Crystalleyzer should deter brightshades from infecting nearby plants.

The Crystalleyzer in it's current state is kinda useless. It's too expensive to be a realistic solution to wildfires, and being able to prevent withering of crops while nice on paper doesn't really matter since brightshades just infect those plants (not to mention that if it does just make the surrounding area act like winter, then technically the crops shouldn't even grow in the first place). By giving it a radius similar to lightning rods that deters brightshades from infecting transplanted plants, I could see the Crystalleyzer actually being a justifiable use of a spark ark. 

It'd also be nice if the Crystalleyzer didn't have the damaging cold aura around it. Why does an item this expensive have a drawback? Especially since in it's current state it's not even that useful of an item. I'd say just remove it, or at the very least make it take like 10 seconds to activate so you don't just lose health by trying to activate the thing.

If I make it like Scaled Furnace, but which just cools me down, then I will be upset. Why shouldn't it have downsides? Even the Crown of Enlightenment has its downsides.

It would be better if it completely simulated winter with all the pros and cons.

44 minutes ago, goatt said:

But wait, does it also halt plants' growth because it's a local winter?

(I like the idea, but not its thematic implication)

The rules of the Crystalleyzer are a bit weird methink but nope, plants that don't grow during winter can grow safely around it. So I guess it's supposed to be only the "pros" of cool climate. :)

With Brightshades being plant I like the idea and would even suggest making Winter a Brightshade-less season, really I just want one moment of the year where I can be at peace for sure. I don't want it to remove existing BS because some players keep them to avoid further to spawn in the same area but keeping them from appearing during a season would really allow me to catch my frosty-breath honestly. And hence making the Crystalleyzer repelling them more logical.

10 minutes ago, Sanitar said:

If I make it like Scaled Furnace, but which just cools me down, then I will be upset. Why shouldn't it have downsides? Even the Crown of Enlightenment has its downsides.

It would be better if it completely simulated winter with all the pros and cons.

More like rules you need to follow in order to get maximum effectiveness out of the item. And besides, forcing you to take damage just for trying to set up the damn thing is NOT a well designed downside. Trying to justify this is like trying to justify to your lamborghini cutting you with a knife whenever you start up the car.

Now, if the item didn't require a full deerclops eyeball and a spark ark, maybe I could see the cold thing being valid (still terribly implemented, there should at least be a warning period before you take damage).

Archived