seeds out of the portal?

I think balancing palmcone tree acquisition with palmcone tree farming efficacy is a mistake. Prior to the gleam fix, in a short 13 days, you could farm plenty of gleams to have a 10 tile square area of palmcone trees for farming. It would take _several_ duping cycles lasting several days each starting from even a modest amount of palmcone sprouts to get to the same 400 trees you'd need for that. So, if palmcone trees are considered too powerful of a wood farm, then it's not because "duping made it easier to get enough" because these numbers show it's not that hard to get plenty to mass farm wood.

Now, the moon gleam farming is certainly quite a bit easier and more engaging. Just catch as many as you want! That 13 days is now basically as fast as you can catch the gleams instead of only 16/day. We can infer from this, and the fact that there's no change since palmcone release, that Klei isn't worried about farming efficacy of palmcone trees as long as it comes after moonstorms.

I don't like the balance of collecting palmcone trees from moon gleams. The whole process is still pretty tedious for the sheer volume of palmcone sprouts you need to decorate with them at a large scale. Klei has spoken their mind on the matter with this most recent change by making it easier to collect through gleams. Still, anyone wanting to decorate with trees is going to have a huge surplus of Banana bushes and Monkeytails.

So, where are we at in total?

• It's extremely easy to collect a lot of moon gleams
  • Klei seems fine with palmcone farming balance as long as it's after moon storms
  • Wanting to decorate with palmcone trees is going to leave a surplus of bushes/monkeytails.
  • Turning in hundreds of moon gleams is still tedious

I'd like to see one of the following improvements to be implemented

• Let us turn in stacked moongleams to the portal and get proportional rewards (and monkeys). Doesn't solve surplus of other portal supplies though.
  • Let us trade with the Queen of Moon Quay to get palmcone sprouts in exchange for banana bushes and monkey tails
  • Better yet, implement both of these changes to reduce the tedium of handing in gleams and reduce wasted resources.
  • Like 4

I hear you, and I appreciate that you are making a distinction between the effort of acquiring trees for farming and that of decorating. It would seem to me that there are numerous examples of resources and structures that do not become any easier to mass produce in the late game; at some point we are still grinding for these resources if we want to use them in decorations, even tree seeds. Palmcones definitely have a unique acquisition method compared to other trees but with the new speed of acquiring moongleams I doubt that this method will be any slower than the traditional process of harvesting trees to dupe seeds over multiple growth cycles. Much more engaging than replanting and replanting hundreds of seeds, for that matter. You can gather hundreds of gleams in a few days.

I'm mainly struggling to wrap my head around the argument that, for decoration purposes, palmcone trees need more access than banana bushes or monkeytails. I use the two plants all over my builds personally; they're one-of-a-kind crops where palmcones are one of five different trees with which you could choose to decorate. They're also naturally immune to brightshades which had extreme value to me as a builder prior to this beta. I usually have many more palmcones on hand than monkeytails because I prefer birchnut trees for most builds. So this notion that palmcones need to be more accessible because they have more decoration value feels highly subjective. And while I love decor trees, I do think it would be a mistake to readjust game mechanics based on aesthetic preferences.

I do like your first proposed improvement for mass portal farming but I don't quite see how that will solve your main qualm that you don't like having to farm moongleams to acquire trees en masse. I doubt the method is going to change but I would still be a supporter of boosting seed return from the portal. If nothing else we can hopefully agree on that.

• Like 1

Ah interesting, I love to hear counterexamples to my conjecture here. For me personally, I use way more trees than the other resources, but it makes sense how you'd have different preferences and utilization of those resources.

I actually think the moon gleam farm is in a good spot at this point. My main qualm with it was just the "hurry up and wait" of only having 1 spawn on a 30 second timer.

My remaining qualm is feeding the portal since the animations are rather slow to spit out all the resources + monkey. Maybe they could make it possible to trade any resources for any other at the queen so that regardless of your tastes you can always fully utilize the portal resources.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chaosmonkey said:

Ah interesting, I love to hear counterexamples to my conjecture here. For me personally, I use way more trees than the other resources, but it makes sense how you'd have different preferences and utilization of those resources.

I actually think the moon gleam farm is in a good spot at this point. My main qualm with it was just the "hurry up and wait" of only having 1 spawn on a 30 second timer.

My remaining qualm is feeding the portal since the animations are rather slow to spit out all the resources + monkey. Maybe they could make it possible to trade any resources for any other at the queen so that regardless of your tastes you can always fully utilize the portal resources.

A bit ironic that at this point portal farming takes so much more time than actually catching gleams.

1 hour ago, mykenception said:

Flingomatics?

Who uses flingo? And if someone uses them, saying that someone will farm palm corns to fill flingomatics is absurd

If someone is to dumb to do that maybe they wont be able to even reach the moonquay island without dying when someone with a funtional brain will farm tons of chacoal in safety of the mainland in less time 

What i can see being added is palmtrees dropping one seed in every stage (or almost every stage) so we dont need to wait until they are mature to recover the see if we need to relocate them or something happens

Edited by arubaro
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, arubaro said:

What i can see being added is palmtrees dropping one seed in every stage (or almost every stage) so we dont need to wait until they are mature to recover the see if we need to relocate them or something happens

I think this is a good idea. Make the seed drop at the final two stages instead of just the one. Makes it a little easier to maintain your farm if you're patient and gives you reasons to return to Moon Quay if you're not.

• Like 2

For game balance, it is desirable to drop one palmcone seed in 3 level palmcone tree. Otherwise, palm trees are OP. They gives more fuels than other trees, and Klei has worked hard to create monkey island contents, but if can increase palmcome seed with just chopping, there are fewer opportunities to visit the island over time.

Edited by Dreadstone

On 3/13/2024 at 6:25 PM, StankyTheKlown said:

Could update the monkey queen with a few more trade options, banana shake for sprouts, banana daquiri for monkeytails, banana pop for more banana bushes.

You sir, are a genius

• Like 1