[Game Update] - Public Testing 566813

• Developer

This is a hotfix for the update currently in the public testing beta.

Changes and Improvements

• All versions
    • Duplicants can no longer manually deliver petroleum to the Blastshot Maker.
    • It is now possible to cancel a single move object chore when multiple objects are queued to move to the same location.
    • Updated Gassy Moo calling animation.
    • Milking Station outputs Brackene gradually during the milking animation instead of all at once when the rancher has completed the chore
    • The Critter Fountain now counts as a Grooming Station for the purposes of Room Qualification.
    • Plastium melts into Sour Gas instead of Naptha.
    • Adjusted Bleach Stone Hopper animation. 
    • Reordered list view of Materials subcategory in the Refinement category build menu.
    • Added sound for when duplicant get waxed before travel through transit tube
    • Added sound for all traps when they are disabled
    • Added Critter Fountain drinking sounds to Shine Bug

Fixes

• All versions
    • Fixed issue with the Spice Grinder causing duplicants to occasionally freeze.
    • Fixed Pancakes incorrect kcal amount.
    • Critters drinking from the Critter Fountain should now properly consume Brackene.
    • Fixed issue causing Moo to occasionally freeze when pathing to Critter Fountain.
    • Fixed a crash during Grooming Station usage.
    • Fixed issue causing Meteor Blasters to drop their munitions when target filters were changed.
    • Fixed issue causing "No Researcher Assigned" notification to linger after a researcher was assigned.
    • Fixed crash that could happen when a Space Scanner is placed near the edge of a world.
    • Milking Station requires Ranching II skill to operate.
    • Added a status item to Shearing station to show its skill requirement
    • Fixed issue causing research tasks to sometimes be researched twice.
    • Fixed event popup images not correctly displaying a Duplicant’s outfit when the activating Duplicant is wearing a primo garb or an atmo suit.
    • Fixed issue causing some stored items to disappear when Fish Feeder storage filters were changed.
    • Gas Grass will no longer briefly complain about a missing atmosphere when the game loads.
    • Fixed crash that could happen when destroying the Critter Fountain while a Critter is drinking from it.
    • Critters should no longer get stuck drinking Brackene from the Critter Fountain repeatedly.
  • Base game only
    • Fixed crash when Gassy Moos finishes singing due to missing Mooteor effect.
  • Spaced Out! only
    • Grubgrubs should be visually layered properly now when drinking from the Critter Fountain.
    • Fixed Plug Slug Critter Fountain animation.
    • Fixed a bug where sometimes a crash would occur whenever a meteor is destroyed by a Blast Shot.

View full update

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JarrettM said:

Milking Station outputs Brackene gradually during the milking animation instead of all at once when the rancher has completed the chore

Bessy here begs to differ, brackene by the bucketful!

image.thumb.png.31e10f644f922a389d0b53bb97dfc2ed.png

So 1 happy moo can support 10 critters. Not bad

Also if I count it right with that new bleach stone crafter gass grass can fully support its need of chlorine. Without any geyser or other sources. 

Brackene - brine -  salt - bleach stone - chlorine... 

Edited by asurendra
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, asurendra said:

So 1 happy moo can support 10 critters. Not bad

Also if I count it right with that new bleach stone crafter gass grass can fully support its need of chlorine. Without any geyser or other sources.

Brackene - brine - salt - bleach stone - chlorine...

This is a great update. My employees no longer need to take care of animals everywhere, and ethanol has its effects.

However, the status of moos is somewhat strange. I think the significance of making it able to produce milk is to tell us that it is milk, not to make us raise moos

2 hours ago, old esc coli said:

However, the status of moos is somewhat strange. I think the significance of making it able to produce milk is to tell us that it is milk, not to make us raise moos

Well, if you want ranching with fountain you need a lot of brackene. And producing it from seeds absurdly ineffective. Dupes need to manually harvest plants, manually deliver water into machine, operate it, and thats all for 4 uses of fountain? Pfff... For comparison, with moos all you need is to milk them once in 4 cycles. All other is automatable. And you get 40 uses of fountain with much less manual work. Also you will get a lot of free meat and some nat gas... 

• Like 1

So now we can continue the discussion on Brackene.

In the previous public testing thread, I said this:

We can't make definite statements until we find out how much the Critter Fountain is meant to consume, I'm thinking 10 kg would be "most balanced" but could also see 5 kg as a "good option" or 20 kg as a "bad option" depending how much the devs want players to use the fountain.

So in testing Critters drink 5 kg per use, making Brackene the "good option", each time the Plant Pulverizer is used, that allows 4 critter-cycles of Brackene induced happiness. The number of plants required:

1 Critter requires: 0.875 Nosh Sprouts, 2.5 Sleet Wheats, or 1.5 Pincha Peppernuts

Or if you want to sustain a normal ranch of 8 critters, it would be 7 Nosh Sprouts, 20 Sleet Wheat or 12 Peppernuts.

