The "increased" odds for Celestial Orb and why it's still the same

I will try to keep this short. I think Klei made a step in the right direction regarding the Celestial Orb's odds, however those odds are still largely irrelevant to the actual problem. The Celestial Orb spawns if the following criteria are met:

1) A meteor shower spawns a large boulder (amount of which depends on the shower intensity)

2) With 15% chance, one of the large boulders is a moon rock boulder (that is if a large boulder spawns at all)

3) The Celestial Orb chances roll the dice and decide that the moon rock boulder contains the seed (only this criteria has been buffed in favor of the player)

Considering that the criteria #3 is still irrelevant in the case that a large boulder is NOT a moon rock boulder (85% per boulder spawned), the Orb has really good chances of NOT spawning, especially if the character is not present during the meteor shower.

I suggest adding at least one guaranteed moon rock boulder to each meteor shower, independent from the off-screen modifier, to solve this issue once and for all.

Edited by mr. brj
  • Like 9
  • Health 1

Rephrasing it so other people can get an idea: Maximizing the orb chances with the new added factors will result in it having it the same chance to spawn per meteor shower that it would from day 60 onwards (if you just waited). Considering we've all had worlds where the orb didn't spawn until day 100-200, these chances are still extremely low

Edited by Guille6785
  • Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

I don't understand why would it be a bad idea for it to spawn on world generation, why does it need to be so complicated and still rng..

Edited by 00petar00
  • Like 4

I'm pretty sure that the main reason you didn't get it in the 200+ day world is there are already too many boulders in the meteor field, and players wouldn't intentionally dig them, which prevents the first step. 

It‘s has been fixed.

• Like 2

Should probably drop the RNG modifications and just have a few events check the world for the celestial orb, and if its not present force it to drop from the sky.  Events I can see triggering this might be:

Complete any pearl quest, defeat CK, activate archives, assemble the inviting formation, defeat AFW.

There could still be a chance to get it early, but this way you know once you're doing something that shows CC is in your sights the key will become available.

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 2

I think it would be fair to immediately call a meteor shower that has guaranteed orb the moment when any altar is fully build since the player can make character switching stuff there's no reason to withhold it 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

I don't understand why would it be a bad idea for it to spawn on world generation, why does it need to be so complicated and still rng..

I actually like that we have an item that can fall from the sky:D But for the sake of practicality, adding a guaranteed moon rock boulder to every meteor shower basically keeps the showers the way they were while also preventing the moon rock shell from not spawning. I would even go further and suggest that the guaranteed moon rock meteor (not necessarily the one with the orb) get a special animation to boost its epicness and to show that something is going on with the moon itself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr. brj said:

I would even go further and suggest that the guaranteed moon rock meteor (not necessarily the one with the orb) get a special animation to boost its epicness and to show that something is going on with the moon itself.

I like this idea but I'd keep it only for when the suspicious boulder drops. It'd be cool to have a special "glow" event in the sky that signifies orb's presence and a character quote to go with it. Similar to how we can see when a lunar rift reaches its full power. 

Edited by Lovens
  • GL Happy 1

ngl I really like the idea of the arrival of the moon orb being visible to everyone in the world as something characters could comment on, could even result in a map marker being made to encourage players to investigate

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • GL Happy 1