Make up some mobs with me

I don't know how to start forum games so this is a shot in the dark for me, but this is the concept- many DS mobs and bosses are a mix of two or more animals.

Hop on a random animal generator of your choice (like this one), say what you've got and describe it's looks, drops and mechanics. If you want to you can draw it, quality doesn't matter. The in-game role and abilities don't need to make sense and don't worry about balance- just have fun with it.

Chipmunk and Grizzly bear- Grizzly Munk, a pretty small mob that hangs out around deciduous trees (which it scratches as an idle animation) and saplings. Will travel to ponds to fish, and steal any seeds nearby. Generally skittish (like rabbits) but gets aggressive if disturbed from it's sleep in Winter. Drops a morsel and a generic seed/birchnut when killed. Cannot be caught in traps.

It would be mostly brown with some bright stripes.

Screenshots_2024-02-04-23-40-57.png.8330af7570546727281d5c7b5f8fcd66.png

(Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BezKa said:

I don't know how to start forum games so this is a shot in the dark for me, but this is the concept- many DS mobs and bosses are a mix of two or more animals.

Hop on a random animal generator of your choice (like this one), say what you've got and describe it's looks, drops and mechanics. If you want to you can draw it, quality doesn't matter. The in-game role and abilities don't need to make sense and don't worry about balance- just have fun with it.

Chipmunk and Grizzly bear- Grizzly Munk, a pretty small mob that hangs out around deciduous trees (which it scratches as an idle animation) and saplings. Will travel to ponds to fish, and steal any seeds nearby. Generally skittish (like rabbits) but gets aggressive if disturbed from it's sleep in Winter. Drops a morsel and a generic seed/birchnut when killed. Cannot be caught in traps.

It would be mostly brown with some bright stripes.

Screenshots_2024-02-04-23-40-57.png.8330af7570546727281d5c7b5f8fcd66.png

(Sorry if this is in the wrong subforum)

Looks like a skunk... a lot. I guess skunks are grizzly chipmunks. 

• Haha 1

Dusting off some old ideas that probably don't exist or are in archived topics by now.
Wooly Bully - Beefalo variant that acts like its in permanent heat? Drops more fur when shorn or killed? Could spawn seasonally in winter similar to no-eyed deer.

Mammoth Beetle - Cave hunt creature, passive and ignores the player but strong damage, drops maybe a tusk and chitin for crafting along with some meat? Possibly tamable and rideable as a much more combat oriented mount but without as much speed or ease of handling that comes with a beefalo

Newer ideas i haven't yet posted anywhere (i dont think)
New tree variant with a unique "guard" form.
Yew Trees - resource variety variant of pine trees, take longer to grow to full and stay at full stage longer than most other trees, drop more wood than an average tree but take more hits to fell, seeds are damaging edibles can be fed to veggie eaters with a fairly short shelf life (compared to birchnuts). Stumps left behind can't be uprooted and must be burned.

Icy Yews - Yew "treeguard" vaiant. Only spawn in winter (can spawn on their own without player interaction). When not aggro'd to something they "look" around turning each compass direction with a 20 degree viewcone, will aggro if a player enters their vision, (fairly hard to recognize till they aggro) Throw moderatly damaging icicles that also impart freezing on targets. Close range melee swipe with slow cooldown (similar to treeguards). Damaged by "hacking" it like birchguards. After enough damage is done the mob transitions to a second phase where it now crawls on the ground, still using most of the same tactics as before but is now mobile. New leap attack, crosses a good distance to catch up with players. On death drops the usual tree guard loot but slightly more living logs than regular treeguards. Guard stumps remain behind and bite players who return to it (fire as before is the only option)

• Like 5
  • Spooky 1

11 hours ago, Riddla said:

snip

I especially love the lava turtel!

7 hours ago, Gotheran said:

New tree variant with a unique "guard" form.

