Is there any in-depth guide of Wormwood's ability to bloom?

I've been looking through the forums, videos or steam guides and I can't find any in-depth guide for blooming. All I can find are brief explanations that Wormwood blooms in spring and can be bloomed outside of it using different fertilizers, but none have solid values.

On 7/18/2023 at 11:33 PM, Danyl1999 said:

I've been looking through the forums, videos or steam guides and I can't find any in-depth guide for blooming. All I can find are brief explanations that Wormwood blooms in spring and can be bloomed outside of it using different fertilizers, but none have solid values.

If you can imagine Wormwood having a "bloomness meter," then you're on the right track! This meter plays a crucial role in determining Wormwood's growth and progression throughout the seasons.

Wormwood starts at Stage 0, with an empty bloomness meter and no bloomness gain. However, once spring starts or you apply fertilizer with growth formula nutrient (such as Glommer's Goop), Wormwood enters Stage 1. Here, he begins gaining bloomness at a particular rate, which is influenced by both the current season and the accumulated fertilizer.

In Stage 1, Wormwood's default bloomness gain is 1 bloomness per 1 second. But hold on, the rate doesn't stop there! The bloomness gain formula goes like this:

rate = season_multiplier x (1 + (fertilizer_storage x 1/128))

Let me clarify what these variables mean. The season_multiplier represents the season's influence on bloomness gain, with different seasons having varying multipliers:

• Autumn: 1x
  • Winter: 0.75x
  • Spring: 1.5x
  • Summer: 1x

The fertilizer_storage refers to the cumulative amount of growth formula nutrient you have used thus far. Let's see their values:

• Growth Formula Starter: 8
  • Fermenting Growth Formula: 16
  • Fermented Growth Formula: 32
  • Super Growth Formula: 32
  • Spoiled Fish: 16
  • Spoiled Fish Morsel: 8
  • Compost Wrap: 24
  • Glommer's Goop: 8

To move from Stage 1 to Stage 2, Wormwood needs to accumulate a total of 480 Bloomness (432 with Growth Spurt I, 360 with Growth Spurt II). With the rate of 1 this translates to the number of seconds, 480 equals one full in game day. Once he reaches Stage 2, both his rate and bloomness are reset, and the process starts anew.

Upon entering Stage 3, which is the final stage, Wormwood's bloomness amount is immediately set to 1440, equivalent to 3 full in-game days at rate of 1 (2160 or 4.5 days with Flower Power). Interestingly, the rate no longer increases with fertilizer application. In fact, the rate is set to -1, meaning that bloomness is actually lost over time. Note that during spring, the rate becomes 0, effectively pausing the bloomness counter, while in winter, the rate turns to -2, resulting in even more bloomness loss.

However, Stage 3 brings the possibility of accumulating more bloomness than ever before. The meter can hold up to 2400 bloomness, equivalent to 5 full in-game days at rate of 1 (3600 or 7.5 days with Flower Power). Fertilizer application no longer influences the rate, instead it adds flat amount to the total bloomness. To fill this meter, you can use the following formula:

flat_bloomness = growth_formula_nutrient x 7.5

You can use the same values as above to get the growth_formula_nutrient numbers.

Keep in mind that in Stage 3, the accumulation of fertilizers halts. Each time you apply a new one, only the amount of that specific fertilizer is included in the calculations. No longer are the previous amounts accumulated.

Let's see some examples

Spoiler

Imagine it's autumn, you just started a new world, and you apply Glommer's Goop to Wormwood. This will put him into Stage 1, and he will start gaining bloomness at a rate of:

• season_multiplier = 1 (autumn)
  • fertilizer_storage = 0 + 8 (Glommer's Goop)
  • rate = 1 x (1 + (8 x 1/128)) = 1.06

Meaning that every second, Wormwood will gain 1.06 bloomness.

Fast forward few minutes into the game, you find Spoiled Fish and fertilze yourself with it.

• fertilizer_storage = 8 + 16 (Glommer's Goop + Spoiled Fish)
  • rate = 1 x (1 + (24 x 1/128)) = 1.19

Now every second Wormwood will gain 1.19 bloomness.

Now suppose Wormwood has entered Stage 3, and his bloomness is set to 1440. You decide to use another Glommer's Goop. The bloomness gain from this application will be:

• flat_bloomness = 8 x 7.5 = 60

So, Wormwood's bloomness will increase to 1500 (1440 + 60), the rate remains at -1 bloomness per second

Hope this helps

16 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Hope this helps

Yes, it does. Thank you very much. 
So does that mean, I could prolong stage 3 (full bloom?) indefinitively, if I were to apply fertilizer every so often?

