Suggested Tweaks to the Battle Saddle

I consider myself something of a Beefalo fanatic, often going out of my way to rush tame one in every world I make. I have been very excitedly waiting for new saddles and while the Battle Saddle looks super cool, it feels lacking. So first of all, the 20% speed boost is a really awkward number when we already have the war saddle at 25%. Both Saddles are made for combat, why not just have the speeds be consistent? But that’s just a nitpick.

I think the real issue is the battle saddle is outclassed by every other saddle, especially in combat where it’s intended to be used. Not to mention it being locked behind a season and 4 skill points, so you can’t argue cost effectiveness. The only situation where it shines above the other saddles is when you’re being too lazy to kite and just wanna tank a bunch of spiders or what not, which even then a war saddle kills small mobs faster and therefore mitigates more potential damage.

So how do we make the Battle Saddle stand out and have a use over the War and Glossamer Saddle? My suggestion is knockback reduction! Currently beefalo just straight up can’t be used against any boss made post Nightmare Werepig. They all have a knockback on their attacks which will dismount you, often leading to your beefalo getting obliterated. Having the Battle Saddle save you from dismounts on top of its armor would let Beefalo lovers like myself keep using our trusty steeds well into the end game. Please consider this change Klei, as the Battle Saddle is such a beautiful design and concept and I’d hate to see it be dead on arrival

6 minutes ago, Ohan said:

what are the full stats on the wig saddle again? 20% speed, 10 dmg and 40% armor or am I misremembering? 

Close, +5 damage not 10. 

Also it has an ability completely unlisted in the game that lets you remount when your beefalo is in combat. Actually super useful and can definitely save your cow’s life but there’s already ways to save it in those situations so it’s meh to me.

I think adding planar defence to the saddle is enough. This means your beefalo can act like a tank distraction allowing you to go behind an attack the likes of armoured bearger without the beefalo dying in 2secs.

In defence of the 20% speed. How much speed do you really need for combat? The answer is not alot since a beefalo is already fast enough. Yes this saddle is annoying for day to day travel but the lower speed actually makes remounting the beefalo after being knocked off much easier, i believe this is the intended effect when combined with the commanders helm.

As for the damage its fair when you also include the noble steed 3 +10 planar damage.

However I do believe the noble steed 3 should be +16 to make beefalos noticable stronger for wigfrid. She starts with an over 50 damage battle spear, her starting beefalo damage should also be atleast 50.

So an ornery Wigfrid beef with her saddle would have 20% speed, 55 dmg + 10 planar (65) and 40% armor. 

i think knockback immunity would be a huge deal and imo not fair to limit it to wig only considering theyre intentionally making new content anti-beef for everyone.

For only 5% less speed and 1 less damage a wig beef can get 40% armor without needing to RNG gamble for steel wool. Imo this is very nice. 

Just like the war saddle u can just keep it in ur inventory and ride on gloss and switch for big fights only. 

Wigfrid would have to go waaay out of her way to get healing food for a beef so the armor is a big deal i think for wigs who want to change up their gameplay for fun by doing beef combat.

4 hours ago, Ohan said:

So an ornery Wigfrid beef with her saddle would have 20% speed, 55 dmg + 10 planar (65) and 40% armor. 

i think knockback immunity would be a huge deal and imo not fair to limit it to wig only considering theyre intentionally making new content anti-beef for everyone.

For only 5% less speed and 1 less damage a wig beef can get 40% armor without needing to RNG gamble for steel wool. Imo this is very nice. 

Just like the war saddle u can just keep it in ur inventory and ride on gloss and switch for big fights only. 

Wigfrid would have to go waaay out of her way to get healing food for a beef so the armor is a big deal i think for wigs who want to change up their gameplay for fun by doing beef combat.

It *wouldnt* be exclusive to Wigfrid though. She can give the saddle to to anybody.

On 12/4/2023 at 3:53 AM, Gashzer said:

I think adding planar defence to the saddle is enough. This means your beefalo can act like a tank distraction allowing you to go behind an attack the likes of armoured bearger without the beefalo dying in 2secs.

In defence of the 20% speed. How much speed do you really need for combat? The answer is not alot since a beefalo is already fast enough. Yes this saddle is annoying for day to day travel but the lower speed actually makes remounting the beefalo after being knocked off much easier, i believe this is the intended effect when combined with the commanders helm.

As for the damage its fair when you also include the noble steed 3 +10 planar damage.

However I do believe the noble steed 3 should be +16 to make beefalos noticable stronger for wigfrid. She starts with an over 50 damage battle spear, her starting beefalo damage should also be atleast 50.

After sleeping on it for a while, I couldn’t agree more with some of these points. Having that 50 damage is an important deficit and would definitely make beefalo more appealing of an option for Wigfrid. 

I still think the Battle Saddle needs some buffs but I suppose you’re right that there’s nothing wrong with the speed. The problem is unless your goal is mindless tanking there’s no reason for bring it over a war saddle. I know “haha Wigfrid tanks” but it’s not the gameplay I feel should be encouraged, especially when the long term investment of a domesticated beefalo is on the line. They don’t make meat effigies for cows as Jazzy says.

I still stand by my stance that knockback immunity is the way as it lets beefalo be waaaay safer for the post endgame bosses. But perhaps some planar defense would suffice too.

P.S. I’m curious if the +5 planar defense skill works on beefalo. There’s a weird inconsistency with some skills from other characters working while on a beefalo so I wouldn’t be surprised if it did, AND while small it would certainly help!

Archived