One thing that keeps bothering me is the lack of meteors in Spaced Out. I mean we got them but on a far away planetoid i haven`t visited yet despite how many times i restarted (or rather beacause of it). Belive it or not but i still don`t have the achievement for blocking a meteor as it was added after SO and i didn`t want to launch a vanilla playthrough just for that.

So this is my idea. A gigantic magnet you can build in space and once activated it will cause a meteor storm. Pretty simple.

But why do you want a meteor storm? Well it`s free resources. Some heat. And maybe it could grant you an artifact or some thing extra like a gassy moo from time to time.

So this is how it would work. You build the machine, power it and wait. After a random amount of time (somewhere between 1 and 3 cycles) a meteor storm starts. The starting moment is random so that building detectors and automating them isn`t worthless. Now you got at least a 2 cycle break before it causes another meteor storm.

The longer it`s on the better and rarer resources it pulls in so you want to keep it on and powered. Like a minigame. It would start with basic regolith and dust comets but soon it would draw in metal and rarer stuff like uranium. It would be a treadeoff to keep this thing going vs using the surface for power. Still with automation you`d get a few cycles of sunlight in between meteor waves.

On 1/14/2023 at 7:55 PM, Sasza22 said:

once activated it will cause a meteor storm.

Too bad the Temporal Tear Opener cannot be activated multiple times.

I would set up and run a nuclear power plant on that planetoid if it meant continuous uranium ore rain.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:25 PM, yoakenashi said:

I would set up and run a nuclear power plant on that planetoid if it meant continuous uranium ore rain.

Yeah my idea for it was to ba a bit of a challenge. The longer the magnet is active the stronger and more frequent the storms but also the payoff is better. If you could set up a system to mine out the resulting regolith and recover the other stuff that falls it would end as a continous uranium ore rain with a mix of other stuff falling occasionally as well.

Archived