Biobot idea is cool, but...

I really like the idea behind new biobot POI in beta. The game lacked some encouragement to risk exposure to the deadly germs to get some rewards. On top of that, it makes medicine skill branch more useful. But I don't feel that current reward in a form of biobot is encouraging enough, so here is the thread to discuss it.

The biobot costs steel. By the point when I'm having this resource, I'm also in possesion of atmo suits, making most of my map safe, so there is little benefit from a bot that can access hot/cold areas of the map. Even if swimming in magma might be cool, there is little the robot can do there, as he cannot dig harder tiles or do more complex operations. He looks like copy of DLC rover, but more expensive and more dangerous to create, with nothing to offset that...

I feel it should be improved a lot to encourage players risking it:

- He could be 1 tile in height so he could enter more areas than dupes
- He could be able to fly or hover above liquids, to enter even more areas dupes can't
- He could use ambient zombie spores to recharge it's batteries, allowing it to survive forever is the conditions are right (think of having a colony full of such robots)
- He could have some unique skills: Jorge triggers overjoyed reactions and that makes it good goal to pursue. Biobot could have something similar. Maybe bonus effect to all attributes as he injects dupes with some zombie spores serum?
- He could have some unique reactions, like cuddle pips to boost other dupes/critters
- Dupes with skill X could program the machine with X data so the bot could dowload it matrix-style and obtain those skills so he could perform more tasks

Those are just random ideas, anyone has anything more?

I too love the fact that there now a reason to risk Zombie Spore exposure, but yeah, the bot doesn't provide anything that is really needed right now. However, I think the main fault doesn't come from the bot per say (although it really need some changes so its not Rover V1.5), more-so the lack of dangerous environment. Like you said:

4 hours ago, pether said:

By the point when I'm having this resource, I'm also in possesion of atmo suits, making most of my map safe, so there is little benefit from a bot that can access hot/cold areas of the map.

There isn't much the asteroid can throw at us that a atmosuit cannot solve. Hot temperature? Suit. Very hot temperature? Vacuum and suit. Deadly germ? You guess it: suit.

A bit of a shameless plug for my old post thread, but I like the idea that suits would not be the absolute solution to germ. Unless you decontaminate them, they will contaminate the next dupe. However, this is where the new biobot could shine. Instead of sending a dupe in the germ rich environment, you would send the new bot and, with the addition off your suggestions that they would use ambient germs to recharge themself, we could make a closed system where we wouldn't need to send a dupe to its potential death.

Other idea along those line could be a new critter that HATE dupe (think pokeshell, but always angry), or adding gas pocket to the lava biome, so the ­>1000°C temperature would actually be problematic.

It's a cool idea. Mostly I see it as being useful for radioactive zones where I grow my gmo plants or suicide missions. But like you say, it's not the best solution for the effort. Needs to be rechargeable, harvest crops!, carry more, rescue dupes. Love the water and 1 tile idea.  (Added bonus if it uses transit tubez without power, self powered travel.)

Some brainstorming. upgrade other robots. Upgrades sweepy to hover so he can cross gaps and climb tiles. Improve the other rovers functionality.  Maybe dig harder dirt/ faster work speed. Special building buffs or tuning machines without refined ore.

Dumb idea. If it could travel with the rocket. MODES-transform into steel infrastructure buildings.  Water/gas pump, carbon skimmer, any utility building.  Lamp...lol.

I would really just be happy if the biobot could do a lot more jobs around the colony than it can now. I see immediate value in being able to throw essentially just power (to keep the germ pump going) and little tiny bits of steel at a machine and constantly have a few extra, mouthless duplicants at my disposal, but if the biobot is as limited as a regular rover, then it won't really be able to do much.

The "bio" part implies the thing is kinda alive. Why would it run out of power then? It needs to feed on something like a living being. Maybe make it suck out germs out of the surrounding air. It would mean it can recharge close to a few sporehids and would have an added bonus of clearing out germed areas.

15 minutes ago, Pproy said:

On a side note, environment like in the skewered asteroid, where there two uncapped gold volcano, can be where the biobot shine.

I must disagree...

Biobot won't be able to dig that abyssalite, nor construct anything important in there. Also, whatever he could do there, duplicants in atmosuits would just do better...

