Please add a way to track the growth of the rifts since they spawn

Since the rift is open gastalts come out of it to infest the world with brightshades, this means that even if we kill the mutated mobs after the rift shows up in the map brightshades will already have spawn, and i think we should be able to cancel all brightshade spawnings wthout having to be constantly running in circles between all the byomes

Not only this but been able to know where and when a rift stars since it´s spawns will come very handy to farm the pure brilliance, as well as knowing if the shadow trio will spawn downstairs or if acid rain/hail is currently posible to happen.

I think giving the thulecite amulet the posibility to track down shadow rifts will be a nice way to buff the item, as well as giving the astrogels the same ability but for lunnar rifts, will give the item some use after the player gets the dessert hat or the brightshade helmet. Or maybe make it so astral detectors can show us the direction for a lunnar rift.

A bit unrelated but in the line of giving us items to track points of interest in the map, it will be great if the thulecite amulet showed the position of the misterious amrble pieces as well as the tentapillar that goes to the atrium.

Thanks for reading, really excited to continue to see the development of the beta.

On 10/8/2023 at 12:04 PM, goatt said:

We have several meters that don't have useful functionality, such as the moon phase meter, the rain meter, and the thermometer.

But a rift meter will be very useful.

Wait hang on I'll let you slander the Rain Meter and Thermometer but the Moon Dial???? Moon Dials are dope. You know when to hit up your Werepig Farm, when you can use the Moon Rock Altar or simply when you won't need light for a night. Also helps plan out the Shadow Pieces Bosses. 

On 10/7/2023 at 10:39 PM, Malfario said:

maybe make it so astral detectors can show us the direction for a lunnar rift

Maybe add a new craftable item in the brightsmithy/shadow plinth that uses

• astral detector/thulecite medallion and
  • pure brilliance/pure horror 

to help locate the rifts. Either pointing the general directionlike normal astral detectoror showing it in the map like the ancient key

7 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Moon Dials are dope. You know when to hit up your Werepig Farm

In a regular moon schedule, the full moon is too easy to foresee.

In an irregular moon schedule, the moon dial doesn't forecast the moon phase until the last day, or less than 8 minutes. Basically, it tells you the moon phase for the same day, and you have to be there to know the forecast. In practice, it's very inconvenient to use, especially for someone like me who runs errands 24/7. It's nearly as useful as rain meters, to be honest. Most of the time, people know about moon phase not because of the moon dial, but because of something else.

6 hours ago, n.apollyon said:

Maybe add a new craftable item in the brightsmithy/shadow plinth that uses

I'm thinking, maybe this could be a craftable dropped by lunar version of raid bosses.

On 10/12/2023 at 3:39 AM, goatt said:

In a regular moon schedule, the full moon is too easy to foresee.

In an irregular moon schedule, the moon dial doesn't forecast the moon phase until the last day, or less than 8 minutes. Basically, it tells you the moon phase for the same day, and you have to be there to know the forecast. In practice, it's very inconvenient to use, especially for someone like me who runs errands 24/7. It's nearly as useful as rain meters, to be honest. Most of the time, people know about moon phase not because of the moon dial, but because of something else.

Look we don't all have the concentration or brain power to take notice of the moon cycle while doing everything else in the game :lol:

I rely on them a decent amount plus they make really good decor. Also extra moon shards from moonstorm etc. 

I reckon more people utilise the moon dial than you think to be honest. 

Obviously depends on the individual player but I think it's miles above the usefulness of the temperature or rain structures and helps far more players than those do.

7 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

I reckon more people utilise the moon dial than you think to be honest. 

I just looked it up. The total sales number is 14.5 million copies. The number of subscribers to the combined status mod is 7.1 million.

The mod has a moon phase indicator that also predicts irregular moon phases

(I've linked my source)

Of the 14.5 players, lots of them didn't play long enough to get to the late game and I assume they don't care about moon phases.

But still, 7.1m/ 14.5m is almost 50%. The majority of the players (my guess is 80-90%) will find moon phases because they can see it on the mod which provides a great QoL for the game.

My second point.

day 11,31,51,71 is full moon, day 1,21,41,61 is new moon. The regular schedule is extremely easy to remember. Just 10 days apart plus 1. Little brain power is needed. The irregular moon phase works the same. Just remember the first irregular full moon and the following ones are 10 days apart.

If you have the time and energy to walk to the moon dials which only give a vague and near forecast, you must also have time to do the simple math shown above if the game is vanilla, or glance at the top right of the screen if the game has that mod. Moon Dials don't help with planning well enough.

Yes, moon dials work, but it's extremely inefficient and inconvenient that one will most likely choose not to rely on it.

38 minutes ago, goatt said:

I just looked it up. The total sales number is 14.5 million copies. The number of subscribers to the combined status mod is 7.1 million.

