New Forest Biome

Well, many have probably already asked for this, and many will probably ask for it. But I think a forest biome similar to Hamlet's would be a good idea to implement. I mean... I like the vibe that forests with tall trees give off. The rays of light passing between leaves, etc. Maybe new mobs, similar or new features like caves (except we're in a forest). And that's it. I hope no one tries to problematize what I said, and if anyone has an answer as to why we still don't have this type of biome, please comment below. thanks.

*Below is a image from Hamlet but it's just to illustrate*

images (3).jpeg

2 minutes ago, grm9 said:

the last time klei added a new biome to the surface in DST was probably back when they were porting RoG  

Do islands not count? 

Maybe it's lore reasons, how can you introduce a whole new biome in the mainland without it butchering the narrative?

1 minute ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Do islands not count?

Aside from Lunar, not really? the Moon Quay island is so small and insignificant that it isn't really a biome. Same goes with Pearl's island.

2 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Because hamlet is tropical, mainland (DST, DS, RoG) is not. I would like this too though. Peoples main arguement to porting or copying stuff is "That would incentivize people to not buy the DLCs"

There's already a million reasons why DST is a better buy than DS. The DLCS are an experience that happens once and that's it.

I know it's not the same but you could somewhat recreate those Hamlet forests by using the big trees from Waterlogged, plop out some red mushroom floor from the caves, then cover it with palmcone trees, monkeytails, and the leafy version of berry bushes. You could even include some ruins with the CotL brick flooring and some vanilla walls for pillars. 

For further Hamlet re-creation the meteor field with some mud flooring makes do. You just gotta tell yourself the tall birds are thunder birds. Then the pig village needs to be bigger and have streets...

New Biomes is something that's high on many propels wish lists, and yes there's a few from the DLCs that could be ported over to this. 

Heck something like the OPs forest could be combined with the waterlogged biome very easily and work out fine/thematically (hell another major complaint from people is the lack of things in the ocean to find explore so having a place to go/explore would be cool) 

4 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Because hamlet is tropical, mainland (DST, DS, RoG) is not. I would like this too though. Peoples main arguement to porting or copying stuff is "That would incentivize people to not buy the DLCs"

If that’s their main argument might I introduce you to free mods?

Serious talk here: I paid for both Shipwrecked & Hamlet, & it’s a little heartbreaking that they aren’t useable in Multiplayer.

Now before you say “DST isn’t DS” well…. Technically that isn’t true- DST is actually advertised and sold as an Multiplayer Expansion to DS.

Its not a Sequel, it’s not it’s own game- It’s advertised & sold as a standalone “Expansion” meaning- That you don’t need to Own DS to play it.

However- For players who DO Own the DLCs (not including DST) they can enable DLC Contents & Compatibility with the Single player game.

(SW/Ham/RoG)

If you look on the Xbox Store for add ins for DST it even shows Shipwrecked & Hamlet.. even though these are NOT Currently compatible with DST.

I predict that Klei has plans to eventually make them compatible, but it will obviously take some time to re-design single player expansions, for multiplayer. 

3 hours ago, ADM said:

I would rather have reworked forests and plenty subtle variations introduced before cluttering more biomes into the mainland personally.

Same here. I wouldn't mind a new mainland tree if it was part of sprucing up a biome.

2 hours ago, Kwaik said:

New Biomes is something that's high on many propels wish lists, and yes there's a few from the DLCs that could be ported over to this. 

Heck something like the OPs forest could be combined with the waterlogged biome very easily and work out fine/thematically (hell another major complaint from people is the lack of things in the ocean to find explore so having a place to go/explore would be cool) 

Speaking or waterlogged, they should be bigger.

I think there is room for expansion by reworking redundancies.  They already did this with giving us 2 distinct deserts, one with an oasis the other with dfly and tumble weeds.  I don't think they need the total ground up rework, but at least more purpose to exist.  We have the forest with the moonstone which is great, but what about the other?  It has mandrakes and beefs, but I think it could do better.

idk about the overhanging trees though.  I don't like how much of the screen the canopy covers.  I wish there were an option to remove it in game settings.

10 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Do islands not count? 

Maybe it's lore reasons, how can you introduce a whole new biome in the mainland without it butchering the narrative?

Who cares? The narrative is already a mess and we all can act as it was there since forever

1 hour ago, Theukon-dos said:

Once again, the Children prove that they yearn for Uncompromising Mode.

Not at all

10 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

the same way you can add boats only after 6 years despite water existing from the start or put new bosses like bee queen into existing biomes, atrium is ancient but was only added at the end of ANR and ruins were one of the last DS updates iirc 

I don't know about tropical forests, they would look strange in winter. However, I think the mandrake forest could be reworked into some sort of whimsical fantasy biome, and the mandrakes themselves could be more difficult to obtain, requiring a fight with a mini-boss or solving some puzzles, considering how they're quite valuable and limited early game.

1 hour ago, ThymeSpirit said:

I don't know about tropical forests, they would look strange in winter. However, I think the mandrake forest could be reworked into some sort of whimsical fantasy biome, and the mandrakes themselves could be more difficult to obtain, requiring a fight with a mini-boss or solving some puzzles, considering how they're quite valuable and limited early game.

Maybe elder mandrake village? Getting jumped by some elder mandrakes would be fun. Maybe a big elder mandrake boss? 

They would need to nerf their droos though.

Archived