Jump to content

Direct Question to Klei


Recommended Posts

Does Don't Starve Together have an end of life plan?

With the rising change in the gaming climate of always online life support does Klei have any intention of supporting DST to continue on after they can no longer afford to maintain servers for both gameplay and cosmetics? Or if Klei should be picked up and possibly shut down by a larger entity or have to close in some way?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2024 at 2:41 PM, Wander89 said:

I hope it never ends!

It's both naive and incredibly ambitious to assume it will, even if Klei doesn't ever plan to close DST at some point they will, Klei may just cease to exist one day, or a bigger company will buy them up and shut down DST development and server hosting.

The act of hosting and sharing servers is not rocket science but the reason for server hosting/browsing networks is to ease the process of hosting larger scale servers as well as a tiny bit of extra security as direct IP sharing can be dangerous if you're not sharing it with trusted individuals over a secure line of communication, stuff like Hamachi or other server network software just automate the process of hosting and finding but also opens your servers up to random joiners who might grief the game, DST is a small enough game peer to peer play is not a foolish way to handle it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2024 at 2:19 PM, Gotheran said:

With the rising change in the gaming climate of always online life support

what

On 2/13/2024 at 6:36 PM, Gotheran said:

It's both naive and incredibly ambitious to assume it will, even if Klei doesn't ever plan to close DST at some point they will, Klei may just cease to exist one day, or a bigger company will buy them up and shut down DST development and server hosting.

So how would they possibly have an "end of life plan" for the event that they are abruptly bought out and forced to shut down the servers? Why would a company ever even buy them out and say "Alright guys, you need to shut down the #1 most profitable thing you have going by far. We're getting rid of that, ASAP. You need to immediately terminate everything, and make people no longer trust you because you deleted the items of millions of players, so that we can now use this untrusted company with no active IPs for unknown mysterious reasons. Oh, yeah, by the way, of course we're going to give you all the time in the world to enact your end of life plan for the game. Feel free, take as long as you need."?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

what

So how would they possibly have an "end of life plan" for the event that they are abruptly bought out and forced to shut down the servers? Why would a company ever even buy them out and say "Alright guys, you need to shut down the #1 most profitable thing you have going by far. We're getting rid of that, ASAP. You need to immediately terminate everything, and make people no longer trust you because you deleted the items of millions of players, so that we can now use this untrusted company with no active IPs for unknown mysterious reasons. Oh, yeah, by the way, of course we're going to give you all the time in the world to enact your end of life plan for the game. Feel free, take as long as you need."?

From the perspective of a buyer it makes sense to purchase an IP and claim the copyright if it's successful and you get a good deal. It may be more lucrative in the long run to halt the game, keep the franchise on the bench for a few years, stir up appeal for the IP again and then release something that's cheap, simple and is easy to consume. If the IP takes off again you can start looking at how to milk it and maintain engagement, bleed it for all it's worth, then bench it again and rely on merch. If it never takes off, chalk it up to a risky investment and release peripheral content that utilises the IP whilst you look for your next cash-cow :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2024 at 5:19 PM, Gotheran said:

Does Don't Starve Together have an end of life plan?

With the rising change in the gaming climate of always online life support does Klei have any intention of supporting DST to continue on after they can no longer afford to maintain servers for both gameplay and cosmetics? Or if Klei should be picked up and possibly shut down by a larger entity or have to close in some way?


It's Klei's most important game.

I only see the end of the game if Klei disappears from the market or if it manages to do something that replaces the game solidly.


 

Captura de tela 2024-02-20 152022.png

Edited by Cruvimaster
  • Like 5
  • Big Ups 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Developer

It's all designed to be very cheap to run and to be able to degrade gracefully if necessary. DST dedicated servers are the most expensive but the community can already run their own instead of using the Klei Official ones. The skins servers are quite reasonable to operate and if we ever decided they weren't worth the effort we could just release an update that moved it all client side. The login servers validate your identity - without them you'd have to play in offline mode but they're also VERY cheap to keep going and used for all our games, not just DST.

  • Like 34
  • Thanks 4
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
  • Create New...