About Willow's spellcasting

Probably unpopular opinion but wouldn't make more sense if she casted her new powers from her lighter? working akin of the codex umbra.
Specially now that it can be refueled with embers.

If this was the case, crafting new lighters from scratch should probably create them at 0% durability and need ember refueling. 
Even more so, this could allow us to not have embers on the inventory at all, and once you "absorbed" embers they go straight to your lighter's durability. 

IDK, feels more intuitive and simple to me. It would also go in line with her short during the rework.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Probably unpopular opinion but wouldn't make more sense if she casted her new powers from her lighter?

It'd be mostly visual changes but I'd love it if she flicked her lighter around a bit instead of 'casting' fires! Or maybe throwing lit matches of the sorts.

Just now, ShadowDuelist said:

it appears on the shelf of the place she is trapped at

wow, never noticed this! thank you for sharing

16 minutes ago, -Variant said:

It'd be mostly visual changes but I'd love it if she flicked her lighter around a bit instead of 'casting' fires! Or maybe throwing lit matches of the sorts.

this is honestly pretty valid. i think it would also suit the open-ended nature of her powers--the other survivors watching her spit blue flames out of the thing going "is it really the lighter that's doing all of that?.."

I mean she was making random fires even without her lighter in vanilla, it has always been kind of hinted that she could manifest fires from thin air. It would be pretty big if she finally learnt to control it.

I also don't want them to remove the Biden Blast. I jumped out of my seat when I saw it.

4 hours ago, WONTow said:

I mean she was making random fires even without her lighter in vanilla, it has always been kind of hinted that she could manifest fires from thin air. It would be pretty big if she finally learnt to control it.

i always thought of it as a sort of grey area where you could just infer that she was doing something like sparking tinder or lighting matches from her pocket--i just assumed it didn't really make sense to animate back then. not saying you're wrong that klei could've been hinting towards her abilities in this update, i just think they left enough out to take it in either direction

i just wrote this to reply in other topic:

wont be it more annoying to access? having it in the embers allows you to quick access with numbers like max's codex but if they add it to the lighter will need to put the mouse over willow or over the hand inventory to access it that is also used to absorb fires

idk how they can add 3 actions to 1 item when this game is sadly also played with controller. It can be equiped, activated to suck fires and open the spell well

8 minutes ago, arubaro said:

i just wrote this to reply in other topic:

wont be it more annoying to access? having it in the embers allows you to quick access with numbers like max's codex but if they add it to the lighter will need to put the mouse over willow or over the hand inventory to access it that is also used to absorb fires

idk how they can add 3 actions to 1 item when this game is sadly also played with controller. It can be equiped, activated to suck fires and open the spell well

Thats a fair point.

Perhaps as long as you hold a lighter somewhere you’ll get another small icon that opens her powers, but I agree that it would be something unique and different to the current mechanics since using powers from the inventory already exists in two variants (Maxwell and Wortox).

The other option is having to have the lighter back to the inventory to use it to open the perk menu, but im not sure how a controller would then cook things on it.

Maybe the devs just made an entirely new resource to get out of this gameplay dilemma, other than making sense for the character. I just find it odd that she will now have her inventory full of this new thing and that what is basically a resource (like nightmare fuel or wood) opens a complex inventory as if it were a codex. 
In the end embers are not “souls” its gonna be something more similar to ashes.

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Thats a fair point.

Perhaps as long as you hold a lighter somewhere you’ll get another small icon that opens her powers, but I agree that it would be something unique and different to the current mechanics since using powers from the inventory already exists in two variants (Maxwell and Wortox).

The other option is having to have the lighter back to the inventory to use it to open the perk menu, but im not sure how a controller would then cook things on it.

Maybe the devs just made an entirely new resource to get out of this gameplay dilemma, other than making sense for the character. I just find it odd that she will now have her inventory full of this new thing and that what is basically a resource (like nightmare fuel or wood) opens a complex inventory as if it were a codex. 
In the end embers are not “souls” its gonna be something more similar to ashes.

my head canon is that she uses her pirokinetic powers to create big fires from embers. Like feeding an ember to create a bigger fire in a bbq but instead of the and fuel you "reanimate" the fire with psiquic powers Carrie style

Archived