We need more ways to deal with lunar hail / Woodie's Carved wooden hat should prevent the wearer from hail.

Now the lunar hails works like an earthquake, but on the surface this time. But unlike the earthquake, it gives you nothing valueable in return.(And this is why I hated wildfire and desease) Some infused moon shard should left on the ground for a seconds, like the hail in Shipwrecked DLC (Hurricane season). You can protect yourself from the hail by umbralla and Knobbly trees, but not everyone has Shadow flinth kit in their home after killing the celestial champion, and the trees can only be planted on the water, which means you can't apply on the trees if your base is farm from shore. Moreover the amount of falling crystals is a lot more than earthquakes underground and the damage is 1.5x.

We need an other way to protect ourselves from the lunar hail. I suggest introducing "Support Pillar Upgrade Kit", which lets you upgrade already constructed support pillars once more to protect you around the pillars from lunar hail, works simillar like Deck illuminater - Mast mechanic.

Also, if the Woodie's carved wooden hat protect the wearer from hail, it would be a nice little detail as the hail works simmilar to earthquakes.

P.S. I saw you can avoid the hail by standing under normal trees, nice.

Hazards that invade the player's safe space to inflict damage need to be more plentiful imo. The hail isn't that destructive anyways; if you have any animals you want to preserve then either don't go near them for a few minutes or use the umbralla if you really must. The point about not everyone having a shadow plinth kit is not an isssue in my opinion. It's like any other environmental hazard; if you're not prepared for it, it's your fault. Only difference between this and something like winter is that you have to manually activate it anyways, so it's even easier to be prepared for it beforehand.

I agree with your point about the hardhat though. It's a neat interaction and it already works with earthquakes anyway.

11 minutes ago, Q42 said:

Hazards that invade the player's safe space to inflict damage need to be more plentiful imo. The hail isn't that destructive anyways; if you have any animals you want to preserve then either don't go near them for a few minutes or use the umbralla if you really must. The point about not everyone having a shadow plinth kit is not an isssue in my opinion. It's like any other environmental hazard; if you're not prepared for it, it's your fault. Only difference between this and something like winter is that you have to manually activate it anyways, so it's even easier to be prepared for it beforehand.

I agree with your point about the hardhat though. It's a neat interaction and it already works with earthquakes anyway.

I agree, but I think there should be more way to protect ourselves from the hail. Currently there's only 2 specific way to avoid it, The seasonal hazards have multiple ways to fight it. At least the acid rain can be dealt with traditional rain gears and Fish cordon bleu. The lunar hail's not in current state.

14 minutes ago, Q42 said:

The hail isn't that destructive anyways; if you have any animals you want to preserve then either don't go near them for a few minutes or use the umbralla if you really must.

Wait so it does only effect an area around the player not the whole surface? 

Does anyone know how many tiles/screens it effects?

Also does it only kick in when you kill one of the new lunar bosses or can occur anytime that rifts are active?

I'd really like as much info as possible so I know how destructive it actually is against penned/pet mobs etc.

6 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Wait so it does only effect an area around the player not the whole surface? 

Does anyone know how many tiles/screens it effects?

Also does it only kick in when you kill one of the new lunar bosses or can occur anytime that rifts are active?

I'd really like as much info as possible so I know how destructive it actually is against penned/pet mobs etc.

The debris only spawn near the player in a radius of 15 turfs. It happens every 2 days and lasts for 1 min. As long as the Rift is present the hail can happen. The hail cannot damage walls, bosses, lunar aligned mobs, bee hives and hound mounds.

6 minutes ago, Fufuji said:

The debris only spawn near the player in a radius of 15 turfs. It happens every 2 days and lasts for 1 min. As long as the Rift is present the hail can happen. The hail cannot damage walls, bosses, lunar aligned mobs, bee hives and hound mounds.

Bleh 15 turfs/tiles is a fair bit and it sounds like it happens rather frequently.. definitely turning it off if it remains like this (unless it no longer damages mobs).

I'm guessing it also doesn't damage catcoons stumps or spider dens?

Thanks for the info.

2 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Bleh 15 turfs/tiles is a fair bit and it sounds like it happens rather frequently.. definitely turning it off if it remains like this (unless it no longer damages mobs).

I'm guessing it also doesn't damage catcoons stumps or spider dens?

Thanks for the info.

yes it doesn't hurt spider dens. Catcoon stumps don't have health so they are not affected either.

Seems to have quite destructive potential, given how there's no good way to deal with it, at best you can set up umbrellas around your base but those require manual activation, so what I am getting is that pen animals will slowly have their HP drained with this hail, which is really bad since not only would it be annoying to go get back certain animals, but grass gekkos are flat out limited, there is no way to get more if they die in your world and grass tufts run out.

10 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

AFAIK acid rain doesnt damage mobs, so it'd make sense for hail to not damage mobs either.

