[Beta Update] - 553040

• Developer

Changes

• Mussel Beds now stack up to 10 (SW).
  • Decreased the collision radius of planted Mussel Sticks (SW).
  • The action key now prioritizes shearing over harvesting grass (HAM).

Bug Fixes:

• Introduced during the beta:
    • Fixed not being able to repair walls, Broken Clockworks, Broken Ancient Pseudoscience Stations and other structures (Base).

• Fixed using an item on another item in inventory in controller mode not returning to the correct HUD stage (ALL).
  • Fixed Splumonkeys dropping more loot than they should (ALL).
  • Fixed items perishing when stored in Chester and Packim Baggims when entering cave, ruins, or volcano worlds (ALL).
  • Fixed coconuts falling from Palm Trees killing mobs inside the player's inventory (SW, HAM).
  • Fixed the poison bubbles effect staying forever after the poisoned mob died during world save (SW, HAM).

View full update

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7
  • GL Happy 1

So far, with these beta updates, I think it would be safe to say that the game is in a much better place now. It doesn't feel as unstable as it did before, and it's been a blast jumping back into single player without having to worry about something disrupting a save or  something not behaving correctly. Additionally, the sheer quantity of mechanical changes between numerous things have been fun to learn about (I was so surprised when the Ancient Guardian, of all things, was reworked to be fought like its Don't Starve Together version). So, thanks to you and the team's hard work for patching the game up.

I don't know when these QoL patches will end, but before they do, I guess I'd like to give two suggestions as to what I'd like to see in the game.

- Whenever we craft turf, I'd like it if we could receive four pieces of turf from crafting instead of just one. Decorating a base mostly boils down to how much time a person is willing to invest in harvesting large amounts of resources, and is a timesink that could be improved if this change were to be implemented. I liked it in DST, and I think it would be a good change to see in Don't Starve as well.

- If I had to ask for one thing from DST, I'd like to see Marble Beans and Marble Shrubs. Marble is a strangely scarce resource, and in most cases I like to use it for Checkered Flooring. If it were to be implemented, it would also mean that Marble Suits could see more usage as well.

That's about it. I wish you guys luck in pushing this out to other platforms, because what's here is amazing. Have a good day.

• Like 4
  • Big Ups 1

24 minutes ago, TheKingDedede said:

Whenever we craft turf, I'd like it if we could receive four pieces of turf from crafting instead of just one. Decorating a base mostly boils down to how much time a person is willing to invest in harvesting large amounts of resources, and is a timesink that could be improved if this change were to be implemented. I liked it in DST, and I think it would be a good change to see in Don't Starve as well.

I asked for the same thing and someone pointed out that crafting turf is actually a survival mechanic in the singleplayer: Shipwrecked's flooding is stopped by man-made turfs.

So increasing the amount you get would actually be a nerf to the Monsoon season of sw. I consider that a valid argument against 4x turf crafting.

However when it comes to turf QoL, road's recipe should be changed to the dst one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I asked for the same thing and someone pointed out that crafting turf is actually a survival mechanic in the singleplayer: Shipwrecked's flooding is stopped by man-made turfs.

So increasing the amount you get would actually be a nerf to the Monsoon season of sw. I consider that a valid argument against 4x turf crafting.

I was thinking about that as well, and I still think it should be implemented due to the fact that it would be just one DLC's season being made slightly easier, but not completely invalidating the season's challenge/gimmick. Sandbags, when crafted, give you four instances of it when made and can stop puddle creep when placed directly on top of a puddle. However, the argument you shared is perfectly reasonable, since the man-made turfs themselves do indeed stop flooding in areas where they are placed (I understand that puddles can creep onto man-made turfs if they start from a different, natural tile). However, I am of the opinion that a change like this would be moreso for convenience's sake rather than a change that would invalidate the entire challenge of Monsoon season. A player would still have to invest time and effort into making the flooring, but the change would be universal to all DLCs and would not just exist to invalidate the puddle mechanics. It would also make it harder for Lure Plants to spawn near a player's base, but I would appreciate the fact that a lot of time would be saved on the player's time, which would allow them more freedon and time to do other things, for example exploring the map and defeating enemy mobs, amongst other things.

As for changing the recipe of Cobblestone roads to that of its DST counterpart, I have mixed feelings on it. It would make it easier to get the components needed to make it, but it would still be tedious to have to gather that many rocks without access to Hamlet's Iron Hulk, or earthquakes in base game/Reign of Giants caves, or Moleworm farms... Not to mention that Hamlet has its own recipe for its specific roads.

I'd still like to see the turf craft amount increased, however, but I understand that this might conflict with the game's balancing. However, I am arguing that convenience in this instance would be better than the, in my opinion, game balancing towards one season and making sure that it is still a challenge to deal with.

Edited by TheKingDedede
Grammar and quoted by accident.

I guess I'm an anomoly in this but I have never used the sandbags.

I always felt they were a pain to craft in the first year and just dealt with the consequences (and I'm rarely at base) and in the 2nd year, the puddles weren't really an issue for me since by that time, I had enough turf laid out so that it wasn't an issue.

Having 4 turf per craft in DST is such a major QoL, I get to actually spend more time building a base rather than spending said time painfully gathering materials for said base.

• Like 4

On 4/16/2023 at 12:15 PM, Szczuku said:

However when it comes to turf QoL, road's recipe should be changed to the dst one.

I think we'd also get x4 dense turf in hamlet too which would make nettles too easy. Though I think dense turf is special enough already it could just be made to yield 1 in the recipe anyway. 

For the betterment of the entire game though I would prefer x4 turfs, but I'd understand balance reasons why it wouldn't be added.

Maybe pecific turfs could be balanced though, especially the ones that are crafted from an existing turf since it would be silly for them to multiply in number.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 6