Who else uses conduction panels without liquid?

Conduction panels are super convenient.  They have 3 relevant heat transfer properties: 

1. Heat transfer between itself and a building on the center tile
  2. Heat transfer from building to contained liquid
  3. Heat transfer between the building itself and the surrounding tiles

I prefer to use 1 and 3 for cooling, so here are a few uses:

In this one, I am cooling steel power transformers under my steam turbines in a vacuum.

zih02tc59qib1.thumb.webp.e3c5201cd8ff2b18eeb7f54afdbbdbe4.webp

In this one, I am using conduction panels to cool a sweeper and conveyor loader.

image.thumb.png.14685356a962cdab1c6f31acd8b7226d.png

Here, I am using a chained setup where my conveyor loader is cooled through my autosweeper, which is then being cooled by the environment.

image.thumb.png.2d1c27c1b477f2a4ee9fa1396783dd2b.png

I miss the fact that they used to have internal storage, but hey, devs gotta do what devs gotta do.

I like to use them that way as well. Having meteor blasters be self cooled this way is of particular usefulness... The blastshots take the heat away here:

image.png.ee6c19318a242d9dbe3008d1e6fb8a8b.pngimage.png.eb453f635e2d8e84f3ba8d97b4846bad.png

I'm slowly including them in builds where cooling performance is not really too important. For the rest, I'm still using the thermal interface plate mod. Specially for 1 tile applications where the conduction panel wouldn't comfortably fit without doing some weird remodeling.

56 minutes ago, JRup said:

I miss the fact that they used to have internal storage, but hey, devs gotta do what devs gotta do.

I like to use them that way as well. Having meteor blasters be self cooled this way is of particular usefulness... The blastshots take the heat away here:

image.png.ee6c19318a242d9dbe3008d1e6fb8a8b.pngimage.png.eb453f635e2d8e84f3ba8d97b4846bad.png

I'm slowly including them in builds where cooling performance is not really too important. For the rest, I'm still using the thermal interface plate mod. Specially for 1 tile applications where the conduction panel wouldn't comfortably fit without doing some weird remodeling.

Yeah, but I think they were a bit of a mess when they were like that.  I think the change is probably a positive.

31 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Yeah, but I think they were a bit of a mess when they were like that.  I think the change is probably a positive.

Also gone is the minor quirk of super chilling liquid inside them to entomb buildings. (Deconstructing the panel when filled with super chilled liquid would generate a natural tile and one could do so when the panel was built inside a metal tile and the natural tile would pop in the first free tile above.)

At least I got to make my chilly battery bank that way, I guess it's one of a kind now. Too bad I didn't do it with liquid gold, would've been a lot of bling.

Spoiler

image.png.8ffd04e5836c59fde565d900779d5141.pngimage.png.15077cbb4c6c684e53f56a05ecf259d5.png

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

Nice! Did not even notice that was possible. So essentially a low-mass temp-shift plate that works in vaccum? Or more limited?

Temp shift plates don't transfer heat from buildings though, so it's better has other effects.  I do use them as tempshift plates too though.

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Or more limited?

You are correct in that it is a vacuum enabled "tempshift" thingie. The actual limit is that you have to take into account that only the center tile works in a vacuum and it's almost as unwieldy as a liquid bridge and that pipes can't run through the middle tile and...

It works mostly fine...

It would be entertaining to have a version for gas as well, for reasons. I can't fathom how the art for it would be, though.

6 hours ago, JRup said:

Also gone is the minor quirk of super chilling liquid inside them to entomb buildings. (Deconstructing the panel when filled with super chilled liquid would generate a natural tile and one could do so when the panel was built inside a metal tile and the natural tile would pop in the first free tile above.)

Well you can still use the "empty pipe" exploit in combination with valving to avoid phase change to achieve exactly the same thing.

1 hour ago, JRup said:

It would be entertaining to have a version for gas as well, for reasons. I can't fathom how the art for it would be, though.

I too would enjoy having a gas version. TBH I use gas for coolant loops as often as I use liquid, more than once I've wanted a conduction panel for gas. Like an easy example is say there is space infrastructure, and say there is an oxygen pipe delivering oxygen to stuff, the obvious way to cool the infrastructure is running the oxygen gas pipe behind it. A radiant gas pipe inside a tile overlapping the liquid conductive panel works but a gas conductive panel would be more straightforward.

4 hours ago, blakemw said:

Well you can still use the "empty pipe" exploit in combination with valving to avoid phase change to achieve exactly the same thing.

This worked very well for me before song of the moo (sotm).
I then tried it again a few days ago post sotm with different amounts of liquid (0.1g to 1000g) and it only worked 2 out of 50 times or so. Most bottles just disappeared.
Did you use it sucessfully since the patch?
I used hydroponics as a workaround, which is more labor intensive for both, duplicants and player...

22 minutes ago, Yalp said:

This worked very well for me before song of the moo (sotm).
I then tried it again a few days ago post sotm with different amounts of liquid (0.1g to 1000g) and it only worked 2 out of 50 times or so. Most bottles just disappeared.
Did you use it sucessfully since the patch?

Yes, it has been working just fine for me. What were you trying to do? The bottles will merge into an existing tile if it lands on one.

Edit: forget it, I repeated a stupide mistake by using same materials... It works just fine

Edit2: One more note, the tiles absorbing the bottles and not properly displaying their new mass of 201 kg is what threw me off here... they are however indeed 201 kg according to debug mode or clicking twice.

--------------------------------------------------

Old Post:

5 hours ago, blakemw said:

What were you trying to do?

Fill pipe with below freezing temp liquid, empty pipe -> create below freezing temp bottle to form solid tile, expect, the bottles vanish.
Here's a demonstration:

Spoiler

On 8/18/2023 at 12:10 AM, JRup said:

It's basically a gas version already.  Just run a gas pipe behind the center tile.  You get temperature conduction: gas -> gas pipe -> conduction panel  -> other building.  It's how I'm cooling robo-miners in a vacuum for meteor shower clearance. 

Archived