That whole idea sounds awesome, ngl, I like the undiggable stumps. And I'm always up for more threats in Winter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BezKa said:

That whole idea sounds awesome, ngl, I like the undiggable stumps. And I'm always up for more threats in Winter

i quickly looked up what actual yew trees are like, they are quite big and grow to very old ages hence the extra wood and longer growth timers, the leaves are known to be toxic and I imagine the fruits they produce as seedlings also are hence the poison berries, and their trunks are notably gnarly underground and harder to remove than alot of other trees hence burning the stumps instead of shoveling and why the boss version doesn't stand up. There's also plenty of folklore and mythology surrounding yew trees that could make good character dialogue and mostly I wanted to make the "i see you" pun for the tree guard variant which lent to the idea that they are sleeper sentries in winter aggroing only when they see you.

• Like 1

Capybara and Mare (the image was a horse): Kepymaras    (threw kelp in the mix too. Can not think of a good pun.)

They live in the ocean by those kelp setpieces (the ones with lots of kelp). They are often covered in some kelp. They eat kelp.  They are rather small, the player can not ride them. However, they can be fed kelp and be tamed. Once tamed, they can pull your boat like a sleigh using kelp-ropes (you wont need a craft for this, they go underwater to get the rope). You control them by rowing in the direction you want to go, and they will continiously move in that direction.

They are able to mine any sea stacks that get in their way, and you can make them faster by whipping them. The main downside to using them is how hard it is to do sharp turns, but them being able to stop in their tracks to mine seastacks makes them a good option for sailing your boat with fair upsides and downsides.

Their final use is being able to renew kelp stalks. They will dive underwater in shallow waters occasionally to spawn a new bullkelp stalk if there is not too many nearby.

Stats and drops: 250hp. 2 meat 3 kelp.  

Screenshot_20240205-170343_Ecosia.jpg.0bfa8f56e897b64ad2463e4bc83f1cbf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Health 1

1 minute ago, BalkanCockroach said:

This isn't a combination but imagine an actual clownfish that jumps on your boat and sprays you with water so you become wet and miserable. Wx arch nemesis.

actually it'd be funny if hounds shook themselves off after leaving water and if players were nearby they got splashed

• Like 2
  • Sanity 1

image.png.71c207ef8aee8fbec53e56f9d8294648.png

Cat and Octopus - Octopuss

These are neutral mobs that randomly spawn in the ocean

They won't attack unprovoked, but will use their tentacles to throw loose items off the boat into the water (similar to a cat throwing something off the table)

Once killed, drop meat and the "Tentacle Paw"  which can be used to grab distant items

• Like 4
  • Health 1

I have an idea for an echidna/porcupine mob that rolls around in the dfly desert, stopping to rummage through tumble weeds. It would eat any food/bugs it finds in them. The mob would normally be passive, unless you steal from its current tumbleweed or attack it (no mob mentality). Their attack would be AOE, and when killed it would drop needles which can be used like blowdarts but less damage.

Really just an environmental mob that's not meant to serve a greater purpose or mechanic. They'd probably just spawn from the tumble weed spawner.

Edited by EATZYOWAFFLEZ
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Sikers said:

My brain is arguing with me whether this image is cute but I can't look away from those eyes

44 minutes ago, Sikers said:

but will use their tentacles to throw loose items off the boat into the water

I can already imagine getting angry at them

29 minutes ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

stopping to rummage through tumble weeds

Gear finder! WX-78 new best friend!

2 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

clownfish that jumps on your boat

And it looks like Wes

• Like 2

19 hours ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

I have an idea for an echidna/porcupine mob that rolls around in the dfly desert, stopping to rummage through tumble weeds. It would eat any food/bugs it finds in them. The mob would normally be passive, unless you steal from its current tumbleweed or attack it (no mob mentality). Their attack would be AOE, and when killed it would drop needles which can be used like blowdarts but less damage.

Really just an environmental mob that's not meant to serve a greater purpose or mechanic. They'd probably just spawn from the tumble weed spawner.

This would be awesome to automate tumble weed farming 

20 hours ago, Sikers said:

Cat and Octopus - Octopuss

These are neutral mobs that randomly spawn in the ocean

They won't attack unprovoked, but will use their tentacles to throw loose items off the boat into the water (similar to a cat throwing something off the table)

Once killed, drop meat and the "Tentacle Paw"  which can be used to grab distant items

This is adorable and I want it 

• Like 2