By another comparison, a Dupe needs about 1.75 hatches to stay fed, so a Ranch of 8 feeds about 4.5 Dupes, on the other hand without any buffs, a Dupe needs about 3 Plants to stay fed, the 7 Nosh Sprouts would feed only 2.3 dupes, so with Nosh it's a 2x food multiplier on Hatch-equivalent critters. On the other hand, the Sleet Wheat would feed 6.6 dupes so to make a calorie profit would require feeding critters better than hatches, like Sweetles laying Grubgrub eggs, but a profit is still possible even for Sleet Wheat. And yes, I know it's not directly comparable as most Critters need to be fed in addition to being groomed, except in the case of starvation-ranchable critters: Shove Voles (which lay 1 egg before dying), Sweetles (which lay 2 eggs before dying), but it is a point of comparison.

With Milking on the other hand, a Moo produces 50 kg/cycle so each Moo being milked sustains 10 Critters.

The balance of the Plant Pulverizer honestly looks pretty good at 5 kg per drink, for me it'd only be seriously worth considering with Nosh Sprouts, as the other recipes require way too many plants - I mean are you really going to grow 20 Sleat Wheat to not groom a single ranch? Which doesn't mean the other recipes are useless, they'd only be useful for misc and sundry uses of Brackwax.

Moos are strong, a Moo would cannibalize 10% of its production to be effectively "self-grooming", it's not obviously worth not grooming the Moo anyway, as a late game rancher will probably give like 2.5 cycles of groomed bonus.

In fact I'm going to disagree with my earlier statement: 5 kg per drink seems pretty balanced and 10 kg would be too mean, at least with respect to the Plant Pulverizer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, asurendra said:

Well, if you want ranching with fountain you need a lot of brackene. And producing it from seeds absurdly ineffective. Dupes need to manually harvest plants, manually deliver water into machine, operate it, and thats all for 4 uses of fountain? Pfff... For comparison, with moos all you need is to milk them once in 4 cycles. All other is automatable. And you get 40 uses of fountain with much less manual work. Also you will get a lot of free meat and some nat gas...

I don't think it's necessarily like this

In DLC, I can use mutated Nosh Sprouts to produce it, which will greatly improve efficiency. In contrast, moos requires liquid chlorine (or keeping it close to space), and although it's not difficult to manufacture, I still think Nosh Sprouts are much easier than that

3 hours ago, blakemw said:

So now we can continue the discussion on Brackene.

In the previous public testing thread, I said this:

So in testing Critters drink 5 kg per use, making Brackene the "good option", each time the Plant Pulverizer is used, that allows 4 critter-cycles of Brackene induced happiness. The number of plants required:

1 Critter requires: 0.875 Nosh Sprouts, 2.5 Sleet Wheats, or 1.5 Pincha Peppernuts

Or if you want to sustain a normal ranch of 8 critters, it would be 7 Nosh Sprouts, 20 Sleet Wheat or 12 Peppernuts.

By another comparison, a Dupe needs about 1.75 hatches to stay fed, so a Ranch of 8 feeds about 4.5 Dupes, on the other hand without any buffs, a Dupe needs about 3 Plants to stay fed, the 7 Nosh Sprouts would feed only 2.3 dupes, so with Nosh it's a 2x food multiplier on Hatch-equivalent critters. On the other hand, the Sleet Wheat would feed 6.6 dupes so to make a calorie profit would require feeding critters better than hatches, like Sweetles laying Grubgrub eggs, but a profit is still possible even for Sleet Wheat. And yes, I know it's not directly comparable as most Critters need to be fed in addition to being groomed, except in the case of starvation-ranchable critters: Shove Voles (which lay 1 egg before dying), Sweetles (which lay 2 eggs before dying), but it is a point of comparison.

With Milking on the other hand, a Moo produces 50 kg/cycle so each Moo being milked sustains 10 Critters.

The balance of the Plant Pulverizer honestly looks pretty good at 5 kg per drink, for me it'd only be seriously worth considering with Nosh Sprouts, as the other recipes require way too many plants - I mean are you really going to grow 20 Sleat Wheat to not groom a single ranch? Which doesn't mean the other recipes are useless, they'd only be useful for misc and sundry uses of Brackwax.

Moos are strong, a Moo would cannibalize 10% of its production to be effectively "self-grooming", it's not obviously worth not grooming the Moo anyway, as a late game rancher will probably give like 2.5 cycles of groomed bonus.

In fact I'm going to disagree with my earlier statement: 5 kg per drink seems pretty balanced and 10 kg would be too mean, at least with respect to the Plant Pulverizer.

I think the mutated Nosh Sprouts are a good choice, even with the addition of bugs that eat sulfur mines. It has a long growth cycle and does not require frequent harvesting. You can use a complete set of transportation equipment to transport it to your kitchen, and then build equipment in the kitchen. Dupes only need to be operated continuously in the kitchen. I put a pump in the kitchen, and even I directly transported hundreds of tons of Bottled water to the machine, which proved that the efficiency was not low. You can design a special pipeline system that uses automated connections and storage tanks (even liquid warehouses used in space) to allow your dupes to produce a lot of milk at once without wasting events on running (one reason I don't like moos is that it's the same way animals were raised, and dupes need to run a long distance just to milk/take care of one animal)