Lag/Latency Reduction: Online vs Offline and Caves vs No Caves

From my guess, from most to least in terms of lag and latency:

Online with Caves -> Offline with Caves = Online without Caves -> Offline without Caves

Am I correct, or is there something I don't understand?

• Like 1

Online/Offline represents whether you have connection to Klei server. Klei server don't do much other than skin purchasing and searching servers.

It is your computer who acts as the game server. Even if you play alone/local, the game still forces your computer to sustain the server. So data streams is going to be sent from your computer(the client) and to your computer(the server), this creates lags.

The forest and the caves are 2 separate servers, this means a world with both caves and forest brings to the server more computing pressures than worlds with only the forest, hence the more lags.

Online or not doesn't have any effect on in-game lags.

Edited by Fufuji
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, nimzowitsch10 said:

i find if i host a world it lags the most even offline, if i play on a  dedicated server with a stable connection i get the best performance

Might be because your computet can handle hosting so, when you join a game hosted by other machine, your computer can handle running just the game

Knowing the specs of your computer would give more information about your problem

Even If you're not on PC, Playing solo offline doesn't matter. As explained by Fufuji.

I personally think it's stupid. If i were to be on a place without internet i can't play the game, and If i'm playing with it, solo, offline, i still have lag. Hope they fix that this year, but i guess it's not easy, as it's related to game code.

Joining someone else's server has the best performance since you aren't running a server, although there will inevitably be some lag just due to the physical distance. As long as the server isn't too far from you said lag should be unnoticeable.

The second best performance is hosting a client server without caves enabled, or with that one mod that makes it so that you can't play with other people but you're only hosting one server at a time since it shuts down the shard you aren't on.

The worst performance is hosting a client server with caves enabled and without that mod, since you are now hosting two servers.

Whether the server is set to online or offline does not matter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Joining someone else's server has the best performance since you aren't running a server, although there will inevitably be some lag just due to the physical distance. As long as the server isn't too far from you said lag should be unnoticeable.

The second best performance is hosting a client server without caves enabled, or with that one mod that makes it so that you can't play with other people but you're only hosting one server at a time since it shuts down the shard you aren't on

wrong if you're talking about specifically latency and input delay, there's no delay when there's 1 shard and you're the host, so it's best to play on own server with 1 launched shard

• Like 1