Does it? I mean this is literally glass falling from the sky on their heads I could stretch and say cave enemies had skin that could resist the corrosive effects of acid rain but sharp glass falling from the moon on their heads?

49 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Does it? I mean this is literally glass falling from the sky on their heads I could stretch and say cave enemies had skin that could resist the corrosive effects of acid rain but sharp glass falling from the moon on their heads?

Well you can have merms in caves immune to acid rain despite being surface fauna.

I'm just gonna quote myself "While dread stone helm, made with magical material hard enough for repairing the ancient gateway, cannot protect you from falling debris... this doesn't make sense already, why add more of this"

25 minutes ago, _zwb said:

I'm just gonna quote myself "While dread stone helm, made with magical material hard enough for repairing the ancient gateway, cannot protect you from falling debris... this doesn't make sense already, why add more of this"

I suppose it's just for consistency.

5 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I mean they do have scales which I'd imagine being better protection against it than most other things. And before you say Wurt she's kinda excluded from various npc related advantages.

You can also bring down beefalo, bunnies and moles can spawn down there.

Again my problem with hail isn't really it dealing damage to the player but rather mobs we need, this just screws with pens extremely hard for no reason.

2 hours ago, CuteC said:

Seems to have quite destructive potential, given how there's no good way to deal with it, at best you can set up umbrellas around your base but those require manual activation, so what I am getting is that pen animals will slowly have their HP drained with this hail, which is really bad since not only would it be annoying to go get back certain animals, but grass gekkos are flat out limited, there is no way to get more if they die in your world and grass tufts run out.

I'm uncertain about how on earth you can run out of grass tufts? Did you burn all of them in the upper world and caves? I protect all my resources even after Klei made them all renewable, I have a couple 3000+ worlds and have never even come close to exhausting grass geckos or grass tufts so I think you will be more than ok on this aspect. I'd just only go near your animal pens when you need to gather their resources and then leave the area. You can always get more if one does die in only one or two hits (tho I don't think they'd die in one hit)? The only thing I'd be concerned with is tamed Beefalo but I'll just give him an deployed umbrella

2 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

I'm uncertain about how on earth you can run out of grass tufts? Did you burn all of them in the upper world and caves? I protect all my resources even after Klei made them all renewable, I have a couple 3000+ worlds and have never even come close to exhausting grass geckos or grass tufts so I think you will be more than ok on this aspect. I'd just only go near your animal pens when you need to gather their resources and then leave the area. You can always get more if one does die in only one or two hits (tho I don't think they'd die in one hit)? The only thing I'd be concerned with is tamed Beefalo but I'll just give him an deployed umbrella

Well yes, we've never had something that can and will destroy your gekkos and grass tufts other than disease and even then that was removed, the other being wildfires and no one likes those (which now have a permanent solution mind you, finally).

I am fairly aware there's a lot of tufts but my concern is that they can eventually run out, given I've heard hail is rather frequent and it will eventually happen.

1 minute ago, CuteC said:

Well yes, we've never had something that can and will destroy your gekkos and grass tufts other than disease and even then that was removed, the other being wildfires and no one likes those (which now have a permanent solution mind you, finally).

I am fairly aware there's a lot of tufts but my concern is that they can eventually run out, given I've heard hail is rather frequent and it will eventually happen.

They are now renewable, tho I do turn it off. But besides that as an example I have 2 to 3 huge heards of grass geckos that were spawned in my worlds besides all the one's I've spawned in my bases spread across the world. Even if I stood by one herd for day's it still wouldn't kill them all. I'm just saying that maybe it's really not as bad as you think once ur in game and for end game content maybe it should! I'd be excited about having to finally worry about resources again.

7 minutes ago, LitulLola said:

They are now renewable, tho I do turn it off. But besides that as an example I have 2 to 3 huge heards of grass geckos that were spawned in my worlds besides all the one's I've spawned in my bases spread across the world. Even if I stood by one herd for day's it still wouldn't kill them all. I'm just saying that maybe it's really not as bad as you think once ur in game and for end game content maybe it should! I'd be excited about having to finally worry about resources again.

Are you talking about staying near them during hail or just like the game without the beta? Because obviously they're in no peril if there's nothing nearby that will attack them, otherwise they will be cleared.

51 minutes ago, CuteC said:

Are you talking about staying near them during hail or just like the game without the beta? Because obviously they're in no peril if there's nothing nearby that will attack them, otherwise they will be cleared.

Yes I'm talking about staying next to them during the hail. These aren't meteors that will decimate an entire heard in one hit (which would take a couple meteors to actually do) I'm also not going to run to every heard on my map and stand there for day's and just sit there and watch them all die because that's what it would take to kill them all. Even if I did all this to kill everyone of them in the overworld and attack the ones in the caves, I'd still be able to get more with lunar experiments or renewable grass tufts. This is something that I don't see being a problem for anyone.

Archived