Say, using super growth formula. That would apply 32x7,5= 240 bloomness. With a decay of -1 per second in autumn/summer, this should last for 240 seconds = 4 minutes. So using the formular twice per day (or 4 times in Winter) would work?

6 minutes ago, Prinha said:

Yes, it does. Thank you very much. 
So does that mean, I could prolong stage 3 (full bloom?) indefinitively, if I were to apply fertilizer every so often?

Say, using super growth formula. That would apply 32x7,5= 240 bloomness. With a decay of -1 per second in autumn/summer, this should last for 240 seconds = 4 minutes. So using the formular twice per day (or 4 times in Winter) would work?

Absolutely! You can indeed prolong the Full Bloom stage indefinitely.

And here's bonus - bloomnesss rate increases when exposed to acid rain (outside of Stage 3) :D 
rate = season_multiplier x (1 + (rain_damage x 1/128))

THIS IS JUST WHAT I NEEDED!!

I had the wrong idea that Wormwood needed a lot of maintenance in order to maintain a bloomed state but it is fairly simple.

This information needs to be added to the wiki. I don't think I was the only one confused with blooming mechanics and IMO a lot of people avoid playing Wormwood because there is no information to be found regarding said mechanics.

12 hours ago, lakhnish said:

@Parusoid Very informational post!

How does this differ with wormwood in the beta now?

Thanks!

In current beta, below perks have the following effect on Bloomness:

Flower Power - Stay in full bloom longer
Upon entering Stage 3, Bloomness is set to 2160 (4.5 days) and can accumulate up to 3600 (7.5 days)

Growth Spurt I - Reach full bloom a bit quicker 
Stage 1 and Stage 2 require 10% less Bloomness to advance to next stage (432 Bloomness)

Growth Spurt II - Reach full bloom much quicker 
Stage 1 and Stage 2 require 25% less Bloomness to advance to next stage (360 Bloomness)

20 hours ago, Parusoid said:

Fast forward few minutes into the game, you find Spoiled Fish and fertilze yourself with it.

• fertilizer_storage = 8 + 16 (Glommer's Goop + Spoiled Fish)
  • rate = 1 x (1 + (8 x 1/128)) = 1.19

Now every second Wormwood will gain 1.19 bloomness.

Should it be  1 x (1 + (24 x 1/128)) = 1.19 ? 

and thanks for the detailed explaination!

5 hours ago, lakhnish said:

I tried using this mod yesterday. When I was in full bloom and trying to add fertilizer to myself, my meter wasn't increasing.

Do you encounter this problem?

That's how Wormwood blooming works, I thought it's bugging at first too. but it's showing the truth,  you can not stop decreasing the meter you only speed it up or down.

2 hours ago, SpikyShield said:

That's how Wormwood blooming works, I thought it's bugging at first too. but it's showing the truth,  you can not stop decreasing the meter you only speed it up or down.

The example that parusoid has says something different to me though. Which one is it?

On 7/19/2023 at 6:31 AM, Parusoid said:

Now suppose Wormwood has entered Stage 3, and his bloomness is set to 1440. You decide to use another Glommer's Goop. The bloomness gain from this application will be:

• flat_bloomness = 8 x 7.5 = 60

So, Wormwood's bloomness will increase to 1500 (1440 + 60), the rate remains at -1 bloomness per second

8 hours ago, lakhnish said:
13 hours ago, Pedro cc said:

I tried using this mod yesterday. When I was in full bloom and trying to add fertilizer to myself, my meter wasn't increasing.

Do you encounter this problem?

I don't recommend using the mod in beta as the developer of this mod is waiting for klei to officially release this update.

modbeta.jpg

41 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

The example that parusoid has says something different to me though

It's worth noting that the fertilzer needs to have growth formula nutrient for it to work in this way, but maybe in this case its more of a compatibility issue with the mod in beta

20 hours ago, lakhnish said:

I actually tried mod in beta and meter goes up upon fertilizer application

On 7/20/2023 at 11:30 PM, lakhnish said:

The example that parusoid has says something different to me though. Which one is it?

I bet, it works just exactly as parusoid said. I haven't used the meter, but I have played an entire year in full bloom fertilizing myself to keep it going.

On 7/21/2023 at 1:00 AM, lakhnish said:

It saying the same, read last sentence,  "So, Wormwood's bloomness will increase to 1500 (1440 + 60), the rate remains at -1 bloomness per second"
It means, no matter what, the rate is -1 when Wormwood is in full bloom, you only increase the storage.

Archived