Lesser known Issue with Goat horn farming

It feels like the only way to farm goat horns is by setting up anenemie farms to automatically kill them since goat horn drop chances are so low (25% chance per goat). They are needed for a few very imortant things, some character exclusive like Wigfrid's spear.

The offered solution is drastically increasing the chance for goat horns when the goat is electrified. This makes this mechanic more intriguing, goat milk more useful, and offers another way to farm horns without making the off screen farms absolutely nuts or useless.

Hope Klei considers this little problem.

M

13 minutes ago, _zwb said:

The spear has infinite durability once you've upgraded it, you don't really need many goat horns

Mainly things like weather pains.

13 minutes ago, Gashzer said:

If you have walter on your team it makes hunting goats very easy. Otherwise one boomerrang allows you to kill 10...

On average, you get 2.5 goat horns from that. Electricity increasing the chances would be cool. Goats respawn somewhat slowly.

4 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

On average, you get 2.5 goat horns from that. Electricity increasing the chances would be cool. Goats respawn somewhat slowly.

Wellll with wigfrids new lightning spear you can use construction staff/amulet to dupe horns. Just switch to her dupe a whole load then swap back to whoever. 

I thought about this while playing Warly b/c he needs goat horns for his damage dish.  Anenemy farms are alright for what they do - farms are GOOD for the game.  Needing farms is not though.  I think upping the drop rate to 50% BUT doubling time to re-spawn goats is the better solution.  This leaves production from an anenemy farm the same, but ups the odds that you can visit the oasis to clear goats and come out with 1+ horns.

idk about electrifying goats increasing horn drop rate.  Its probably an alright idea but I think we shouldn't demand players electrify goats to get better horn rate.  It can be fixed both ways.

1 hour ago, Gashzer said:

Wellll with wigfrids new lightning spear you can use construction staff/amulet to dupe horns. Just switch to her dupe a whole load then swap back to whoever. 

If I have to do ruins then setting up volt goat farm is easier

26 minutes ago, Hollow soul 3 said:

The crafting station is usually pretty available. If the clock works give you too much trouble, you can bring rock lobsters, or drop some spiders or bees to steal agro

Eh, I think its more the green gem sink.  Lets run them side by side.

To set up lunar / anenemy goat farming you need:

5 purple gems (3 to load teleport platform, 2 for teleport staff)

the teleport platform (some living logs, not really a problem)

some walls and doors, a trip to lunar island, and a specific structure built with the goat.

Repeating the setup requires only a few walls / doors, and just 3 purple gems to refresh the platform.

Result - goat spawn is I think every day x 0.25 drop rate = 1 horn every 4 days.

To dupe horns with her spear crafting you need:

1 green gem for amulet, 5 charges

1 green gem for staff, 5 charges.

1 staff + 1 amulet = +5 horns.

Every 5 loops you have +1 green gem for an extra amulet that has been used for making the staff.

At 11 green gems you'll have 25 horns.

So if you can get 11 green gems each 100 days you can dedicated to duping horns you'll keep pace with a passive goat farm.

idk, I think its more worth as a way to get more horns quickly to burst dupe some - but I'd set up the passive farm still.

Why do you need so many wheater pains anyway? It's not like they are as necessary as silk or wood. They're like a little treat you may get from time to time in your little farm in the desert. The duping, done once, can essentially make you not need weather pains for a long time. It's already fine to obtain them from time to time, but you can still pretty much live 1000 days worlds without them, even as wigfrid since her weapon is repairable.

Unless you don't like the use of them to destroy things like rift crystals all the time then you're better just using the green gems for scaled chests or something else I think.

33 minutes ago, Swiyss said:

The duping, done once, can essentially make you not need weather pains for a long time

If you have the resources to afford duping goat horns, it is probably day 600 and you have an anenemy farm.

Besides, it would be nice since from experience getting goat horns is very annoying. It would make the goat lightning mechanic more interesting.

6 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

If you have the resources to afford duping goat horns, it is probably day 600 and you have an anenemy farm.

Besides, it would be nice since from experience getting goat horns is very annoying. It would make the goat lightning mechanic more interesting.

Ok, how about a 33% chance? 1/3, since there's 5 goats to kill per herd.

Does anyone interact with volt goats at all aside from setting up the anenemy farm? I don't. I roll up on my beefalo click my lazy forager on and collect 3 stacks of rot, 12 horns, and 5 stale meat, then I leave. Might as well make horns grow out of the ground at that point. An issue, though, is if there are multiple herds it can be almost impossible to tell if you're going to cull all members of one because for me they're usually right next to each other.

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

you don't need a telelocator at all for a volt goat anenemy farm, just trap the other volt goat in a corner of the oasis offscreen with some walls

1 hour ago, KvltBear said:

Does anyone interact with volt goats at all aside from setting up the anenemy farm?

I had a friend talk about how they made a fire based design for a pen of stacked herds (with a safety goat relocated for each one). Every now and then they would turn the fire on and kill ~50 goats in one go, which set them up with more than enough meat/horns for what they needed. It’s not nearly as hands free as the anenemy design, but as a novelty it does sound pretty neat.

3 hours ago, Shosuko said:

some walls and doors, a trip to lunar island, and a specific structure built with the goat.

Repeating the setup requires only a few walls / doors, and just 3 purple gems to refresh the platform.

Result - goat spawn is I think every day x 0.25 drop rate = 1 horn every 4 days.

isn't that too expensive?

the least you can spend on is a trip to lunar for an anenemy which a grass boat and oars can do, herd 1 goat to some corner in oasis biome that's far enough, block it with walls, kill the rest except 1 goat on the rest of the herd and setup your anenemy farm

an icestaff will make the process smoother at least, that'll be the most expensive item in the setup

3 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Eh, I think its more the green gem sink.  Lets run them side by side.

you don't need a telelocator to farm goats, you really only need a few stone walls and that's pretty much it

I mean sure you can do it cheaper, but I think that part is irrelevant - green gems is better for burst but no way would I not set up a goat farm.

I was just considering total resources, if you're racing then probably its important.

Archived