POI's indicating arrows create a ridiculous situation

If you have never included a POI in the scrapbook, then when you approach that POI, a pointing arrow will appear pointing to it. Through this arrow, you can know the location of the POI from two to three screens away, making it very easy for the player to find it.

But once you've examined it, the arrow won't appear again. There will be no more arrows to help you find it. Therefore, checking the POI to include it in the illustration is a negative action, and if you want to get the most help, you shouldn't examine it.

This is slightly silly, as players should benefit from collect scrapbook, not punish.

Therefore, I recommend making this arrow only appear when the POI is actually in the player's field of view. Or change the way it works so that it doesn't appear until after the player has added it to the scrapbook to indicate the location of the POI.

Or just don't add those hands holding indicators that look like they're from a p2w mobile game? Or maybe make it like something similar to Wagstaff's spectoggles revealing hidden items?

This kind of "big arrow pointing at something" reminds me of Eets Munchies, where there are always some indicators pointing at the items you can interact with, even pass the tutorial level. Pretty sure DST's target audience is not some 5-years-old, and even 5yo isn't that brain-dead requiring constant guidance like that...

24 minutes ago, _zwb said:

Or just don't add those hands holding indicators that look like they're from a p2w mobile game? Or maybe make it like something similar to Wagstaff's spectoggles revealing hidden items?

This kind of "big arrow pointing at something" reminds me of Eets Munchies, where there are always some indicators pointing at the items you can interact with, even pass the tutorial level. Pretty sure DST's target audience is not some 5-years-old, and even 5yo isn't that brain-dead requiring constant guidance like that...

Changing it to Wagstaff spectoggles's question mark sounds genius ngl.

I think the question mark should still be shown if you cannot see it, but from a much smaller distance.

The Scrapbook page & pop-up you get from inspecting stuff was going to cut it honestly, that's great addition for in-game info but adding these markers that really just confirm that some curious looking thing is in fact curious achieves so little. I would rather have the book to elaborate on the player's own discoveries instead of hand-holding, design wise.

3 hours ago, Cassielu said:

If you have never included a POI in the scrapbook, then when you approach that POI, a pointing arrow will appear pointing to it. Through this arrow, you can know the location of the POI from two to three screens away, making it very easy for the player to find it.

But once you've examined it, the arrow won't appear again. There will be no more arrows to help you find it. Therefore, checking the POI to include it in the illustration is a negative action, and if you want to get the most help, you shouldn't examine it.

I was thinking the same thing.

I plan on keeping my scrapbook incomplete just so I get these markers, cause the range indicators on these are huge and incredibly helpful in trying to find small and easy to miss things, like the Suspicious Marble Pieces.

I recently had a run where I've missed the Suspicious Marble Piece in a teeny tiny part of the map I didn't explore.

Archived