Something i realised about Walter Players

They are probably the best character steryotype. Most of them are really helpful and experienced. They help the base get going early game, and are great at mapping. They often give some of their pinetree hats since their skins are so great. Them having Woby makes them a potential ruins clearer too, so some Walters can bring home tons of ruins resources. They are also nomadic and versatile.

I love Walter players.

• Like 5

Funny how I also feel that there is a recognizable pattern of traits in many (not all) players that main a specific character.

I’m not talking about bad stuff like “willows buring bases” or the recent “woodie beaver smashing everything” but stuff more subtle like some willow mains being quite funny in their chat answers, some Wortox mains being somewhat careless and not taking the game very seriously, Wigfrid mains resolving everything through sheer violence, etc.

Of course it could just be a coincidence since there are all type of people behind the characters they play really. Maybe we pay attention the most to those that resemble some qualities of the character.

• Like 5
  • Health 1

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Funny how I also feel that there is a recognizable pattern of traits in many (not all) players that main a specific character

I think this has a pretty good grain of truth in it, but likely just that: a grain.

The thing is, different characters have different attractions, though you obviously know this. Wormwood for instance would only interest people who like having a hard downside. So generally players who like a harder time surviving are attracted to him. 

as you mentioned, wigfrid is a combat oriented character, the people who main her are probably more interested in combat than anything.

and players who have main that don’t provide any one benefit (like wilson) are more likely to be extremely experienced and therefore more chill overall.

but obviously this is more tendencies than hard rules. People who are inexperienced like wendy because abigail can handle minor fights, but wendy being noob friendly doesn’t make someone who plays her a noob, she’s difficult for hard boss fights. Keeping abigail alive can be a challenge, and without her wendy is just wes with extra health.

• Like 2

I've noticed trends with most characters. Some of them like Webber/Wurt being aggressive and Woodie/Warly being friendly are nearly universally true while others like Willow being awesome in the chat are varying amounts of common. 

Wilson: Wildcard

Willow: Being awesome in the chat

Wolfgang: In over his head

Wendy: New player

WX: In over his head

Wickerbottom: Helpful

Woodie: Friendly

Wes: Wildcard

Maxwell: In over his head

Wigfrid: Singleminded (On murder!)

Webber: Going to get EXTREMELY mad in about 5 minutes

Winona: Wildcard

Warly: Friendly

Wortox: Silly

Wormwood: Wants to help

Wurt: Going to get EXTREMELY mad in about 5 minutes

Walter: Friendly

Wanda: In over her head

12 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

The thing is, different characters have different attractions, though you obviously know this. Wormwood for instance would only interest people who like having a hard downside. So generally players who like a harder time surviving are attracted to him. 

Most of the Wormwoods I've seen on public servers have not been good at the game or want a challenge, and shy away from combat because it's too difficult for them. They usually just want to help people, and focus on farming. Wormwoods avoiding combat is so common that several times I've gotten reactions like "WHAT?!?!?!?!?! AS WORMWOOD??????????????????" when I go do dangerous stuff as him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Wormwoods avoiding combat is so common that several times I've gotten reactions like "WHAT?!?!?!?!?! AS WORMWOOD??????????????????" when I go do dangerous stuff as him

most people think that bat bat is bad and probably don't know that he has more than tanking using bramble husk after skill tree

Edited by grm9

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

I've noticed trends with most characters. Some of them like Webber/Wurt being aggressive and Woodie/Warly being friendly are nearly universally true while others like Willow being awesome in the chat are varying amounts of common. 

Wilson: Wildcard

Willow: Being awesome in the chat

Wolfgang: In over his head

Wendy: New player

WX: In over his head

Wickerbottom: Helpful

Woodie: Friendly

Wes: Wildcard

Maxwell: In over his head

Wigfrid: Singleminded (On murder!)

Webber: Going to get EXTREMELY mad in about 5 minutes

Winona: Wildcard

Warly: Friendly

Wortox: Silly

Wormwood: Wants to help

Wurt: Going to get EXTREMELY mad in about 5 minutes

Walter: Friendly

Wanda: In over her head

Most of the Wormwoods I've seen on public servers have not been good at the game or want a challenge, and shy away from combat because it's too difficult for them. They usually just want to help people, and focus on farming. Wormwoods avoiding combat is so common that several times I've gotten reactions like "WHAT?!?!?!?!?! AS WORMWOOD??????????????????" when I go do dangerous stuff as him.

Add wormwood to the gets extremely mad list too lol.

Also i think most Webber mains are actually children (Most appealing) so it is probably why they get mad.

Wurt is weird, most people i see play her got no idea what they are doing and are just funny to watch.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Its funny the characters you list as “overwhelmed” are often recommended by YouTubers because they’re “OP”, so its possibly a false confidence thing.

and yeah you’re more accurate about wormwoods, most are just friendly little guys

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Add wormwood to the gets extremely mad list too lol.

Also i think most Webber mains are actually children (Most appealing) so it is probably why they get mad.

Wurt is weird, most people i see play her got no idea what they are doing and are just funny to watch.

I wonder what it is about Webber and to a lesser extent Wurt that makes them so appealing to children. Is it because the characters are children so they find it relatable? 

36 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

Its funny the characters you list as “overwhelmed” are often recommended by YouTubers because they’re “OP”, so its possibly a false confidence thing.

and yeah you’re more accurate about wormwoods, most are just friendly little guys

I think YouTubers & other similar sources are 100% the reason why those characters are so often in over their head. Whenever I see someone talking about how they're going to / currently doing the ruins I hit tab and it's almost always one of those characters, then later they usually end up dying and will probably either disconnect or ask for a rollback. Whenever someone goes into the ruins quietly without constantly talking about it they usually do just fine, since for them it isn't a huge deal, but the people who feel the need to brag about it do so because the ruins are very hard for them. The people silently doing the ruins don't seem to have any bias towards particular characters.

Also, ever since Woodie's skill tree, he has sort of become one of the characters who get in over their heads. Before his skill tree he was almost always just a friendly and polite guy, but now it's like a 70/30 chance that he's friendly or in over his head. I think it's because the moose got a punching combo attack and the removal of penalties for eating idols, so he's easier to play and a more attractive option to those players.

25 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Is it because the characters are children so they find it relatable?

monster character, not like others or something, probably about being uniquely hated by pigs with own allies or something of that sort

25 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

someone talking about how they're going to / currently doing the ruins

on what servers are you playing, out of curiosity? I don't remember last time i've seen that except when people are asking others to tell them if they have spare living logs

1 hour ago, Copyafriend said:

possibly a false confidence thing

there are also people that are having issues when playing as other characters and people that have limited time and want to reach something before having to go in case of servers that are likely to get regened by the time they'll come back

Edited by grm9

34 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

wonder what it is about Webber and to a lesser extent Wurt that makes them so appealing to children. Is it because the characters are children so they find it relatable? 

Its spider man.

The rest of the free characters are just normal people (except from wx)

A character who can befriend spiders is super appealing to children. I speak from my own experience too when i was a child playing dst, the rest of the characters looked "boring and basic" while we had a character who was a spider.