feature request: more egg based recipes

Hello,

I recently started another colony after a hiatus (I often times do this after a big update breaks my current colonies). I do love all the new content and mechanics since the last update.

One thing I do would love to see in a future update is more omelette based recipes. You see, my current colony features 8 full ranches (3 drecko, 3 slickster and 2 hatch). You can imagine the heap of eggs this produces, I am sure more people have this. All of the excess eggs are being turned into omelettes, but those only give a +2 quality. Late game that is a problem when the duplicants have a lot of skills, have a high morale requirement and thus need a higher food quality. Problem is, the current high quality foods neglect eggs which leaves you with a lot of egg production going to waste. I do have a mod installed called Dupes Cuisine from Ronivan (love the mods from this person!) which allows you to use eggs/omelettes as ingredients for higher quality foods like a spiced omelette, or meat wrap. Since it does also involve higher level cooking with the gas range and/or more ingredients required, this is a fair solution.

I would request that something like this is implemented into the vanilla game, where new higher quality foods based on eggs be introduced.

Totally agree, the main issue with eggs and omlettes is they are just meat that didn't hatch, and the opportunity cost is too high to consider them. It's better to wait several cycles and get the meat instead of raw egg.

2 hours ago, pether said:

Totally agree, the main issue with eggs and omlettes is they are just meat that didn't hatch, and the opportunity cost is too high to consider them. It's better to wait several cycles and get the meat instead of raw egg.

True, unless they're fish eggs. Fish eggs get you 5600 kcal of omelet  vs 1600 kcal of filet per egg. And omelets can be cooked without dupe interaction. (I wish you could do this seafood and bbq)

In my current playthough, I have a box that takes no inputs and spits out enough omelets for 64 dupes. It's a little OP honestly.

I somewhat agree. I have a strict "no pip kill" rule and, since I nearly always ranch them for dirt, I end up having loads of omelette in nearly all my games at some point. 

In the beginning, that's actually a good thing since, as opposed to most critters, when pips are concerned, you get more Kcal out of their eggs than through their meat. (They are such adorable, cute, small creatures.)

But as I reach mid game and consistently get better food for my dupes, omelette accumulates.

That being said, that's not actually much of an issue since, as I end up taming experiment B52, all those calories eventually get converted into resin, but it seems like a bit of a waste of potential. All those eggs could become something better than just bland omelettes. Some recipes to turn them into better foods could be implemented.

For instance, one could get some delicious "omelette aux champignons" (Mushroom omelette). Quite an enjoyable dish if you ask me. Omelette is one of the easiest thing to improve. You just need to find something tastier to mix them with and, voila, you got a nice and healthy meal. (Trust me. I'm French.)

Archived