42 minutes ago, pether said:

I must disagree...

Biobot won't be able to dig that abyssalite, nor construct anything important in there. Also, whatever he could do there, duplicants in atmosuits would just do better...

Yeah, for some reason, it didn't sink in that they are actually just a bad copy of rover...

Anywho, I agree 100% they need to be changed then. I dont see any point for exposing my dupe to zombie spore just to get some lore :(

An idea that could also apply to some of the other story trait is would be the ability to build them wherever we want. Once said story trait is done, it could drop a blueprint so we can actually build it at more strategic area. Like the mini-pod, we could limit them to one per map.

The fact that the biobot production is stuck to where the story trait spawned limit its uses even more, to the point that rover is actually superior in every way (cheaper to build and can be deployed where we want).

8 hours ago, Pproy said:

An idea that could also apply to some of the other story trait is would be the ability to build them wherever we want. Once said story trait is done, it could drop a blueprint so we can actually build it at more strategic area. Like the mini-pod, we could limit them to one per map.

The fact that the biobot production is stuck to where the story trait spawned limit its uses even more, to the point that rover is actually superior in every way (cheaper to build and can be deployed where we want).

Yeah, sending up a steam rocket with a drone army works better. One rocket is built just to deploy workers for the colony.

Random idea I had, what if the biobot could absorb ambient germ in order to create a vaccine for dupe? We could send it to analyze a germ producing object and in return, would give the recipe to make a vaccine so our dupe is immune to said germs for x cycles? That way, we could even plant sporechids for decoration in a dupe room, for example.

Last idea, and its less about the biobot but more for the story trait itself, in my old thread, i suggested that we could have a new plant that produce plastic but also release a large amount of germs. Once we are done with the mini-quest, it could be neat to receive such reward in addition of the bot.

On 11/14/2023 at 2:21 PM, Pproy said:

Last idea, and its less about the biobot but more for the story trait itself, in my old thread, i suggested that we could have a new plant that produce plastic but also release a large amount of germs. Once we are done with the mini-quest, it could be neat to receive such reward in addition of the bot.

I imagine a plant that needs to be fed crude oil to grow and release zombie spores when fully grown. Plastic is a fair resource to get from it but we got 2 sources already. I wonder what else it could produce.

I don't think adding new critters/plants is a way to resolve the issue. I mean - it would be cool, but I'd hope Klei to upgrade biobot before the beta goes live and that means they don't have enough time to design and draw new animations for new critters.

After that, in future updates I would gladly hug any more updates to germ systems, including plants and critters and anything else, but that's far futre. Biobot is here now and it's sad and needs some love

WAIT!! 

He needs a mobile air purifier mode! For those little pockets of Po2 that find ways in you just cant get with stationary purifier. Maybe a small tank so he can "sweep" non oxygen. 

On 11/17/2023 at 5:31 AM, pether said:

I believe Klei decided not to update the biobot...

Don't worry guys, I'm working on a mod to allow him to clean the air from zombies to recharge itself :) ETA - this weekend

Breaths non-oxygen gases storing them. Cleans po2 into oxygen. 

A feature that could be interesting to add to biobots cpuld be the possibility to assign them to specific room. Personnaly, my vision for them would be that we would send them in enviroment that normaly we wouldn't want to touch with a 10 foot pole. I would hate if they would get distrated by a random rock elsewhere.

On 11/7/2023 at 9:07 AM, Pproy said:

its not "official" but i have been using https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3007505281
because honestly its too frustrating to find a map i like and i start to not want to play!

On 11/17/2023 at 11:31 AM, pether said:

I believe Klei decided not to update the biobot...

Don't worry guys, I'm working on a mod to allow him to clean the air from zombies to recharge itself :) ETA - this weekend

If anyone is interested in a mod, here it is: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3089113205

It allows Biobot to recharge by cleaning air from Zombie Spores and enables more chores for it to work on

There's sitll something wrong with the biobot: it can be swept and stored into the sweepy bay alongside what it is holding by a sweepy bot.

f5f75566d016092408ba3b2d920735fae6cd3477(1).jpg.d8943f3587e239da1b5cc8a14bd07d62.jpg

(Not my experience. This is found by another player. Those item "floating"is what the biobot was holding when been swept.)

Archived