Building stairs,tiles,insulated tiles sets temperature to 45C for them in vacuum

Hi all , that's my first post.

Tried to search for this but couldn't find anything on internet, so sorry if it's well known thing.

I made vacuum and dug into magma biome. Was building igneous insulted tiles. Some of the magma cooled down and become igneous rock debris. So my dupe took that 1400c(temperature) debris and constructed tile what was 45c... And I could repeat it with obsidian, it just deleted ton of heat. It worked in the space vacuum as well. Not sure if it the same in gases , just don't want to heat up my base if it's not :))  

its bug or feature?

Basically buildings are clamped to the temperature range of 15-45 C at the moment of completion, unless made of an ice in which case no clamping is applied.

This applies to all buildables and occurs independently of whether built in vacuum or gas or liquid or solid.

It can be quite a powerful heat deletion and production technique, for example it's useful on Rime to make areas preheated to 15 C, and you can also preheat dirt to 15 C by building Tempshift Plates out of it then deconstructing them.

On particular Spaced Out planetoids I often solidify magma by building Igneous Rock Tiles touching the magma, note that Tiles have a higher heat capacity than Tempshift Plates, because non-tile buildings have their heat capacity divided by 5, so a TSP with a real mass of 800 kg effectively only has 160 kg of thermal mass, compared with 200 kg for a Tile. Because tiles can be quickly spammed they can rapidly bring down temperatures.

It's also an immensely powerful technique for cooling down the output of untamed Metal Volcanoes, you might wonder why not build things directly with the hot metal, if the temperature is going to be clamped. The answer is that the debris RAPIDLY exchange heat with any tile they are on top of or inside, like building a metal tile floor could easily result in temperatures over 100 C. The solution is to order up like 20 TSPs 3 tiles above the floor (so a dupe can't stand in the tile), once they've all been constructed de-construct them and enjoy the now ~50 C metal. This is a great technique for avoiding the time and expense of taming a metal volcano in the early game: just crack it open, let it erupt, then bulk remove the metal via this method, during the dormant period make a proper tamer if you like.

One thing that this mechanic makes impossible is building stuff out of visco gel. Even though it is a plastic you "can" have a platic tile made out of solid visco gel when built it's temp is set to 15 and it melts... Not that anyone would need this, just a little bit of trivia.

Thanks for answers! How do I change topics name, I want to remove "in vacuum" , it can be misleading if someone looking for the same information. Could moderators help with it?

I thought to start building another aqua-tuner steam turbine setup for debris cooling. But now , I just build giant columns of insulated tales into space biome :D set it to low priority , so dupes do it last before done all other chores. Unless there is another game "feature" whats deletes mass :D 

5 hours ago, blakemw said:

Basically buildings are clamped to the temperature range of 15-45 C at the moment of completion, unless made of an ice in which case no clamping is applied.

This applies to all buildables and occurs independently of whether built in vacuum or gas or liquid or solid.

It can be quite a powerful heat deletion and production technique, for example it's useful on Rime to make areas preheated to 15 C, and you can also preheat dirt to 15 C by building Tempshift Plates out of it then deconstructing them.

On particular Spaced Out planetoids I often solidify magma by building Igneous Rock Tiles touching the magma, note that Tiles have a higher heat capacity than Tempshift Plates, because non-tile buildings have their heat capacity divided by 5, so a TSP with a real mass of 800 kg effectively only has 160 kg of thermal mass, compared with 200 kg for a Tile. Because tiles can be quickly spammed they can rapidly bring down temperatures.

It's also an immensely powerful technique for cooling down the output of untamed Metal Volcanoes, you might wonder why not build things directly with the hot metal, if the temperature is going to be clamped. The answer is that the debris RAPIDLY exchange heat with any tile they are on top of or inside, like building a metal tile floor could easily result in temperatures over 100 C. The solution is to order up like 20 TSPs 3 tiles above the floor (so a dupe can't stand in the tile), once they've all been constructed de-construct them and enjoy the now ~50 C metal. This is a great technique for avoiding the time and expense of taming a metal volcano in the early game: just crack it open, let it erupt, then bulk remove the metal via this method, during the dormant period make a proper tamer if you like.

doesn't ice get clamped to -15°C?

On 8/9/2023 at 4:39 PM, Pedro_L said:

doesn't ice get clamped to -15°C?

No, no clamping is applied to ice at all. There's a challenge mod called "100K" which adds a very cold asteroid which has ice at -160 C, and even the warmest ice is like -60 C. With a large part of the challenge being "melting ice" it's pretty obvious that ice tempshift plates have no lower bound on their temperature.

On 8/8/2023 at 7:22 PM, Robe007 said:

Hi all , that's my first post.

Tried to search for this but couldn't find anything on internet, so sorry if it's well known thing.

I made vacuum and dug into magma biome. Was building igneous insulted tiles. Some of the magma cooled down and become igneous rock debris. So my dupe took that 1400c(temperature) debris and constructed tile what was 45c... And I could repeat it with obsidian, it just deleted ton of heat. It worked in the space vacuum as well. Not sure if it the same in gases , just don't want to heat up my base if it's not :))  

its bug or feature?

I'm fairly certain it's intended.  If I recall correctly, it used to be that people would unintentionally cook their bases by building walls out of extremely hot rocks, which was an unpleasant gameplay experience.  To prevent this, they put in an upper cap on the temperature a new building can be.

Basically, they introduced a heat deletion "bug" to make the game more playable.  So I personally avoid using it intentionally for heat deletion.

11 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Basically, they introduced a heat deletion "bug" to make the game more playable.  So I personally avoid using it intentionally for heat deletion.

I figure if dupe's magical ray gun can reconfigure a lump of stone into a complex building then it should have no problem changing the speed of molecules.

In fact the way I see it, Dupes have access to some nanotechnology that is all locked up tightly with safeguards and corporate usage restrictions, if they could "root" their corporate technology they would have reality-bending powers. In fact their raygun should be directly usable as a freeze ray or melt ray but they can't unlock that feature because the payment portal is down. So they just have to make do with the features they do have unlocked which sometimes involves weird workarounds.

Archived