The mod has a moon phase indicator that also predicts irregular moon phases

(I've linked my source)

Of the 14.5 players, lots of them didn't play long enough to get to the late game and I assume they don't care about moon phases.

But still, 7.1m/ 14.5m is almost 50%. The majority of the players (my guess is 80-90%) will find moon phases because they can see it on the mod which provides a great QoL for the game.

My second point.

day 11,31,51,71 is full moon, day 1,21,41,61 is new moon. The regular schedule is extremely easy to remember. Just 10 days apart plus 1. Little brain power is needed. The irregular moon phase works the same. Just remember the first irregular full moon and the following ones are 10 days apart.

If you have the time and energy to walk to the moon dials which only give a vague and near forecast, you must also have time to do the simple math shown above if the game is vanilla, or glance at the top right of the screen if the game has that mod. Moon Dials don't help with planning well enough.

Yes, moon dials work, but it's extremely inefficient and inconvenient that one will most likely choose not to rely on it.

First off I'm on console so talk of mods is completely and utterly meaningless to me. 

Secondly I predominantly play late game worlds where I regularly turn on moonstorms and take out CC so there's no regular schedule, it gets changed all the time. Each and every time I defeat CC I don't make a note of the daycount so I can predict moon phases, I just glance at one of the many (doesn't take time and effort if its on my screen anyway) moondials I have near the heart/middle of each base and outpost that I have setup for decor/extra moon glass shards etc on top of helping show me where I am in the moon phase. 

So yeah for pc players sure mods make it obsolete but not for console players. Yeah if you don't ever change the moon schedule again it's fairly inefficient but if you do its handy. 

I use them for moon phases and they do their job perfectly.

11 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

I just glance at one of the many (doesn't take time and effort if its on my screen anyway) moondials I have near the heart/middle of each base and outpost ... they do their job perfectly.

I understand it works for you and you like it.

But for practical reasons, they are not perfect. It seems moon dials are very available to you. In order for it to work for other players to a similar level of efficiency, other players also have to set up lots of moon dials, which requires them to purposefully look for materials and walk to multiple possible locations to set them up. It seems to be wildly inconvenient to make such a small piece of information more accessible.

I have no intention to criticize your play style (because I never had a chance to play on a console, and I think the game should be enjoyed with freedom). But that doesn't mean the moon dials itself has enough QoL.

image.thumb.png.3d9d879567009f2ff07750965d20d4fb.png

But here is a tip to record time. You have 15 inventory slots. I usually use 5 inventory slots for exclusive armor or food. So I have 10 slots for freely arranged items. Choose an item as a marker, and place it in one of those 10 slots.

Placed in the 1st slot => full/new moon is on day 10*x + 1

Placed in the 2nd slot => full/new moon is on day 10*x + 2

Placed in the 3rd slot => full/new moon is on day 10*x + 3

etc...

This way you don't have to remember the days yourself. The marker item can be any item of your choice. I imagine cut grass is great.

But this is not enough, and you will still want to distinguish between new moon and full moon, choose another 2 slots to indicate whether marker is for full moon or new moon. In the demo above, the marker is twig.

Any 10 slots, + any 2 slots if necessary. No slots sacrificed because it doesn't require extra items.

All I wanted to do was to show moon dials are far from good despite being functional. I understand you appreciate it because it works for you and it looks pretty. 

1 hour ago, goatt said:

I understand it works for you and you like it.

But for practical reasons, they are not perfect. It seems moon dials are very available to you. In order for it to work for other players to a similar level of efficiency, other players also have to set up lots of moon dials, which requires them to purposefully look for materials and walk to multiple possible locations to set them up. It seems to be wildly inconvenient to make such a small piece of information more accessible.

I have no intention to criticize your play style (because I never had a chance to play on a console, and I think the game should be enjoyed with freedom). But that doesn't mean the moon dials itself has enough QoL.

image.thumb.png.3d9d879567009f2ff07750965d20d4fb.png

But here is a tip to record time. You have 15 inventory slots. I usually use 5 inventory slots for exclusive armor or food. So I have 10 slots for freely arranged items. Choose an item as a marker, and place it in one of those 10 slots.

Placed in the 1st slot => full/new moon is on day 10*x + 1

Placed in the 2nd slot => full/new moon is on day 10*x + 2

Placed in the 3rd slot => full/new moon is on day 10*x + 3

etc...

This way you don't have to remember the days yourself. The marker item can be any item of your choice. I imagine cut grass is great.

But this is not enough, and you will still want to distinguish between new moon and full moon, choose another 2 slots to indicate whether marker is for full moon or new moon. In the demo above, the marker is twig.

Any 10 slots, + any 2 slots if necessary. No slots sacrificed because it doesn't require extra items.

All I wanted to do was to show moon dials are far from good despite being functional. I understand you appreciate it because it works for you and it looks pretty. 

I think that klei should add a precise way to track the moon cicle just so you don't keep torturing yourself like this.

This gave me a headache!

Archived