Looking for a sour gas boiler that runs hot

Somewhere I heard that some sour gas boilers can run hot and I'm working on a polluted water purification build that eats heat. Even after chilling all 75 natural gas generators and misc equipment I have about 1,500 kDTUs of cooling power (almost 2 turbines).

What's a good 10kg/sec sour gas boiler that needs external cooling to operate? I do not want to rely on the pWater purifier to condense the sour gas, instead I want a build that just needs an extra turbine or two to keep the boiler from overheating.

1 hour ago, Occam Blazer said:

A 10kg/sec sour gas boiler that generates more heat than necessary to boil crude oil into sour gas.

Sour gas boilers are almost all made on a heat positive process (caveat: if you add boiling naphtha into the process then that particular step is heat negative). I've seen builders having to tone down efficiencies to actually not deal with the surplus heat (Francis John explained that particular issue in a miniature SG boiler he did on a mini base series, for example). That said, SG boilers are a kind of personal project that test your own knowledge on the subject and custom requirements will push that bar even further into the specialization.

I can only recommend testing any SG boiler and making your way into building your own that satisfies said requirements.

On 10/3/2023 at 5:14 PM, JRup said:

Sour gas boilers are almost all made on a heat positive process

Yeah, I realized that when I looked at the material conversions and saw each resultant product had a higher SHC than it's predecessor. (crude - 1.69, petrol - 1.76, sg - 1.898)

On 10/4/2023 at 6:58 PM, nakomaru said:

but here's a good place to start

Thanks. I designed a monstrous 85x30 tile boiler that looks a little like mathmanican's. Already started building it in prod survival, but if I do one again I'll look at theirs for reducing the size.

---

Sour gas boilers never really tickled my fancy, but I started using gulp fish to filter polluted water and - wow - do they have a ton of cooling power. And to have enough to feed my colony I have a lot of floating about being thirsty. Soooo, I thought I'd build them something that produces a lot of polluted water. A line of petrol gens might be better, but I guess it's time I do the sour gas boiler thing and cross that off my bingo card.

Archived