A hardwood hat can protect players from lunar hail while stronger helms (e.g. pig helm, battle helm & brightshade helm) can't?

27 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

Because it's a hardhat the helmet people wear at a construction site

A piece of wood carved into shape of hardhat can protect you from debris meanwhile dread stone, arguably one of the hardest materials, cannot protect you. Yep, this must be game logic.

It's mostly a cute thing that was suggested by @-Variant . The Hardhad originally didn't protect from anything falling but he/she (idk sorry) suggested it protect from earthquake debris falling. It was a well like suggestion and was put into the game. Fast forward to current beta and Variant suggested the hardhat protect from hail too (likely because hail is just water rock rather than rock... rock. So it makes sense.) Umbellas work just fine to protect from hail.

2 hours ago, yvvt0379 said:

I just find it strange that a wood item can be strong enough to resist lunar hail, while helms made from stronger materials (like rocks, gold nuggets) cannot. 

The science of this is wood is softer than rocks and gold hence the extra "spongeyness" acts like a shock absorber granting better protection from impacts even if a battle helm is better against a hounds bite or a laser beam from a bishop. :wilson_goodjob:

1 hour ago, Evelo said:

It's mostly a cute thing that was suggested by @-Variant . The Hardhad originally didn't protect from anything falling but he/she (idk sorry)

I'm so happy to see the funny perk suggestion get millage, it makes me smile. Also, she! No fret!

The irony of something like Dreadstone not protecting from debris isn't lost on me, but it's more flavor than it is useful, with how obscure the hat is.
It's super fun, though! I love it a ton, and it hits the hardhat gimmick!

Hardwood hat protecting player from earthquake debris was one of the best suggestions in the Skilltree spotlight beta. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the hail one.

Mainly because, um, it doesn't make sense? 

I'm fine with other, stronger helmets not protecting you from earthquake debris. Yes, I know that lore wise it doesn't make sense that a wooden hat is stronger than a dreadstone armor but cmon, it's a fun reference that only effects really early game. Plus, it's a nice, alternative use for the hardwood hat.

But why the hail?

Only real and practical counter for the hail is the Umbralla. And it's great because currently, lunar side feels much stronger than shadow side. This makes players go for the lunar rifts first and deal with the hail. In the end this encourages players to go for the shadow rifts because the only real counter to hail is Umbralla.

And then there is the hardwood hat. Which can do the same thing that Umbralla does. Do I need to say more?

59 minutes ago, Evelo said:

(likely because hail is just water rock rather than rock... rock. So it makes sense.) 

Both the hail and normal earthquakes deal the same, 30 damage. Hail is literally a glass rain.

1 hour ago, Evelo said:

Umbellas work just fine to protect from hail.

Who would win?

• An Umbrella forged with the parts of one of the strongest shadow creatures of constant. Or
  •  Wood hat.

45 minutes ago, mkemal23 said:

But why the hail?

Only real and practical counter for the hail is the Umbralla.

I think it falls into enough of the same general category to hold suspension of belief. Falling glass isn't exactly impossible to come by in construction sites as well!

Whilst the Umbralla is a very major boon for avoiding hail, I would like to note that canopies and hiding under shade (trees, Monkey queen) also work just as well!

48 minutes ago, -Variant said:

I think it falls into enough of the same general category to hold suspension of belief. Falling glass isn't exactly impossible to come by in construction sites as well!

Whilst the Umbralla is a very major boon for avoiding hail, I would like to note that canopies and hiding under shade (trees, Monkey queen) also work just as well!

Ahh, I guess why not?. Considering that Umbralla is still the superior choice because of it's utility, I think I'm being way too harsh on Woodie and the hardwood hat. 

I do want to say that while the hardwood hat will protect a character from 100% of the hail’s damage, it will still take durability damage when it does block a piece of hail from hitting you, meaning it’s a neat, but only temporary solution. Other hats will still reduce the damage you take by an appropriate amount (EX: a log suit/football helmet will reduce the damage you take to 6).

Archived